RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by RONSLYCHUK » 09 May 2020 15:17

Job well done Norm.

cartel

Post by cartel » 10 May 2020 00:01

yea wish i was there to see the runs-- but i was putting off going to the states for weeks and finally had too much stuff waiting and made the trip-- kinda weird crossing the border when no "regular" folk are allowed to..

the coil paks look nice-- and my jenveys thus far have been great- thats one modern looking L series now :D - so hard to go back to carbs once you have had nice efi and proper standalone.
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 10 May 2020 08:01

Thanks guys. Hearing the motor spin up past 7500 over and over is pretty amazing. Bill was surprised how knock resistant it was and how cool it ran after so many runs. He had trouble getting the oil past 180. I'm really happy I brought my hearing protection, turns out my car is very loud.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 25 May 2020 19:19

Well I have spent a few weeks driving the car and have the Airbox mike welded up for me back in the car. I did back to back comparisons of driving with the ITG air filter and the airbox. The intake temp is about 20c lower at slow speeds with the airbox and ~10 at highway speeds. Power feels the same with both of them except at slow speeds. At slow speeds with the ITG on it just feels sluggish. Considering the inlet in the air filter for the airbox is just 2.85" it is pretty darn good. My fuel mileage is almost doubled and it is way easier to drive. The is no worry about flooring it at low RPM. I'm very happy so far. It is making more power with the filter in than it did unfiltered and I am going a lot further on a tank of fuel. The only thing that I miss is the burbbling and popping off throttle while slowing down. I'm pretty sure that can be fixed in the tune. I just need to talk to Bill about it.
20200525_190326.jpg
20200525_190326.jpg (307.35 KiB) Viewed 866 times
20200525_190319.jpg
20200525_190319.jpg (338.99 KiB) Viewed 866 times
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK » 25 May 2020 19:51

Nice job Norm, looks good.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 25 May 2020 20:01

Thanks Ron

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 26 May 2020 06:54

EFI is nice, I have to admit. I can only imaging IR EFI is so much better!

My EFI is ancient and archaic in comparison, but still works great.

Total kit - what’s it all worth in the major components, while it’s still fresh in mind?

Good job Norm, can’t wait to see it in person.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 26 May 2020 08:28

Thank Byron,
The ECU was just over $1000 and the ITBs were just under $1000. All the sensors (one six industries cam/crank, intake air temp, water temp and MAP and injectors) were $800. I'm sure I could have done it cheaper on the sensors. It was really nice having everything be just make the connections and away you go. Once I figured out the timing offset on the crank sensor in the Ecu it started right up.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 12 Sep 2020 16:33

Well i took advantage of missing today's drive by getting the new DP Racing solid rear crossmember mounts in. I've had them for a bit and have been waiting to put them in because I didn't feel like taking the rear crossmember out. While I was starting to take the rear end apart an idea came to mind that I thought may make it a bunch easier.

Turns out it took me a total of 15min per side to get them in with the crossmember in the car. I put the car up on the lift and removed the v band on my exhaust just before the crossmember to avoid stressing the exhaust. Then I loosened the nuts on the bottom of the crossmember mounting points till the nuts were at the ends of the threads. Proceed to take one of the nuts off then remove the nut inside the car that is holding the mounting point in place and slide it out the bottom of the bushing. Place the top half of the solid mount on top and slide the mounting point back in and tighten the nut inside the car. With the floor jack and a 2 x 4 apply a bit of upwards pressure the the rear crossmember. Take a large flat screwdriver and gently pry around the edge of the bushing and it slides right out. Put on the bottom half of the solid mount and put the nut on so it is just on the mounting point then repeat on the other side. I was really surprised how easy it was. The hardest part of the whole process was getting the v band back on the exhaust.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 15 Sep 2020 06:46

Using the car to support the X member is a great idea when working alone. Did you take photos of the process?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 15 Sep 2020 13:57

Unfortunately I took no photos while doing it. I had two little helpers for it so we were having such a good time i forgot to document it. It was so easy I thought I must be missing something.

I took it out for a short drive to test it out and it is a really big difference. Somehow the car is now quieter. It has always handled really good. But in making this simple change it has really changed the way it feels. It is so much more planted diving into a corner. I haven't taken it for a real drive through the twisty bits up here yet but I am sure the crossmember was moving around a bunch. I had flipped the washers on the stock rubber units but the fact that I can squeeze them with my hand shows me how much play there was in them.

icehouse

Post by icehouse » 16 Sep 2020 09:16

I installed the DP solid mounts in my car. After having them in for a few years my only complaint is they loosen over time. Since they don't tighten on anything when things flex around they can come loose. According to the engineers at work the aluminum bushing should be extended to touch on the inside. I do agree though, way better then the flipped system.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam