'71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

View and post your 510 project(s)
Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1194
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by Three B's Racing » 02 Feb 2018 05:28

Wow your engine isolators are really stressed. Looks to me like all you need to do is modify the steel engine mount to properly fit the stock 510 isolators sitting in their original stock position on the crossmember. This is what I did for my SR but I did it with everything out of the car. If the diff is a Subi R180 you'll have to replace that flange with a Datsun flange anyway as the stock 510 driveshaft won't bolt to it. If it's a R160 Subi it'll go in easily, atlease that's my experience. Only hard part is lifting the diff up into that hole without knocking over you beer, I hate it when that happens 8>) come spring time I should drive down to you place and we can hang out.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

demo243
Posts: 122
Joined: 19 Dec 2012 18:55
Location: Topsfield MA

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by demo243 » 02 Feb 2018 16:42

Three B's Racing wrote:Wow your engine isolators are really stressed. Looks to me like all you need to do is modify the steel engine mount to properly fit the stock 510 isolators sitting in their original stock position on the crossmember. This is what I did for my SR but I did it with everything out of the car. If the diff is a Subi R180 you'll have to replace that flange with a Datsun flange anyway as the stock 510 driveshaft won't bolt to it. If it's a R160 Subi it'll go in easily, atlease that's my experience. Only hard part is lifting the diff up into that hole without knocking over you beer, I hate it when that happens 8>) come spring time I should drive down to you place and we can hang out.
Thats the plan, take a bunch of measurements, ideally with the car at the shop and rework the steel engine mounts to allow 510 isolators bolted in the stock upper position.

All my diffs are 160s. The Subaru LGT and WRXs all run R160s with twice as much power, in my opinion if your blowing up R160s your trying to do so... not to say I wont go R180 some day... they are more readily available with clutch limited slips now a days.

I might be making the drive up to you hahaha - 510 is down in CT for now... but Im hoping to get it up to MA for at least a little bit this summer. Were in our rental till May '19, but once its up were hoping to buy a house, which must include a garage... or the space and ability to build one.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - NOW powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE

demo243
Posts: 122
Joined: 19 Dec 2012 18:55
Location: Topsfield MA

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by demo243 » 05 May 2018 20:00

Finally got some time to work on the dime. Went down to CT for a few days to take care of some issues.

Pulled the engine the reseal the oil pan--- hoping it holds this time...
Image20180503_152105 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Tried to use the "stock" 2?0z trans mount.. but it dropped the trans too far and in turn angled the engine too far back so it hit the firewall... oh well back to the poly mount...

Got a new TPS sensor and adapter for throttle shaft--- and it works! Which allowed me to finally update to a real ignition map. Ill have to screenshot a photo of it later, but its basically a tweaked version of Dukes map adjusted for a TPS sensor instead of MAP. Could probably use some fine tuning, but it works for now and the car runs much better then the flat 15 degree map I was running before.
Image20180505_171845 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

For anyone interested, and hopefully this helps someone else since I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out... Kinsler Fuel Injection sells these TPS sensors, and this adapter for a 3/8" throttle shaft (such as the one available from pierce manifolds) I used the clockwise rotation sensor for my application.
ImageScreen Shot 2018-05-05 at 10.55.52 PM by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Some engine shots... it just looks too good!!!
Image20180413_172927 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20180413_172945 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Also worked out a few other electrical kinks - added a second fuse panel. Got the reverse lights working. Got the AFR wideband gauge working. And finally got my speedo working!!! Ended up being a bent pin in the vss sensor, carefully bent it back and it works. All my gauges work now!!!!

So since everything was working I took it out for a spin ---
Image20180505_200811 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20180505_200833 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - NOW powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE

demo243
Posts: 122
Joined: 19 Dec 2012 18:55
Location: Topsfield MA

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by demo243 » 25 Apr 2019 18:09

Haven't had much to update since the move back east. With the car being stored in CT and living in an apartment in MA... there weren't many updates... until now. We bought a house which means the car gets to come back up. The garage is small... but big enough to fit the 510 and a nice work bench. ultimate plan is to tear it down and build a nice 2 car garage... we'll see how long that takes....

anyway...

Yesterday was the day to bring her to the new home.

Picked up a Uhaul trailer and did the round trip MA->CT->MA in today to bring her home!

Image20190424_113941 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20190424_113949 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20190424_114003 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20190424_171809 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

We'll see... future updates may be slow as well cause the house needs love too, but at least Ill have the 510 to cruise around in.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - NOW powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE

User avatar
JLsKA
Posts: 45
Joined: 06 Feb 2012 00:56
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by JLsKA » 19 May 2019 02:02

Hey Devon,
Enjoyed your build! ...What fan are you running, a puller or pusher?
I'm wanting to upgrade my Rabbit radiator/pusher fan to the AFCO/puller fan... but I fear there's not enough room, unless I can find an ultra slim puller.

demo243
Posts: 122
Joined: 19 Dec 2012 18:55
Location: Topsfield MA

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by demo243 » 21 May 2019 08:07

JLsKA wrote:
19 May 2019 02:02
Hey Devon,
Enjoyed your build! ...What fan are you running, a puller or pusher?
I'm wanting to upgrade my Rabbit radiator/pusher fan to the AFCO/puller fan... but I fear there's not enough room, unless I can find an ultra slim puller.
It's a mishimoto fan don't remember exactly what size... I think 12"... set up a pusher right now, but I've got it mounted too far away from the radiator so it's only works ok... need to mount it directly to the radiator or build a shroud for it.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - NOW powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1194
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by Three B's Racing » 21 May 2019 10:02

Awesome!! Maybe we can both drive to Summit Point WV for the East Coast 510 Meet next year. This years was excellent with good weather and lots of racing and great company, even a transmission replacement was performed. My drive from NH and back home was awesome. A few new guys looking forward to next year and a few old 510ers we haven't seen in a few years returned and will be back next year.
SP2019.png
SP2019.png (415.31 KiB) Viewed 130 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

demo243
Posts: 122
Joined: 19 Dec 2012 18:55
Location: Topsfield MA

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by demo243 » 23 May 2019 19:15

Three B's Racing wrote:
21 May 2019 10:02
Awesome!! Maybe we can both drive to Summit Point WV for the East Coast 510 Meet next year. This years was excellent with good weather and lots of racing and great company, even a transmission replacement was performed. My drive from NH and back home was awesome. A few new guys looking forward to next year and a few old 510ers we haven't seen in a few years returned and will be back next year.
SP2019.png
Hoping too! It was just to much this year... still feeling the new engine and everything out...
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - NOW powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1194
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by Three B's Racing » 24 May 2019 07:09

demo243 wrote:
23 May 2019 19:15
Three B's Racing wrote:
21 May 2019 10:02
Awesome!! Maybe we can both drive to Summit Point WV for the East Coast 510 Meet next year. This years was excellent with good weather and lots of racing and great company, even a transmission replacement was performed. My drive from NH and back home was awesome. A few new guys looking forward to next year and a few old 510ers we haven't seen in a few years returned and will be back next year.
SP2019.png
Hoping too! It was just to much this year... still feeling the new engine and everything out...
I hear Ya.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Post Reply