280zx Inserts

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
ctdavid73510

280zx Inserts

Post by ctdavid73510 »

I've finally located struts out of an 82 280zx that was being parted out. I want to shorten the struts. Does anyone have a part number for the inserts that are currently available? I see a lot of people mention MR2 struts but I'm not seeing year if it is a front or back insert. I want to order the inserts before shortening.
defdes
Supporter

Re: 280zx Inserts

Post by defdes »

Dave at Futofab carries the Tokico's which are superior.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

David, I go into great detail about using these inserts in my Bronze build thread, starting here;

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530&start=510

I used the rear gen1 MR2 inserts, TOBZ3099, I believe the front inserts casings are 11mm difference in length, but I don't remember if they are shorter or longer....I do know I shortened a set of struts for someone that used these, but i have shortened so many struts that I have lost count of the details. But I believe you'll find this section of my build thread interesting.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

FutoFab has 280ZX Illumina inserts (BZ3038) on the shelf and access to all Tokico shocks/struts that are in the US thru our wholesale distributor.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Dave Patten wrote:FutoFab has 280ZX Illumina inserts (BZ3038) on the shelf and access to all Tokico shocks/struts that are in the US thru our wholesale distributor.
Hi Dave. Are these the ones for the shortened 280zx struts? I haven't shortened them yet. Also wondering how much to shorten the struts with these inserts?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

ctdavid73510 wrote:
Hi Dave. Are these the ones for the shortened 280zx struts? I haven't shortened them yet. Also wondering how much to shorten the struts with these inserts?

Hi David - view my post link above.

As noted, it's a very detailed post including exact length that the strut needs to be shortened. Should get you on your way. And if you need someone to do the shortening work, let me know. I have done more that I can count, and many here for Realm members.

Byron
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

keep in mind that any shortening of the strut or bump stop will require relocation of the sway bar to below the tc rods. the stock oil filled inserts are easy to rebuild and easy to change the extended length if running a shorter spring.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
akara

Post by akara »

Byron510 wrote:David, I go into great detail about using these inserts in my Bronze build thread, starting here;

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530&start=510

I used the rear gen1 MR2 inserts, TOBZ3099, I believe the front inserts casings are 11mm difference in length, but I don't remember if they are shorter or longer....I do know I shortened a set of struts for someone that used these, but i have shortened so many struts that I have lost count of the details. But I believe you'll find this section of my build thread interesting.

Byron
Do you have any more of those spacers Byron? Or do you know of any strut inserts that are shorter than 280zx, dont require a custom spacer for the coilover tophat, and are affordable?
A lot to ask I know, but there are a lot of shock inserts out there! I've been looking a lot but every time I think I've found what shock insert to buy I figure out some issue with it like the body length is too short or too long, the threads or shoulder are wrong, NLA, too expensive, etc!
I am running BZ3038 sucessfully right now but I would like to lower the car a lot more.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi there Amaro,

Which spacer are you referring to?

I defiantly shorten the strut tubes to match the inserts, as noted on the page linked above. I usually machine off the stock strut hats at the same time, then cut the new internal threads.

Let me know if I can help you out further on your set up. I can voice that the MR2 set up shown on that link can go pretty low, if you have seen the Bronze, I was able to put the front X member with in 2" of the ground and still had 2" of bump. That's too low for the street, but definaltly "Icebouse Low Approved".

Byron
akara

Post by akara »

Byron510 wrote:Hi there Amaro,

I defiantly shorten the strut tubes to match the inserts, as noted on the page linked above. I usually machine off the stock strut hats at the same time, then cut the new internal threads.

Let me know if I can help you out further on your set up. I can voice that the MR2 set up shown on that link can go pretty low, if you have seen the Bronze, I was able to put the front X member with in 2" of the ground and still had 2" of bump. That's too low for the street, but definaltly "Icebouse Low Approved".

Byron
Yeah, right now my crossmember is around 2" off the ground and I am bottoming the 280zx inserts quite a bit,
download/file.php?id=8157&mode=view
these are the spacers I am referring to in your post here: viewtopic.php?p=89272#p89272
I have Ground Control camber plates that have a spherical bearing that fits the 280zx and 510 inserts, which I think is 12mm?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

akara wrote:

Byron
Yeah, right now my crossmember is around 2" off the ground and I am bottoming the 280zx inserts quite a bit,
these are the spacers I am referring to in your post here: viewtopic.php?p=89272#p89272
I have Ground Control camber plates that have a spherical bearing that fits the 280zx and 510 inserts, which I think is 12mm?
Unfortunately I don't have any around - do you know a machinist close to you?
The ID dimension would be the OD of the shock shaft plus .001", the OD would be .624", the height would be .005-.010" less than the height of the com10 bush (.615-.620"). As noted, I left a 3mm (.125") "washer" at the top to give the spacer some sort of structure given the wall thickness was a mere .017".

Hope that helps.

Byron
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Byron and others. Do the Tokico Illumina's have enough rebound control for 250 to 300 lb springs? I've heard they can be a bit under damped??
On price point Tokicos win... but will they last? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the Koni Race inserts?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Richard,

I had the Illumina's (5 way adjustable) in my AE86, with custom wound #300 springs. It was ok. In the summer I ran the setting at 5 and in the winter dropped it to 3.

At least in the case of my Toyota, I put over 200,000 Km on them....drove on gravel to go mountain biking, did some Solo stuff, etc, and they were still going strong when I sold my Toyota to the guy in Squamish, who then drove it another 4 years before getting rear ended, and raved about my suspension, the Duffy Lake road being his drive route.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

akara wrote:

Byron
2" off the ground? Dude save yourself some time, money and aggravation and raise it to avoid that bottoming. Naturally if this is a race car that's a whole other set of engineering.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

bertvorgon wrote:Morning Richard,

I had the Illumina's (5 way adjustable) in my AE86, with custom wound #300 springs. It was ok. In the summer I ran the setting at 5 and in the winter dropped it to 3.

At least in the case of my Toyota, I put over 200,000 Km on them....drove on gravel to go mountain biking, did some Solo stuff, etc, and they were still going strong when I sold my Toyota to the guy in Squamish, who then drove it another 4 years before getting rear ended, and raved about my suspension, the Duffy Lake road being his drive route.
Thanks Keith. I was a little worried about Illumina's as Jaz Dhanda had reported problems with his. Blew one shock and he felt that they weren't stiff enough for his 92 Camaro ( LB9 Police Special ). Mind you, that was a long time ago. The price point on the Tokico's is certainly better than the Koni Race shocks.