Proportion valve

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
ajen68510

Proportion valve

Post by ajen68510 »

what make is recommend for a proportioning valve for rear brake disc conversion. 510. i have a 15/16 master front ZX brakes rear Maxima
thx
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Proportion valve

Post by bertvorgon »

I use the old "Direct Connection" one as it is kinda infinitely variable(within it's range). There are the screw type and the Tilton type, I would go with a screw type.

I have had no experience with the Tilton type so some one else can chime in. My experience has let me dial up MAX rear braking, then back it off a hair so I have no rear lockup issues. Things do change when tires, pads and fuel load change during a race type situation, but, since driving mine on the street now, I have not touched the rear bias. Here is one at Summit Racing, you could phone Specialty of course.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

I mounted mine beside the driver on the passenger side so I could actually tune it while driving, specially way back during the Westwood and Mission track days. That of course requires a bit of a plumbing issue as my brake lines are still under the car. I have seen others just mount in the engine bay for ease of plumbing.
Attachments
IMG_7709.JPG
IMG_7709.JPG (121.52 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
IMG_7708.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG (94.09 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

bertvorgon wrote:I use the old "Direct Connection" one as it is kinda infinitely variable(within it's range). There are the screw type and the Tilton type, I would go with a screw type.

I have had no experience with the Tilton type so some one else can chime in. My experience has let me dial up MAX rear braking, then back it off a hair so I have no rear lockup issues. Things do change when tires, pads and fuel load change during a race type situation, but, since driving mine on the street now, I have not touched the rear bias. Here is one at Summit Racing, you could phone Specialty of course.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

I mounted mine beside the driver on the passenger side so I could actually tune it while driving, specially way back during the Westwood and Mission track days. That of course requires a bit of a plumbing issue as my brake lines are still under the car. I have seen others just mount in the engine bay for ease of plumbing.
Thats the info i was after, was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. I assume you just purchase metric adapters. Thanks.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That would be correct if I remember correctly. Yikes, it is some 25 years since we put the BERT VORGON rear brakes on!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My 620 was on 33" tires and 16" lift. The rears would lock from the incredible weight transfer. A Wilwood valve turned to max (65%?) allowed front and rear to lock together. I mounted it under the hood to prevent me fiddling with it while driving. Best to set and forget. BTW they are illegal on the street but safely stopping trumps that.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

HELL...half the stuff on my car the Motor Vehicle guys would fail......

Keith Law
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

I ended up going with a Wilwood one , looks like it will to the job. Thanks for the input guys