Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

View and post your 510 project(s)
JordanTr

Re: Jordan's '72 2 door KA project

Post by JordanTr »

I had a week of "vacation" to work on the ole Datsun. Nothing like a shop week to make 8 hour days back at work go by fast!

In the instalment:
Exhaust rev 4+
Camber plates
CV driveline

The plan for the week was to get the car drive-able enough (back to stock NA) that I could get it home (600 miles from pa's shop) to finish off the nagging little things (like ghetto brake lines!). I was very close to making it happen but at least I have a car that is semi-functional again for a while.

I needed an exhaust since I sold the old rusty conglomerate and I now don't have a hole in the crossmember to fit it through anyways! I toyed with the idea of running the NA KA header to a 3" exhaust since that's what I'd need for booost anyways but I opted to go with a proper sized 2.25" system. To keep things simple, I used an S14 manifold since it goes straight to a single pipe vs. the S13 4/2/1 system. Thanks to Jeff and his rack setup for providing the necessary space!

Started at this flange (ID of the cast parts is almost identical to ID of 16ga 2.5" tubing so I used that for the downpipe.

Image510 7.2019 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

Thankfully I have a fantastic water-jet guy in Port Kells who makes quick work of little projects. I had the header flange cut from 3/8" 304SS. Thankfully I noticed the offset center hole when I was dimensioning the flange!

I was able to repurpose some exhaust hangers from the Q45 I wrecked to get the BBS wheels I had for this once upon a time.

The body of the exhaust is 2.25" with a Vibrant 1790 bottle resonator and a Magnaflow 11255 muffler. I was able to tuck a V band under the trans output shaft and one after the rear crossmember. Unsurprisingly, the reworked rear xmember makes for nice exhaust routing.

I went with 2.25" into the muffler and a 2.5" pipe cut turn down tip. I'm hoping its functionality makes up for its looks.

Camber Plates
I first designed a set in 2012 and have periodically refined them to make them easier to build, less custom parts etc. and I finally settled on a somewhat goofy design that combines camber and caster changes by have the adjustment at an angle. There are 3 positions that the slotted plate can be installed: primarily camber, primarily caster, or a happy medium. The way my car is set up, the happy medium zone is able to push the strut tops rearward 1" without changing the camber. The ground control lower plate is re-used so only some minor machining is required on the new plates. The best part? CAPTIVE METRIC FASTENERS!

I opted to space the camber plates down to prevent and strut tower hacking.

Was able to get the proper countersink bit which was very satisfying to use.

Spacers are a bit of a goofy shape

If anyone has GC camber plates and wants some more caster... hit me up. I could make a few sets of these.

CV Driveline
Well, I've talked about it for a while but I made it happen now. I worked with Pat's to shrink a disk onto the S13 yoke and then machine for a pilot on a scavenged flange from a BNR32 companion flange. After that, I took it from the shop and TIG welded the disc to the flange part at home since they didn't have capabilities for that. I love welding big mild steel parts. It's very satisfying. I used pre and post heat and welded in 2 passes. The shop was able to get it together and then balance the whole shebang so it must not have warped too badly. Before welding I had tapped both the intermediate disc and the BNR32 flange chunk to M12x1.25 and secured to the 3 bolt pattern on the yoke with some class 12.9 SHCS.

Scavenged BNR32 chunk.

Dummy assembly so I could mock up a driveshaft and get the proper length.

Old and dummy shafts.

As received before welding

Tacked

Root pass (note that it's now bolted too!)

All done and match marked.

I welded up a nice 2.75" intake with leftovers from pa, plumbed in the new rad, cannibalized some new S13 rad hoses and coupled them with little stainless pie cut pieces. etc etc.

So after all that, I take it for a couple driveway rips and it's good to go. I swapped the plates over and did my classic 4 mile loop. When I came home, I noticed a ruthless drip from the pinion seal on the diff (this is the 3.9 I built last year with a 1.5 way). After pulling the drain plug and finding it full of fresh, sharp filings, I pulled the plug on the Datsun for this trip since I had to leave in ~10 hours.

I had great fun driving the Crowsnest in the Silvia. I left at Keith timing (on the road at 5) so there were great roads all the way to Osoyoos. I love how well sorted that car is. Met up with Matt who just got out of the 510 game and forced him to take Silvia for a rip... He definitely got his turbo fix for the day!

Silvia safe at new home.

