Wilwood brake caliper clearance issue.

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Wilwood brake caliper clearance issue.

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sup fellas I have 280zx struts with Wilwood brake caliper #120-9693 and what I was told by the previous owner a stock z31 rotor.
The issue Ive been having since I purchased the car with this caliper set up is any 15" JDM wheel I try to fit on the car the wheels face bolts make
contact with the caliper. Is there a stream line caliper that Wilwood makes that will remedy this issue? Just got a set of wheels for my car and I'm having the same issue as before. The only thing thats ever fit is Rotas due to no face bolts. Im at the point now that I want to replace this caliper set up and move forward with something that will work. I love these wheels I have and don't want to change them or go back to Rotas. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Here's a photo of the new wheel mocked up for attention.

ImageAME WHEEL by v p, on Flickr
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Wilwood brake caliper clearance issue.

Post by bertvorgon »

That Wilwood DynaLight is about it for the smallest, to deal with that rotor size.

By any stretch (pun intended) could you put a small aluminum wheel spacer in and still have wheel to fender clearance? I have basically the same setup (BrakeMan calipers which are the same as the Wilwoods) and space my wheels out, but, I do have flares. Depending in the height and width of your tire, you might be able to get away with a 1/8" spacer or so. As the wheel travels up, depending on camber setting, you might be able to get away with it. A good machine shop could spin you up 2 spacers at your required thickness no problem.

Here is a picture to give you an idea, you can see that the spacer just comes back a hair so that the hub of the wheel misses the caliper body, which of course would push any bolt heads out too at the top of the caliper.
Attachments
IMGP0340 (Large).jpeg
IMGP0340 (Large).jpeg (292.06 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

bertvorgon wrote: 04 Aug 2018 07:42 That Wilwood DynaLight is about it for the smallest, to deal with that rotor size.

By any stretch (pun intended) could you put a small aluminum wheel spacer in and still have wheel to fender clearance? I have basically the same setup (BrakeMan calipers which are the same as the Wilwoods) and space my wheels out, but, I do have flares. Depending in the height and width of your tire, you might be able to get away with a 1/8" spacer or so. As the wheel travels up, depending on camber setting, you might be able to get away with it. A good machine shop could spin you up 2 spacers at your required thickness no problem.

Here is a picture to give you an idea, you can see that the spacer just comes back a hair so that the hub of the wheel misses the caliper body, which of course would push any bolt heads out too at the top of the caliper.
Thanks for the reply bud. Yes I could run a small spacer if all else fails. But I would have to check the fender and wheel clearance since I'm not flared to be sure. I did notice that face bolts on are excessively long. So that could possibly be the issue right there. Im going to back the face bolts out in the caliper area and see if the actual locknut to the face bolts clears the caliper. If it clears then all I have to do is replace all the bolts with a shorter one that doesn't stick out the locknut. Why the wheel builder used such longs bolts is beyond me but no biggie. I also spoke with Don at DP racing and he offered a few different solution that might work. Thanks again for the photo and chiming in.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

So here's a video I made to the wheel maker showing him that the wheel bolts are to long. But the good thing is I have to 3 ways to fix this problem. First is shorter bolts for the wheel faces. The cheapest rout would be a custom wheel spacer by DP racing. Or I can get a new caliper bracket and new rotor and hat and that will move the caliper back 1/8" which is more than enough. Upside is I get to keep the caliper.

ImageWheel issue by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
B^2

Post by B^2 »

how much downside would there be from using the micro kit that t3 has vs the regular big brake? I want to say it's about an 1 inch difference in rotor size?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Two piece wheels along with most JDM wheels that I have seen do not work well with big brake kits. I went to a wheel that was made to give the maximum clearance possible. I have 12.2" rotors with wilwood dyna lite pro 4 piston calipers and I still have more the 1/2" clearance. I think it is closer to 3/4". I have more than an inch to the wheel spokes. You would probably need to have somewhere around 11" rotor with those wheels.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
cartel

Post by cartel »

all JDM wheels are extremely POOR for brake clearance-- what a "normal"wheel clears most jdm dont.. :cry:

i had to build 2 complete brakes kits over after the Works wheels showed up and didnt clear the brakes that the knockoff panasports by VTO did clear..

Don made me some new hats and i moved one set back 3/8" to clear--
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie