Rear crossmember bushings

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Rear crossmember bushings

Post by KiKiIchiBan » 21 Apr 2019 03:51

Morning all.

Yesterday I went to re fit my rear subframe with my new SuperPro bushes that I purchased a couple years ago. The old ones came out surprisingly easy, I forgot to note what order the metal (with tiny rubber groves) shims and washers came off but putting it back together I don't think they're needed?

My new bushings didn't come with any hardware, so either I need to buy new metal washers/shims or I'm doing something wrong as the shape of the SuperPro bushes are concaved so the flat hardware would buckle if used.

Have I messed it up or am I missing something? Probably doing a rubbish job of explaining myself, I did search but couldn't find anything.

Here's some pictures.

Original hardware:

ImageSuperPro bushings by Kieron Ash, on Flickr

And new push pressed in:

This looks like what I need:

My Bluebird SSS Coupe #25
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

Byron510

Re: Rear crossmember bushings

Post by Byron510 » 21 Apr 2019 09:29

What I find amazing is that the rubber is stall attached to both washers. Dad's 510's were all fairly new cars, and my own wrenching was limited. By the time I started wrenching on my own 510's in the late 80's, this rubber was often in rough shape.

Hopefully these photos of the FSM and the Factory Parts Book can answer your question at to order of installation.
Factory Parts Book Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 2.jpg
Factory Parts Book Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 2.jpg (91.99 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Factory Parts Book Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 1.jpg
Factory Parts Book Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 1.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Factory Manual Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 3.jpg
Factory Manual Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 3.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Factory Manual Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 2.jpg
Factory Manual Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 2.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Factory Manual Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 1.jpg
Factory Manual Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 1.jpg (83.63 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 21 Apr 2019 09:36

After posting and looking at the factory parts book diagram - it would be impossible to assemble in the order drawn.

The assembly drawing should actually look like this....
Factory Parts Book Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 3.jpg
Factory Parts Book Rear Suspension Crossmember Bushings 3.jpg (79.55 KiB) Viewed 668 times
But in any case, I think you can see the order of the washers, large and small diameter, as well as the placement of the thick smaller dia washer at the bottom of the pile.

This topic came up recently with another build in SoCal, asking about torque specs.
And the NyLoc nuts I have found new at motor bike shops as these fine thread M12x1.25 nuts are commonly used on motor cycle axle nuts and are generally replaced quite often for obvious reasons.

Hope this all helps.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan » 22 Apr 2019 00:37

Those images are a big help, thank you. I need to track down a copy of the book.

The part numbered 81 I don't have, or on mine it was made up of 2 parts (possibly joined by the rubber that's separated) My stock bushings are flat across the bottom and the SuperPro ones are concave.

I'll try find the SoCal thread. Thank you again.

MK510

Post by MK510 » 22 Apr 2019 03:30

I have those superpro bushings and used only that concaved washer underside, nothing between upper bush and floor.

KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan » 22 Apr 2019 13:31

After spending some more time with it today, I'm at the conclusion that however it was fitted in my car is different from the others I've seen online. I have a flat washer on mine. I've gone over old pictures and that's how it was fitted before I took it apart.
The ones I've seen like the red bushings above, I think thats 83. Does anyone have a pair they could ship over to me?

This is another one I've found online backing up my thoughts

ImageScreen Shot 2019-04-22 at 21.17.12 by Kieron Ash, on Flickr

Need that metal washer.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 22 Apr 2019 15:00

Just and FYI, here are two examples of the "savage" diff mount washers. The thick aluminum one is mine, we trimmed and pushed the diff up as high as possible to help with half shaft angularity.

The other just "locks" up the rubber so it does not flex.
Attachments
flat washer used.jpeg
Customer car
flat washer used.jpeg (270.74 KiB) Viewed 586 times
diff mount washer.jpeg
My car
diff mount washer.jpeg (319.28 KiB) Viewed 586 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

yenpit

Post by yenpit » 22 Apr 2019 15:23

I have the big "cupped" washers if you need them........did not see them in your pic of your hardware. They face down, on bottom of the subframe. Your bushings appear "cupped", so I bet that's what you need. I also have the thick small washer that goes up inside the "cup". Yes I can ship via the US Post Office to the UK..............ain't cheap, but I'm happy to do it. PM me your EMAIL if you want some pics of what I think you need!

TJ
Denver Colorado
72 510 4dr
1965 Mustang GT Coupe
2003 Saturn LW300 - wow!
LOTS of 510 parts!

KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan » 22 Apr 2019 22:45

Thanks TJ.
Bert, my diff mounts are okay and fitted easily with some threaded rod and washers I used for bike bearings. Just the crossmember I’m struggling with but maybe fixed now.