Next on the 510 list:
Working diff
Re-work trans tunnel doghouse
Re-work brake lines
etc.
Hopefully soon I can get it going with the S13 SR ECU and individual coilpacks/Nistune etc. Once that works, then I can get back on the turbo bandwagon! Too many house projects these days!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
gooned

Post by gooned »

Big update!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

How did the steering feel on the 5 mile drive?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
JordanTr

Re: Rack Impressions

Post by JordanTr »

icehouse wrote: 14 Jul 2019 03:46 How did the steering feel on the 5 mile drive?
Right... the steering rack!

It's certainly way tighter than it used to be and no more effort than I remember despite the new caster. Unfortunately, I have not had the car plated since Sep. 2017 so it's hard to remember exactly what it felt like. I didn't really push the car since I was getting used to the nuances of an old rattlebox all over again. I also lost the front sway bar in the process of repositioning the engine so that's a bit of a sad news story in the handling department right now. Sufficed to say, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison right now but the initial impression is great! The 2.5 turns L-L means that there is a definite reaction in the car when you turn the wheel compared to the old steering box.

The good news is that I'll be back at the shop in a couple weeks to throw another diff in the car. Let's hope it behaves after that! The driving ambiance will improve dramatically once the trans tunnel cover is all rebuilt as well.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Today marks an exciting day... After years of planning to modify and do Nistune etc. on the engine, I have the engine running on an S13 SR20DET ECU with Nistune and Audi R8 coilpacks. So far, all that it has is a stock SR tune with resized injectors from 370 to 270cc.

I modified the harness to remove the old coil and provide outputs for the coilpacks. The power architecture is the same between the SR and KA ecus so nothing changes there.
The reference marks between the SR and KA CAS optical discs are different so the SR disc must be used in the KA distributor.
Image510 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

The clocking on the CAS shaft is different as well so timing it is a bit of a challenge. I mocked up the relationship between the flat key of the CAS wheel and the optical pickup of the SR CAS when it was located at the timing marks (TDC power stroke).

SR timing marks

SR CAS with KA wheel. Note the flat key to pickup angle

KA dizzy with SR optical disc. Note the angle is very similar. First attempt!

After the one tooth adjustment. It actually runs here!

I oriented the KA to the same spot by rotating it by hand and peeking through the oil cap the see the #1 exhaust cam lobe pointed away from the motor. Then I inserted the franken-CAS and tried my best to mimic the clocking as shown on the SR CAS at the timing marks. This ended up being 1 tooth off but it was close enough to get it going.

The S13 SR uses a "skinny" titania heated O2 sensor (M12x1.25 threads) whereas the KA uses a fatty (M18x1.5 thread) single wire/non-heated O2 sensor. I had to adapt the threads to accept the new O2 sensor. Thankfully I had purchased new spare O2 sensors while working on Golddust so those met the bill perfectly.

First run video here. Timing still needs to get set properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irTFqbdXCdg

Rich but running! Much wiring clean-up to do still.

I spent some time distracted this week since I picked up an '88 Z31T for the LSD rear end. The car is all dismantled and ready to live on in other cars!
I've basically searched for ~8 years to find one of these!!!

The plan now is to get the car running well with new injectors and new MAF (R35 in 3" tube).
I now have in hand brand new AC Delco 6.2L E85 Escalade injectors that are ~550cc/min. They're Bosch EV14s with a normal cone spray pattern. They are compact size so that when installed with the Radium fuel rail, they should be pretty unobtrusive. The best part is that they're new tech only $38 USD per.

More updates soon!
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Nice Work! Would love to see the car in person somtime as I live in Langley also.
If all else fails... try again
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

2020 is here and my 510 has now provided me with nearly 10 1/2 years of wrenching delight!

Over Christmas I was able to put a little more time into the car. This instalment features:
-Radium fuel rail and L9H injector install (ACD #12609749) 54#/hr @ 4bar
-R35 MAF sensor install
-Reworked wastegate actuator

I realize I missed a few pictures from the R8 coilpack installation. I ended up removing the upper rubber boots and trimming some of the plastic to allow the coilpacks to properly seat on the spark plug nubs.
Image510 Jan 2020 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

With the ring of plastic removed they're just long enough to engage the spark plugs properly.

I welded my SS R35 MAF adapter into some 3" SS tubing so that I could insert it in place of the stock air box/MAF. I'll have to get another MAF adapter to weld into the turbo suction piping when it comes time to add the boost.

I added the honeycomb to try to normalize the airflow and get more reliable readings.

Beacause of the turbo reclocking, I needed to re-do the wastegate mounting so that it could be bolted on. A little bit of cutting and welding later, I ended up with the scenario below. It took a little bit of fiddling to get a little but not too much preload on the wastegate.

The Radium fuel rail is shown below with the GM L9H injectors installed. The kit is nice since it comes with bolts and phenolic spacers (brown) to suit both EV14 standard injectors and EV14 short injectors (which these are). You have to select fittings to fill the 3 -8ORB ports and an 1/8 NPT port on the top of the rail. An adapter for the stock FPR is available so I sprung for that.

