T3 Bump steer spacers

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
ctdavid73510

T3 Bump steer spacers

Post by ctdavid73510 »

I just installed none shortened 280zx struts with the spacer from T3. It doesn't look like I will be able to reconnect the sway bar and the tension control rods. When I but a jack under the control arm to lift it the car starts to lift before I get close enough to put the bolts in. Do I only need the spacers if I shorten the strut?
ctdavid73510

Re: T3 Bump steer spacers

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Also if I don't use the spacer will I have to swap struts left to right to clear the ZX caliper?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You need the spacers if your ZX struts are shorter, overall, than the struts your car came with from the factory. This is the strut housing itself, but also the spring height (not accounting for any difference in rate). Datsun had short, medium, and long struts for the 510, depending on the year it was built. The basic way to tell if you need spacers is to install your parts and set the car on the ground. If your LCAs are parallel with the ground, you're iffy, and if they're pointing up, you'll want them.

Without a spacer, you will run into caliper interference issues at approximately halfway through a set of pads, or you swap the struts left to right.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Swaps struts side to side? I've never heard of this.

LCA angle dictates where the roll center is. From what I've read you want your roll center 20% below the CG of your car. All the documentation points at the crank shaft being the CG on most cars. These pictures should help illustrate roll center VS. LCA angle.

As you can see its that even with "Flat" LCA's the roll center still stuck.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam