ace028's 72 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
ace028

Re: ace028's 72 2 door

Post by ace028 »

Slight update on the car, Troy is very busy and he works on my car when he has time, but here it is back from the media blasters awaiting seam welding and to check over my repairs. He is also going to repair any rusty sections of the floor, and then the entire car will be sent out for powder coat primer.

I have sent a couple pieces I had to be blasted and powder coated. I was checking out the finish, and am satisfied with the results.

Progress is slow, but eventually it will all come together. I'm not loosing hope in this lil car.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Progress looks good, keep the updates coming.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks Byron, I'm hoping Troy will get to some of the stuff soon, but I know he's busy, and my funding is mostly why its taking so long to make progress.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

So its been almost a year since an update, but here are some pics. Progress has been much slower then anticipated due to some life stuff, but i'm sure thats with everyones build lol, nevertheless I'm not giving up and its looking pretty good now.

Here the media blasting revealed less then ideal floors.

New floor pans installed and the front clip welded up pending a powder prime.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Nice clean metal work, good job. Who pressed out the pans? Look good.

Also, what necessitated the cowl area work?

Byron
ace028

Post by ace028 »

I'm not sure where Troy got the pans from. I had to remove the cowl when I separated the wrecked front end from the car, it allowed me access to separate the factory spot welds.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Back from powder coat prime, next stop fitting a suspension and brakes.

ace028

Post by ace028 »

Today I went to check out the car, and go over what the next steps will be to get it to a nice roller. Not really much of updates from the last post, once I start getting some eye candy parts on it, it will be much more exciting. Anyways I thought I should update with a few pictures.

The futofab fenders and hood look pretty nice, Troy said they will need a little tweaking to fit just right as he said on all the repo fenders he's ran into the same issue. Needless to say, they are a huge improvement on the scrap metal ones that came with the car when I bought it.
The transmission tunnel, it will get cut and a datsport one will go in, but I will wait until I find a sr20 and trans so I can make sure the shifter hole is centered just right.
Troy seam welded the front end all back up, and the repaired section looks like it was never hit.
Some of the holes will be closed up, but I want to mount everything first just in case some will be used to save on work.
Car is really looking like a car now, I was losing all motivation, but I'm glad Troy was able to come through and help me get it back to a solid chassis. He said the car looks really good, and he's surprised that there is hardly any rust and how straight it really is.

Next his stage 2 coilovers will be fitted so we can make it roll again. If you are wondering why not paint, that is because it will remain in storage or garage until I get the engine and all components sourced and fitted. Once everything is located and accounted for, all remaining holes will be filled, and body work, then paint. So it will basically get assembled, then taken apart, paint, then reassemble. But that is way down the road. Lets get it complete first.

Troy had lots of 510s in his shop, but this beauty caught my eye, kinda hard to miss the bright yellow paint, but it really is beautiful. One day I might get one of these after the 510 is done.

ace028

Post by ace028 »

Not much to update, however I did purchase these nice pillar vents. Once I go through all my parts, I will transfer the plastic inner on my 70's plastic vents to these as it has mounting provisions as you can see. I am thinking of polishing them, considering clear hard anodizing and painting the inside black to match the factory theme. Thoughts?

greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

That is great progress. Those vents are really impressive.
When i read your build thread I realized I had seen that car when boltupright had it. It was really nice (and very complete still), and I thought long and hard about acquiring it. Really glad someone is saving it!
cheers
ace028

Post by ace028 »

It would be really cool if someone posted pics of what it use to look like before I got it. Would be cool to know the back story on it. Maybe it last drove 15 years ago?
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Quick update, Troy has fitted the hood and fenders, and found doors that were not rusted out. They will be getting blasted and coated just like the rest of the car. The rear subframe has been modified. It will be sand blasted and powder coated along with the front flipped crossmember and control arms. Hope to have a update next week. Soon it will be back on the ground with coil overs and big brakes!!! Can't wait!!! Now I need to save for a SR20.....

ace028

Post by ace028 »

Update, I got the car home. Going to put what I have on to see what I have and need (I will need a lot of stuff). This will give me a good idea of where to start with it next.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Nice adjustable camber toe brackets! :-D

Project is coming along well.

Byron
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks Byron. Its such slow progress, but its progress