After installing, I found that the line routing looked trashy and sloppy (don't comment on the wiring yet!!) so I got an ORB elbow to allow the fuel feed to come from below at the center to tuck that line a bit. I was able to source one locally in Langley which is always a treat. I replaced the O ring with a viton one and was off to the races.

I also sourced some OEM equivalent 5/16 fuel lines to replace the cheap 50psi line I had from the local FLAPS. It's Continental SAE J30R9 fuel hose that's rated for 225psi. It has a viton blend that's happier with ethanol in the fuel as well. It's smooth, flexible, and slightly smaller OD than the cheap lines so the OEM fuel line clamps work well. Worth every penny IMO. Once boost hits, the line pressure will actually exceed 50psi as well.

After systematically changing the injectors out and then the R35 MAF, I was able to get the car running quite well in closed loop mode with minimal fuel trims. I still need to do some work tuning but it's an encouraging start anyways.

I picked up a little belt sander off Craigslist and replaced all the bearings and the drive sheave/belt to speed it up so it's better for metal work. It runs like a dream now so I can slowly accumulate items to do fab stuff in my own shop.

I helped a buddy shorten his struts as well and we went assembly line style and shortened my spare set to suit AW11 rear inserts as well.

More tuning next time. Hopefully while actually driving the thing!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Not sure it will apply since you have boost. We tried an air straightener on the MAF in our enduro car. Made the car way slower. Like noticeable low end power loss. Maybe do a couple pulls with it out to make sure it doesn’t effect your power.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I was able to spend some time on the car while I was in the city again before things started to get covid crazy.
I've been collecting parts for quite a while so that I can run hard lines like the OEM ones for water and oil to to the turbo.

For water feed:
1/4" BSPT male to M14x1.5 female
M14 banjo bolt/washers
M14 banjo to 3/8" SS tube
3/8" SS tube to M18 banjo

The nice round bend would for sure hit the steering shaft so I opted for a snugger option.

For water return:
M18 banjo to 3/8" tube
3/8" SS tube
3/8" hose teed into existing water circuit (TBD)

[no pics]

For oil feed:
1/8" MNPT elbow to 1/4" swagelok
1/4" x 0.035 SS tubing
M12 Banjo to 1/4" tube

I ended up getting the weld/silver solder banjos from the UK since I could not source any here.

Oil drain:
I coaxed the OEM RB25 oil drain into a different shape with a pin bar and some heat. The lower part is a mandrel bent SS elbow. I had to weld it right into the oil pan due to how low the engine sits and the tight proximity of the engine mount, steering shaft, rack mounts.

While I had the oil pan off the spare block to weld in the oil drain, I figured it would be a good opportunity to machine the adapter necessary for my oil pressure sender and weld it in as well. I had bought the required M22x1.5 tap long ago for this task and recently got fresh carbides for the lathe tooling which makes the job much more of a joy.

I was able to get a day permit for the car so I could try and get myself a little more familiar with Nistune. I feel like I have the car in a pretty good spot right now. It could probably use some time consuming tweaks on the start tables but a lay person would not be able to tell that it isn't tuned so that's good. It doesn't burp and fart like carbureted stuff!
Unfortunately, my tuning was cut short by a rain storm. I was trying to mess with the K const so I could get the load scaling correct so that the calculated load would reach the final columns of the fuel and timing tables. Without reaching the final columns, there is less resolution than OEM. Once the boost hits, the calculated load goes much higher because of increased flow in the MAF so then the K const will be reduced to avoid getting pinned on the final column of the tables. Obviously there are still some mechanical installation things to get through before that...

While I was down on the coast, I found a used fat bike for shoulder season here in Kimberley. It has 26x4.8" tires so it should be great for snowy or mushy trails once I get it up here!

Between the bike and another car.... It wasn't the most productive weekend on the ole Datsun.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sweet build keep up the good work.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
andrewm

Post by andrewm »

keep grinding buddy!
1970 510 wagon ka24e-t
JordanTr

2021 - The year of BOOOOST??

Post by JordanTr »

Some progress to report! :)

My dad got an old but usable drill press that needed some love so I tackled that first. Cleaned up the rust, powdercoated the rusty base in Silver Vein and ordered a replacement belt. I'll have to cobble together some kind of belt guard in my own shop.
It runs pretty true with about 2 thou TIR!

I carried on making my hardlines for oiling and cooling the turbski. 3/8" water return goes behind the head and returns hot turbo water to the return heater line through the OEM return port from the throttle body "cooling" line.

