sticky caliper

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
RMS
Supporter

sticky caliper

Post by RMS »

every few months the driver side caliper on the womans DD starts to stick. well I should say caliper bracket as the newer piston seams fine. the last time I serviced the bracket it was well stuck and required a few knocks with the 2lb hammer to free up. I put a dab of never seize on the slide surfaces and a bit of oil on the springs. the car gets 100km on it 5 days a week. the caliper brackets were bought new over a decade ago and spent many years on my green 68. they have always had their pads replaced @ 50% and there are no visible defects like broken springs or steps in the slide zone. there is the common surface rust but ive had less problems with worse. :?

should I be sanding the slide surfaces ?
would disk quiet be better than never seize ?
do I just swap the offending caliper bracket with one from the pile ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: sticky caliper

Post by bertvorgon »

I have found that Never-Sieze in "open air" situations tends to dry out, I used to use just a nice heavy grease. Try that.

My favorite for a lot of applications is Lubri-Plate

https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Aut ... icant.html
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Re: sticky caliper

Post by RMS »

serviced the caliper bracket tonight. it was getting so bad it was shimmying on her way home. I slackened off the top bolt two notches and used a Qtip to apply a small amount of high temp ceramic never seize to the slide area. then did the same to the bottom hinge. the springs that support the piston felt a little weak and could be damaged by the heat.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!