Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Byron510 » 27 Sep 2018 06:59

I did the container storage thing for 4 years while building my shop. It sure felt good to unload that 40’ container last year!

Sounds like you have stickler on your design. Time for a meeting, ask what they want and then bend “their idea” to your goals if possible. If possible, using “their ideas” may be a way of achieving your goals.

Thankfully the city I’m in did play ball with me. When they made a “suggestion”, I just did it. And you know one of those “suggestions” may have just saved me a floor two weeks ago when we had an incredible cloud burst of epic proportions. It was to do with the storm pipe size, and the suggestion was to step up to 6” from the standard 4” pipe to the storm connection on the street. Yes it did cost me a couple grand more, but 8 of my neighbours flooded in this storm, and we had nothing.
Another example was framing. 20” centres is pretty standard, but it was suggested that I do 16”. No problem, studs are not that expensive. So the engineer and I went one step further and placed the trusses on 16” Venter’s as well. The city wanted a specific steel brace from the foundation to either side of the 16’ wide bay door, we put in a larger than required brace. We placed extra 2x6 studs on either side of the beam over the door, and instead of stacking 2x12’s, my engineer suggested a laminate beam. The floor was poured much thicker tha minimum, all solid wood was used in all parts of construction and many more quality features added. When it came to the final, I got the supposedly hard ass inspector that no one ever wants on their job site. His comment was that he was designating my shop as an official evacuation site for the city. So I guess he was impressed.

Thoughts on my process anyways. Sometime you have to run a bit with their game, but make sure you get what you need as well in the end.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 » 01 Oct 2018 08:59

I agree with you, Byron. The only problem I have with that plan is that I'm not dealing with people who have any real building experience or knowledge, as these are retired members of the neighborhood. I had reviewed the HOA limitations, and designed within them, but there's the portion of the HOA that allows the Architectural Review Committee (The 3 retiree's) that gives them approval authority. Their reasoning was weak- Fear that the shop was planned to be larger than the minimum sq footage required for a home, and that I would somehow then sub-divide the lot (NOT allowed), the idea that a large shop would somehow have a negative impact on the neighboring properties resale values (even though it would be trimmed out and painted to match the house), and that I was not willing to provide (i.e. pay $6K) to provide them the permitted plans until they had approved the design. Didn't see how that would work- Spend the $, have them deny it, then take another spin on the merry-go-round again. I gave them a sketch from the building supplier so they can see what it will look like, but that was too hard to grasp.

Funny part- ALL the neighbors are more upset that I was denied than I am. They all are fine with what I am wanting to do, have been asking when I'm getting started, and can't understand what the ARC is 'protecting' them from. Several are car guys (One guy has a very clean 240Z), and look forward to hanging out there, especially once the lift goes in!

As I look forward, with their ages, and the idea that I'll be there for a long time, I may have to volunteer my time and experience to become a member of this ARC, just to be the voice of reason among the Board, who seem to default to NO when anything is proposed (tree removal to protect views, enforcing the most basic of requirements, etc...)

Will let you know how it goes.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 01 Oct 2018 10:33

Hmmm, that is frustrating. Can you meet with this group in any way? Get a confirmation from them that what your plans are would be ok, give them a chance to ask you questions, ect?
I'd like to think this is still a democracy where all parties have a say....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.