Wheel Speed sensor installation

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Wheel Speed sensor installation

Post by VelvetHammer »

Anyone ever install wheel speed sensors on stock hubs?

The Motec system I'm installing has launch and traction control and would like to take advantage of it.
The data would also let me know when my LSD is locking up, or failing for that matter.

I figure I could make a two piece ring. The first half would be a mounting base for the second ring and get sandwiched under the bolt heads, the second ring (15 tooth? Researching...) would mount to the first ring and end up covering the bolt heads.

I should make this out of steel, right? I'm bit worried about the aluminum compressing under load, and those bolts are a pain to get to to have to check constantly.

The sensor would mount in a weld-in bung in the dust cover. Need to worry about flexion of the dust cover and air gap between sensor and toothed wheel.

Thoughts?
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Re: Wheel Speed sensor installation

Post by VelvetHammer »

I'm going to to take this as a "no"... I'll update as I engineer a solution.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Why not on the half shafts? Or the stubs on the H-160.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

Hey Mike, there will have to be a wheel on the half shafts or diff as well. I could point a sensor at the bolt heads back there but I don't think that resolution is fine enough. I'm running a CV kit so for finer resolution I could mil/ press a series of magnets into the alum spacer, or fab a ferrous wheel and sandwich it in there. There isn't a ton of space for a toothed wheel to stick out without getting close to the trailing arm. Mounting a wheel at the diff end of the CV kit is a very interesting solution but I'd need to fly a pretty long, beefy, arm off a mounting bolt on the casing to hold the sensor steady without a variation in sensor/ tooth gap. Might be tough given road surfaces out here in LA.

The Motec system works by taking Ground Speed from the front wheels (if using two front sensors it picks the fastest speed of the two wheels), and compares that with the Driven Speed of the rear wheels (if using two rear sensors is averages the speed of the the two wheels). Engine management reduces power until the two speeds match (or hits target Slip table). (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB8hEFPUWQg)
Last edited by VelvetHammer on 04 Jun 2017 18:56, edited 2 times in total.
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

For those interested here are some examples of the advantage of TC with higher horsepower applications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2ifNuiFOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEtZjeNacY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZJt91vwDY

My goal is 375-400 RWHP with a supercharged L-Series motor, and for it to be usable, and safe.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

The Suburu's have a bolt on speed ring on the hubs, aprox. 4" in diameter that problaly could modified to work. I'll see if have one and take a picture.
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

510wizard wrote:The Suburu's have a bolt on speed ring on the hubs, aprox. 4" in diameter that problaly could modified to work. I'll see if have one and take a picture.
That would be most appreciated!