Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Camano510
Supporter

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Postby Camano510 » 01 Oct 2016 22:42

Greetings from Singapore! YouTube Singapore 777 fire and that's what we are here repairing. No wing tank damage, just secondary structure, and flight control surfaces. Airplanes are tough as hell. The fire makes you think it's way worse than it actually is. Pretty 'straightforward' repair for us. Back Mid October. Crew has been here since Early September. I got here later- Had to take the Wife on a Hawaiian cruise for her 50th.

Just finalized the floor plans for the house and shop. THAT took longer than it should have, but we'll just leave that alone. Shop will have approx 1600 sq ft main floor, and 1200 sq ft of loft/storage above it. Hoping to have a shovel in the dirt before January, but we shall see how long all these processes take- Bank, Contractor, permits, etc....

The 510 and the Z are waiting patiently in the container......

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. Carry on.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 02 Oct 2016 06:11

So...how does a relatively new plane like the 777 get to the point where an engine goes up like that? News is quick on the dramatic "OMG fire on a plane!" but is pretty poor about following up. I'm always interested in the why.

Shop sounds amazing. My house, not including garage, is 1046sq, so, yeah :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Camano510
Supporter

Postby Camano510 » 02 Oct 2016 22:07

Plane is about 10 years old. Engine issue, unrelated to the actual airplane. Remember- airlines don't own the engines. They are leased from GE and Rolls-Royce. I have yet to get a real answer as to what caused the fire, but know that the plane itself worked flawlessly, continuing to fly on one engine, dump fuel, and return. Just like a car, there can be several reasons for a fire- leaking fuel connections, oil leak from a failed part of that system, etc. Just remember- I get on them all the time, and, odds being what they are, I never think about 'what might happen'. Safer than a drive on a sunny day, my friends.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 03 Oct 2016 06:14

Oh no, I'm not thinking about what might happen. Flying is safe, and if anything this 777 proves it. More just because flying is so safe and you (well, me, you see crazy stuff as a matter of your job) never really see a plane lose an engine like that. Has to be an underlying cause. I like lessons learned.

Bit surprised the response crews were so far out, though.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Camano510
Supporter

Postby Camano510 » 06 Oct 2016 04:11

I was told the fire was caused by a failed fuel-oil heat exchanger. Allowed fuel into the oil system, and it ignited.
Darryl Cavanaugh

Return to “Project Builds”