Water feed from the water drain on the hot side of the block with a loop to deal with thermal strain.

I am very happy with how it all welded out onto the banjo fittings. It's 3/8" x 0.035 316L seamless tubing.

The trio of lines. The oil feed has a Swagelok compression fitting on the oil filter block and the water return transitions to hose under the intake manifold.

Long ago I had done some weld buildup around the through holes of the air outlet from the turbo so I could cut off ~ 1/2" to gain some fender clearance. Today I flattened the hack sawed mess on the belt sander.

With the aforementioned success, I opted to do the final flattening of the turbo inlet flange. Again, long ago (2 year already!!) I chopped off the T2 flange and replaced with a T3 to suit the RB25 frankenNEO turbo. During welding the flange pulled and warped a terrible amount. See: http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... er#p270102

I blued the flange to show the very satisfying progress

I didn't quite go to 100% cleanup since the gasket doesn't seal on the outer fringes anyways.

After a couple years of being boxed up, I revisited the downpipe with the metal gluing machine.
For now I will build the 3" downpipe and transition back to 2 1/4" at the v band near the tail of the transmission. This will save me from having to re-do the whole exhaust at this point anyways.

I've wanted to rebuild one of my KA transmissions since both have whiny input bearings and notchy shifts. Currently they're both in my car and dad's truck so I ended up buying another one to rebuild when I'm at home since we have lots of pullers at work that I can borrow etc. This way when I get the rebuilt trans back down here, I can drop the engine/trans to install the white bunny++ (Gold bunny?) clutch kit, rebuilt trans, turbo etc when the engine is on the floor.

I found some interesting things while shopping around for rebuild parts:
Some bearings are industry standard while some are goofy dimensions so you need to get the OE ones or jobber ones.
The jobber kits downgrade one of the goofy dimension countershaft bearings from a high capacity full complement (no cage) roller bearing to a plain deep groove ball bearing with about 40% the load capacity/life. I'm going to buy the OE bearing for this location.
The kit I bought is USA STANDARD GEAR ZMBK133BWS and has low grade Japanese bearings and the output shaft bearing is not sealed like the OE one. I purchased an NTN 6205 LLU (2 contact seals) for this.
I am buying SKF/NTN bearings for the main shaft bearings in the trans as well for peace of mind. The jobber bearings also increase the bearing clearance (C3) so that's not going to help the overall life either if it is not warranted.

More to come! Boost 2021 perhaps?
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

Your welding and fab work is awesome. Thanks for all the great pictures and detail.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Stu wrote: 21 Jan 2021 11:17 Your welding and fab work is awesome. Thanks for all the great pictures and detail.
Thanks Stu!! Just trying to keep up with your updates!!
JordanTr

Downpipe continued

Post by JordanTr »

I'm feeling like there's some light at the end of the tunnel!!
I put some time into finishing up the downpipe. It's cobbled into the existing 2.25" exhaust for now but one day it will get 3" to the back.

DIY 3" to 2.25 "eccentric" reducer

Decked the turbo flange flat. Care and painstakingly slow welding meant it wasn't warped too badly to start with.

Fitup of the final piece joining the new DP to the "old" exhaust (which only has maybe 200kms on it :? :? )

Downpipe complete utilizing the OE rubber mount off of the trans mount

Welding seems to still be improving :)

I spent some time building a turbo jig so I can dismantle my turbo to ceramic coat the hot side and reassemble in the correct orientation. I also found a better way to press the CHRA from the turbine housing using lug studs and deep lug nuts. Fine threads for that fine wedge action!
I checked the shaft endplay on all 3 of my RB25 turbos and found 1 Neo turbo halfway through spec @ 5 thou (using this one) 1 Neo turbo at ~9 thou (just over spec) and the early RB25 turbo with bad bearings at only 4 thou...

Now I have the early (21U) RB25 hot side off and ready for ceramic coating. Once completed, it'll get mated to the RB25 NEO CHRA and compressor housing.

I might make up some plans to bend up another sway bar too. I looked at doing a giant blade style bar with long arms but I don't love the fit and finish of it. I also already have the hardware, end links, and material for another 1144 stressproof sway bar.

Here's where it'll sit for a while awaiting the rebuilt transmission etc.

Image510 1.22.2021 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

I brought the trans and all the intercooler piping with me so I can work on that before my next trip back to the coast. I'll also give the heater box the Stu/Icehouse/Spreadbury treatment with dual outlets on the passenger side while I am away.
After I get a few more nagging parts T3 flange studs, gaskets, trans bearings etc. I'll be ready to get things installed once and for all.

Next update will include the parts on order for the next round of work!