need advice for my front s12 vg struts

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jyz77

need advice for my front s12 vg struts

Post by jyz77 »

I installed my 87/88 front s12 struts with factory springs and the front end has a rake. I tried searching, but could not find an alternative to cutting the springs to lower the car. Is there another spring that fits this strut setup that I can swap out to get the car dropped about 3 - 4 inches ?

I really don't want to go the coil over route.

thanks in advance.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: need advice for my front s12 vg struts

Post by datzenmike »

The spring rate is probably pretty high to hold up a VG and a heavier front end car. A lighter 510 is probably not compressing the S12 spring enough. What I would do is remove the spring, carefully trim the lower spring perch just above the weld, grind the weld down smooth. Now assemble but use a split collar under the spring perch. You can now adjust the perch lower on the strut and clamp the split collar under to hold it.. Keep in mind the spring and perch will be getting closer to the rim and tire now so take that into consideration before doing this.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Search here for DIY Coilovers, or I can link you to the DQ - this is what Mike describes above. $20 in parts and some of your time.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jyz77

Post by jyz77 »

ok.. thanks for the fast reply guys! I should have mentioned that I installed a vg33 in the car as well. I like the idea of being able to adjust, but based off the wheel tire combo I may have an issue with fitment.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Then get a shorter spring with the same rate, as long as you have enough travel to avoid stacking the coils. Lots of variables, so you're going to have to measure and experiment or tell us a lot more about what you're working with.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson