Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
510rob

Re: Another 72 510

Post by 510rob »

gooned wrote:Man that floor is solid!

Keep it going...
memories --- maybe we should foolishly torch it in half?
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Keep it going...
Thanks Jamie I appreciate your positive words, yes it is solid. I do think that this does have some good bones to work from, what I have seen on the Realm this is a normal amount of repair to the floor area. As we have cruised together to Knox I do think that the car is worthy of this sort of repair. Stay toned as ther is more to come...
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

510rob wrote:

Keep it going...
Boy not sure what you are looking at??? Where is your build projects?
What do you have to offer? Other than negative comments?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

No, no worries on the comment. This would be an inside story between Rob and Jason from a project many years back - not negative at all, but a good story to share in person. Why don’t you all attend the Christmas party this year and share it, Jason (and family, Rob and Greg. As Lou might say, this would likely be a 2-3 beer story :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Byron510 wrote:No, no worries on the comment. This would be an inside story between Rob and Jason from a project many years back - not negative at all, but a good story to share in person. Why don’t you all attend the Christmas party this year and share it, Jason (and family, Rob and Greg. As Lou might say, this would likely be a 2-3 beer story :-)

Byron
It would but being it's a Christmas party better bring more suds 8>) Got our first snow Saturday, a good 6". The grand kids had a ball on their home made toboggan ride and expecting more tomorrow 8>) Sorry no snow pics..

Lou "One beer every 50' in the snow makes for fun removal when you have a 200' driveway"
5101.jpg
5101.jpg (409.75 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
gooned

Post by gooned »

Yeah, the cut it in half comment was retrospective not negative (Jason here with the M56)

FYI Rob I still have the ice racer stored in a ziplock bag with its last regi :shock: ...that'll give the rest of the gang an idea of how small it got cut :cry:
510rob

Post by 510rob »

66DUCE wrote:
510rob wrote:

Keep it going...
Boy not sure what you are looking at??? Where is your build projects?
What do you have to offer? Other than negative comments?
My comment comes from having been a (contributing) member of the local 510 community for more than 25 years. My build site is on here somewhere. Life took a few turns and sidelined that project for a while. (Maybe I am ADHD and have too many interests? Cam? What do you think?) I have plenty to offer, across a wide spectrum of fields. This is always a matter of perspective though. Because you don't know me, it probably seems to you that I am just a complainer who shat in your sandbox. That was not my intent. For that, I apologize.

Here's the context to my little quip to Jason's (gooned) quip about your perfect floor. Decades ago, Jason decided to tube frame his car (the car everyone knew as the orange and white Bow-Wow car). As the 'plan' progressed, more car was cut away than tubes were added back in place of the disappearing sheet metal. When the 'plan' was vastly improved by him buying Andy's old Colt, it came down to the Bow-Wow car's floor... I said I wanted the firewall to repair some holes in my car's firewall. Being efficient young lads, we got out a torch and cut the floor in half. Gary (Jason's dad) walked up and muttered, "Hmmm, that was a perfect floor. Someone probably could have used that." Yes, it was a perfect floor. We just stood there looking dumb and feeling dumb, realizing what had been pointed out to us. A perfect floor is a good thing to hang on to, but we'd just split the car - and the floor - in half with a torch, in a rather rough and hasty manner so I could load the front clip into my dad's utility trailer. Oh, youth.

If you go to the Christmas party, ask Jason about the Superbird wing.

Cheers, and sorry that you got the impression that I was being rude or negative - not my intention. If anything, I look on with mild jealousy and optimistic enthusiasm.

The floor now returns to 66DUCE.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Oh gawd the f'n wing :cry: :? :roll:
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Got busy removing the drive line lowered engine and trans down onto a rolling cart, then lifted the car off the drive line with the cherry picker. Still possible with the struts still attached but engine cross member still attached to engine. (much more involved from when I installed it using a 2 post hoist!!!)

Cleaned up and welded shut the holes after eliminating various relays from engine compartment that wont be used when it all go's back together. Going to fix the battery tray area soon would like to have a smooth transition like on the drivers side.

Fitted some metal to fix the overly large hole for the original fuel line (was the return line for the KA24DE swap) I am gong to re-route the supply and return line upon re-assembly.
welded patch in place and ground down.
What do most do with the threaded holes for the horns?
I am undecided if I am going to re-locate the horns in front of the rad support. I am heading towards hiding the engine compartment wiring for all the lights/engine controls

Any Ideas?
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

i would definitely move the horns if i were you.
hiding wires looks good but i prefer neat wiring over hidden wiring.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I bolted my horns underneath that sheet metal using the same holes. Probably slightly less functional but it's nice to have them out of the bay.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I bought some Honda Odyssey horns from the wreckers, as I had pitched my 510 horns many years ago. They are low profile and have a very sharp sound. I mounted mine under the rad support. Now my air dam hides them, but I do not think they actually hang down that low. There is a nice bolt hole there for grounding the horn(s).

Give you an idea at any rate.
Attachments
IMGP3051 (Small).JPG
IMGP3051 (Small).JPG (105.99 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
IMGP3050 (Small).JPG
IMGP3050 (Small).JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
IMGP3049 (Small).JPG
IMGP3049 (Small).JPG (105.21 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
IMGP3048 (Small).JPG
IMGP3048 (Small).JPG (107.07 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks for the suggestions Jordan and Keith. I will look at both Ideas and see what I can come up with.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Heinrich wrote:i would definitely move the horns if i were you.
hiding wires looks good but i prefer neat wiring over hidden wiring.
Thanks Heinrich, I am torn how to go about hiding the wiring at this point I also like neat wiring in a loom look.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Moving to the other side of the engine bay, going to remove the washer bottle bracket and weld up the hole for the side marker wiring.
Bracket removed and spot welds ground down hole filled and welded for wiring.
Checked under the center drain panel for debris and felt a lot of crap there, concerned for what might be looming under the panel I decided to remove to investigate, luckily only surface rust.
Moving on to the accelerator pedal area, the hole from the stock linkage is huge so I filled it, welded some nuts to secure the stock accelerator cable from the donated 240sx.