Bad Granny's 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
jason
Supporter

Re: Bad Granny's 510

Post by jason »

Holy cow Merlin, that's one BIG chunk of cash! Should be worth it in the end though. You'll forget the cost soon enough as you come winding your way through the pack this summer!
Jason
dp61

Post by dp61 »

merlin wrote:
dp61 wrote:I'll take the rockers for that price! Hey Merlin still got doors? maybe we can work out a package deal?
yup 250 for the doors and rockers together- Fair?.. will deliver in 2 weeks... sold!

sold, see you in two weeks!
cheers!
d
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

14 hours into block sanding with 100 grit today, some putty touch ups as well. tomorrow the fenders get pieces made , welded up and the bondo work gets done. we will also finish the 100 grit sanding and remask the car for high build prime number two. we will shoot the primer also. bring two lunches josh. oh we need to squeeze in a tranny service on an olds 88 royale too, its going to be a long day. we are working to have the car at the next show at the end of the month for merlin.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

tyson, any new pic s for us to see of the b g 510. :wink:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

sure do. some bondo work and the first high build prime. started the block sanding with 100 grit too. pics are backwards, need to start remembering that. http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... /?start=20
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

... what you're seeing here is the difference between restoration and bodywork...

Tysons crew has opened up every cavity, removed, replaced and/or restored every panel that needs work.. Drip rails, door seams, fender rails, subframes, etc, have all been opened or looked at , cleaned and treated in some way... even the roof support was removed and rust treated. I'm getting a full real paint/coating treatment on this car... not Maaco, but all the proper reducers, hardeners, primers, over $700 in PPG Colour alone... Reality check... After the metal, there will be 3k in materials to paint the car right.... and 100-130 hours at shop rate... on an old, REstored!!! japanese car, add 5 to 9 k in labour for a real properly done paint job that will last. If you were doing a solid rust free 99 mustang, it would be a less labour intensive process than a 510

the tragic part is that on this car, despite outward appearances, all these things were necessary. Tyson saved the lower quarters for my inspection... the outside metal looks smooth and clean enough to take a light sand and get re-treated... the inside looked so rusty and pockmarked... they coulda used them to fake a Mars landing... and the Mars rover woulda got stuck trying to cross my inner quarters!
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

bumpity bump... Tyson is still working on this car paintwise and i'm still reconditioning parts...
I just finished writing articles 2 and 3 for nissansport... decontruction and bodywork...
I will be running my rebuilt 280zx struts up front, with rebuilt stock rears for now, with 14x 5.5 Libres ... anyone got one more? I need o 14 5.5 Libre as one is rashed beyond repair. a bone stock L16 is hanging on the hook with a dogleg 5...I will be doning something better in the fall...

Vote for your engine choice... KA24de-t , sr20det or Specialty engineering LZ22 efi... or suggest one..

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'd definitely do some weird L-series powerplant. Turbo-Tom setup, perhaps?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

okayfine wrote:I'd definitely do some weird L-series powerplant. Turbo-Tom setup, perhaps?

Yah, my original thought on this car is "all retro racer"... Vintage 70's L series turbo sounds like fun.. did they have intercoolers in the 70's?

indy510

Post by indy510 »

Why does it have to be a turbo engine???

Sounds like a good way to sink another $10k in this car.............. unless that's what you REALLY want?

My vote would be a N/A KA........ or a dual carbed L-series
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

indy510 wrote:Why does it have to be a turbo engine???
:mrgreen:

supercharged KA :!:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

rockeroutside.jpg
outside of grannys rocker
rockerinside.jpg
inside of same panel...

the rust that hides! :cry: :cry:

tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

sorry i havent been doing any updates lately merlin. i have tons of pics and the car has had tons of work. this is going to be one juicy bitch. we have all of the sealer sprayed in the cracks of all the panels, behind the rocker and in all the hidden ares that no one can get to. all of the undercoating is complete too. the car has had three full high build primes and three stages of block sanding done. we have it prepped to 400 on the entire out side and have the panels all removed and back masked to paint the back sides. the car should be ready for pic up around the april 30 but worst case it will be the friday following. i have been working on my hose at night so i havent had time to load and post pics, next week. sorry merlin we were trying to have it ready for friday but there was just to much work left.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

merlin wrote:Vote for your engine choice... KA24de-t , sr20det or Specialty engineering LZ22 efi... or suggest one..
I vote L series, only because you have one of my old EFI 2.2L motors :D The manifolds have been built, sensor positions placed - Just use a real EFI system with it, and you are well on your way to fun :lol:
'course I'm a stuck in the mud L series guy, so I need to be taken with a grain of salt.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I'm with the other L guys, the biggest one you can squeeze in and EFI is a huge bonus!
Jason