Stu's 1972 4 Door

View and post your 510 project(s)
cwd240z
Supporter

Re: Stu's 1972 4 Door

Post by cwd240z » 13 May 2020 14:09

Nice job on the strut housings. I recently had to buy an M20x1.5 die to repair some of the threads on one of my rear axles and thought that one was pretty big, BUT that tap for those struts is massive!
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z

Stu
Supporter

Half-Shaft Rebuild

Post by Stu » 21 May 2020 22:29

Not a ton of pictures this time (this is a messy job and forgot to grab the phone for photos).

I had contacted a couple of my local driveline shops about rebuilding my half-shafts and nobody wanted to deal with the 'center' portion where the balls and spacers are. So, I bead blasted the axles (u-joints still in) to remove the rust/paint, but protect the mounting surface, removed the old u-joints using my shop press (marking the mating parts with a punch), disassembled the sliding joint, degreased all of the spacers/balls, and painted the parts (masking where the caps go). Getting the center section apart requires a good set of snap ring pliers. I did take one picture to remind me which end the spacer/ball pattern starts.

Spacer on this end:

It is a pain in the ass to get the balls/spacers to line up and not fall out when you put them back together. You have to roll the assembly up and down between the two extremes to get them to seat properly. I struck them to the 'center' then pushed the whole thing into the 'tube'. I used an entire tube of CV joint lube between the two axles. My boots and other bits and pieces looked fine so reused them.

Once assembled, I took them to the driveshaft shop (I hate installing u-joints like I hate installing drywall) and they put in nice made in Japan joints:

Not super exciting, but one more thing ready to go back in when the time comes.
Stu

72 4-door 510
Factory Five Racing Cobra
2005 Mini Cooper S
91 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab

iceman510

Post by iceman510 » 22 May 2020 08:29

Nice results. Looks good. I have been considering doing this myself. Boots are still available from Nissan I believe.

cwd240z
Supporter

Re: Half-Shaft Rebuild

Post by cwd240z » 22 May 2020 12:52

Stu wrote:
21 May 2020 22:29
Once assembled, I took them to the driveshaft shop (I hate installing u-joints like I hate installing drywall) and they put in nice made in Japan joints:
Great info on how the half-shafts come apart. I did just the opposite with my u-joints. I had a hell of a time pressing the old ones out so I took them to a driveshaft shop and had them do it (had to take my driveshaft to be shortened anyway), but I pressed the new ones in fairly easily.
iceman510 wrote:
22 May 2020 08:29
Nice results. Looks good. I have been considering doing this myself. Boots are still available from Nissan I believe.
Available at Z Car Depot as well: https://zcardepot.com/collections/rear- ... 6582048881
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z

Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu » 22 May 2020 13:16

This thread shows the insides of the half shaft way better than my description.

viewtopic.php?t=22413&start=30#p209597
Stu

72 4-door 510
2005 Mini Cooper S

Stu
Supporter

FS5W71C Transmission Cross Member mount with SR20DE

Post by Stu » 24 May 2020 19:08

My S15 SR20DE came with a FS5W71C transmission. Since this is significantly longer than the transmission that came in the car, surgery on the tunnel was needed. While this is nothing "new" in the 510 world, here is how I did mine.

I am running a JBC front cross member with stock SR20 motor mounts. In order to get the motor as level front-to-back as possible, the back end of the transmission needed to be pretty damn high compared to where most transmission cross members put it since most are "universal" for all sorts of engine/transmission combos in the 510.

I bought a Z Car Depot transmission mount PN 650-289 because it looked sturdy and like it humped up a good distance for the exhaust.

The description says it can be used with a stock Z car mount (already had one), but when I got the cross member, there was no way it was going to work, way tooooo short. I bought an Energy Suspension 3.1108G (I think this is the same one that Z Car Depot sells too).

Even with this taller mount, the tail-shaft was low. I figured I needed about a 1" addition spacer to get the 3" I wanted. I had some 1/2"x2" wide Al bar stock in my 'pile' so made two spacers.

One problem with the Z Car Depot cross member is the bolts they send are not the correct thread pitch for the 510. My car uses M10x1.25, so off to the hardware store (we have a great one right down the street) to get the correct flange bolts. I also needed longer bolts for the mount/spacers.

25mm and 60mm long M10x1.25 bolts:

The transmission came with T-bolts that index against a flat on the case flange. The new bolts are too long to come in from the top (will need to bolt check these to make sure they don't drop out, but no other way to mount). The flange nuts that were used with the T-bolts were too wide so I removed one edge to replicate the T-bolt so they would fit correctly to the flange.

Here it is all mounted and tight. The lower bolt is one of the only standard thread bolts on the car other than the seat belt anchors...

This put the 'spray shield' even with the bottom of the remaining tunnel. Both of the hard lines have already been cut and will need to be re-run...

I measured the angles of the tail-shaft and differential flange, and it looks like I will have 2-3 deg pinion angle.

I'll be pulling the transmission tomorrow to start working on the tunnel cover.
Stu

72 4-door 510
2005 Mini Cooper S

Stu
Supporter

Transmission tunnel cover

Post by Stu » 26 May 2020 22:44

Here is my take on making a transmission tunnel cover for the gaping hole the 71C required.

The shift detent bolts were way too close.

A scissor jack and my air hammer widened the tunnel just in front of the seat mount

Some 18ga sheet bent and welded

Hole for shifter

240SX shifter boot 32862-05U00 for the transmission and rubber boot 74960-91P00 modified to separate the interior from the exterior.

Cut to fit the new tunnel

I'll add a trim ring or something to seal it to the sheet metal. My son just bought a 3D printer so I might have him make me something

This tab on the top of the transmission is too close to the tunnel and I'll grind it off to make more clearance.

Welded in and sealed up inside and outside

Eventually I will build a console for between the seats so the 'hump' won't be as noticeable.
Stu

72 4-door 510
2005 Mini Cooper S

cartel

Post by cartel » 27 May 2020 15:54

nice job on the tunnel-- you went higher than me by about an inch it looks like-- BUT i didnt use the JBC pre made mounts - i bought their unassembled kit and shortened them- and used the bmw motor mounts that are soft--
on my sr the rear of the cylinder head is 1" below the cowl seam on my car (pass side) and the valve cover misses by about 1/4"
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie

Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu » 28 May 2020 21:30

cartel wrote:
27 May 2020 15:54
nice job on the tunnel-- you went higher than me by about an inch it looks like--
Thanks. I thought about modifying the mounts somehow, but a spacer was easier... So far the cross member has been my biggest challenge because I have decided to go with a power rack. Once I get that all 'done' I'll post how much of a hassle it is (not JBC's fault at all, they have been great). All I can say is I better love the power steering.
Stu

72 4-door 510
2005 Mini Cooper S