Rear Quickor sway bar issue

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Rear Quickor sway bar issue

Post by datzenmike »

Geeez. I got one that looks just like this one 'cept the color. 3/4" too. Another that has little bends on the two arms and mounts slightly wider. Hanging in the rafters of my shed.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

So, I have been down this path before with my Quickor rear bar. 1st of all, it's a 7/8" bar so that gives the correct roll stiffness to offset the longer arms vs. the more common 3/4" 510 bars. It works as good or better than any of the shorter arm 3/4" bars, plus it's 3 or 4 position adjustable, plus it tucks up tighter than most any rear bar available for a 510. The lowest part is actually the crossmember mounting brackets, not the endlinks like most bars. It's a quality kit. I have one installed on both of my 510s.

That said, when I switched from 13" to 15x7" wheels with +21 offset, the wheels hit the bar at the same points shown in the OP's pics above. What I did was heat it up and bend the arms inwards enough to clear the wheels. It's Stressproof or similar steel, so you can heat it cherry red with a propane torch and bend it, let it air cool (do NOT quench), and it's none the worse for wear.

Before I did this, while the bar was still on the car, I put a turnbuckle with a couple short lengths of chain between the end links and twisted it down to pull in the arms the required amount to clear the wheels. You could probably do the same with a ratchet strap. Then, without loosening the turnbuckle, I removed the bar from the car, set it on a piece of plywood, and blocked up a template with pieces of 2x4 screwed to the plywood. Then I just heated at the corners and bent it until it fit my template, painted it and voila! Sorry, no pics, though. This was ~2002. Probably 35k miles on that bar since I bent it, with zero issues.

Oh wait, found a shot of my car from the rear. You can see how well the Quickor bar fits under the car.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Tedman wrote: 12 Apr 2019 21:01 So, I have been down this path before with my Quickor rear bar. 1st of all, it's a 7/8" bar so that gives the correct roll stiffness to offset the longer arms vs. the more common 3/4" 510 bars. It works as good or better than any of the shorter arm 3/4" bars, plus it's 3 or 4 position adjustable, plus it tucks up tighter than most any rear bar available for a 510. The lowest part is actually the crossmember mounting brackets, not the endlinks like most bars. It's a quality kit. I have one installed on both of my 510s.

That said, when I switched from 13" to 15x7" wheels with +21 offset, the wheels hit the bar at the same points shown in the OP's pics above. What I did was heat it up and bend the arms inwards enough to clear the wheels. It's Stressproof or similar steel, so you can heat it cherry red with a propane torch and bend it, let it air cool (do NOT quench), and it's none the worse for wear.

Before I did this, while the bar was still on the car, I put a turnbuckle with a couple short lengths of chain between the end links and twisted it down to pull in the arms the required amount to clear the wheels. You could probably do the same with a ratchet strap. Then, without loosening the turnbuckle, I removed the bar from the car, set it on a piece of plywood, and blocked up a template with pieces of 2x4 screwed to the plywood. Then I just heated at the corners and bent it until it fit my template, painted it and voila! Sorry, no pics, though. This was ~2002. Probably 35k miles on that bar since I bent it, with zero issues.

Oh wait, found a shot of my car from the rear. You can see how well the Quickor bar fits under the car.

Thats awesome glad you were able to address the bar hitting the wheels. Unfortunately for me I didnt feel comfortable doing something like that. I didnt want to take the chance on ruining the sway bar as it was not cheap. Thanks for the info.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !