Any shops in SoCal to tap/thread inside a strut?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
That4doorKiD

Any shops in SoCal to tap/thread inside a strut?

Post by That4doorKiD »

I'm ready to cut my zx struts and shorten them to a 92 MR2 rear shock. I live in the valley and so far no shops "can" do the job. I've seen people cut 2-3 inches of the middle portion of the strut and weld back the top to the rest of the it, so you wouldn't have to cut off the threads.

Anyone familiar with similar ideas? And I do not want to buy a steel collar and weld it to the strut.
68 4doorFanatic
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Any shops in SoCal to tap/thread inside a strut?

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 6 Issue 3 - Strut Shortening and Economical Ride Height Adjustment: Suspension travel is always at a premium on a lowered 510. You want to get the center of gravity as low as possible for better handling and that cool racer look. Suspension travel is essential to good handling and grip. Shortening the strut helps restore some of the lost travel on a lowered 510. More available travel = more available grip = better handling. With this modification to your stock struts (or any strut housing longer than 280ZX) you will get up to 1-3/4" of extra suspension travel and as a side benefit end up with adjustable front ride height.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
That4doorKiD

Re: Any shops in SoCal to tap/thread inside a strut?

Post by That4doorKiD »

Oh?
68 4doorFanatic