Supporter

Re: Blue '71 Project

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Nice job. Very clean install.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Great looking battery kill switch! Where did you source that?
Regards,
Owen
72 Datsun 510
2.3 LZ with 280zx 5 speed
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

Thanks guys. I got that switch from Amazon, it's just your basic battery cut-off switch and I made that little metal box to mount it in.
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

Made a little more progress. Installed the starter and made the last battery cable, also installed the distributor, carb and various coolant and fuel hoses. Not a huge fan of the color of the NGK plug wires, but it's what I've got so they'll work for now. I need to bleed the brakes/clutch, fill everything with fluids, then hopefully see if it'll run sometime soon.

Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Looking good Chris.
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

I got the car running last weekend, so that was pretty cool. Adjusted the timing and it seems to be running fairly well, it's a little cold natured, but it cranks right up and idles nicely. I let it run a few times checking the oil pressure, water temp and looking for any leaks or abnormal sounds. Only a small oil leak from the valve cover gasket and I'll probably need to adjust the valves a bit.

I mounted the drivers seat so I could test drive it. I'm using a pair of E30 sport seats. The color is terrible but they need to be recovered anyway so I'll do that later, they are good enough to use for the moment. I used the original 510 seat risers/brackets and just drilled new holes to match the bolt pattern of the E30 seats. They sit slightly higher than I'd like, but they aren't too bad.

Then I pulled it out of the shop for the first time in almost 4 years, washed it off and took it around the block a few times, seems to be doing alright so far. I need to get a full exhaust made for it, right now I'm just using a piece of the old original exhaust.

All lights work except my headlights and turn signals, so I need to dive into that and figure out what's going on there.

Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z