Getting Control Arms Back In!

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Getting Control Arms Back In!

Post by TheHeretic »

Okay newbie when it comes to the rear suspension and have decided to take on the challenge of doing a new CV kit install along with new control arm bushings and R31 rear brakes. Got out the control arms and put in new Whiteline poly bushings. Went to put them back and WOW is everything super tight. Kinda squeezed in part of the bushings and have been using a rubber mallet and pieces of wood to "move" the control arm around to get it aligned so that I can put the bolts in. Still not done at this point and I have only worked on one side. Any tricks to getting them in there easier?!
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
RMS
Supporter

Re: Getting Control Arms Back In!

Post by RMS »

i have not dealt with the whiteline rear Aarm bush, but after dealing with many aftermarket bushings I can tell you the specs are not always the same as the stock bushes. cutting and filing me be required but often a bit of force and much lube will get er done. its also surprising how much clearance can be taken up by paint.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Yeah they were very very tight. Got one side in so tomorrow will go after the other side. Not much wisdom to pass on here...going to use even more lube on the other sides. That and a jack and a big rubber mallet was what I used. Tired now!
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Are you using Byron's brackets on the rear cross-member?
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

TheHeretic wrote:Yeah they were very very tight. Got one side in so tomorrow will go after the other side. Not much wisdom to pass on here...going to use even more lube on the other sides. That and a jack and a big rubber mallet was what I used. Tired now!
Do the Whiteline bushing have an inner steel tube running through the bushing butting against the ears on each side so you can properly set torque on the bolt?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I've used a c clamp to squish the bushings so that you can more easily wiggle them in between the brackets.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

It's a Datsport cross member so has their brackets on it. They recommend Whiteline bushings and the bushings have the steel inner tube for sure. Will try the C-clamp idea on the other side. Just used my fingers on the side that is in. Plus to Whiteline is that they are self-lubricating bushings. I definitely also used the grease they supplied but it's nice to know I should never have squeaking bushings!
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I have the Datsport brackets as well so the C clamp truck should work for you!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)