Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Camano510
Supporter

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Camano510 »

I'm heading towards the same path you're on. Property/sell current/build house and shop, etc.... I wish I could say your schedule wasn't going to work for me, but we both know that would be a BIG FAT LIE!

Of course, your concerns are all things that were bouncing around in my head as I was picturing its function. Same reason I figured it was time better spent staying simple, and as close to 'normal' as possible. The space gain improvement is still huge.

Take care.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

New itinerary. Current return date is 4/27, and I'll be surprised if I go home then. It's looking more like early June. When you run an airline by having a couple models of each plane in your fleet acting as a parts store, its tough to keep planes flying. Add to that us being here, pulling another one out of the fleet for a week for sefvice bulletins, and that causes more pain, for us and them.

I can only imagine what my shop will look like by the time I get back....
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

As usual, plans change.... I came to Delhi last Sunday for another 'issue' on an Air India 787. Thankfully, that went as smooth as a repair can go, and I get to go home tomorrow. A full 90 days away from home. Best part is I didn't have to break down the Mumbai site. After a few months in that environment, and their welcoming attitude towards wildlife IN the hangar (pigeons, crows, and huge Red-tailed Kite's), I would be suited up like a hazardous waste tech to clean all the bird droppings, dirt and whatever else is coveing the equipment. Thankful for that little bonus, but I do feel bad for my teammates that will be doing it.

I was able to get the land aquisition going, so that is a big plus in my world.

I'll try to get some pics of the 510 in its current state, not that there's much to brag about.
Darryl Cavanaugh
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Title of your thread having "lift" and "air" and talking about plane repair...I forgot you had a 510! :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I sometime wish I could forget. So many things on the to-do list....

Just arrived back in Mumbai. Yay. I have a scheduled vacation at the end of June, and my India VISA expires on 6/28. I did bust my ass for the time I was home and knocked out a few things on the list, but it seems like as I complete 1, 2 more get added.

Ok. Done whining.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Been a while..... Been a few changes around the house. It is on the market, I have purchased the future lot, I have unloaded all the old school Mazda stuff, less the Rx4, which I have a buyer for. I'm down to the 510 and 240Z, the Mustang, and the 'driver's'. I have a couple more cars to sell, as well as a motorcycle. As hard as it is to leave the shop, the new place is the direction the family needs to go. Time to live where the neighbors choose to have their properties look acceptable. Sadly, this is not the case where I am now, and I feel this will be the biggest hurdle in selling my home.

The new house and shop will have everything this one has, plus a water and mountain view, paved streets, and 'classier' neighbors. My friend joked that I would be the dirtbag in this neighborhood. Probably a little truth to that, but if I'm the dirtbag in your neighborhood, you're doing good.

Cheers for now.
Darryl Cavanaugh
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hey Darryl, well...at least that means you've been home for a while? So, silver lining and all that. Was thinking about you and your job when the news was talking about the Russian airliner with the tail-strike repair.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Actually put myself on 'No-Travel' status from mid August to September 30th, to get the house prepped for sale. Of course, it now looks as good as it ever has, and I am not chasing the tasks a little bit at a time. As far as being home since then, not so much. Another 2 1/2 week Mumbai sentance. Hearing rumblings of more trips soon- hopefully not back to Mumbai. Being there for 6 of the last 12 months is (more than) enough.

I figured you'd wonder about the job when the British Airways 777 caught fire in Vegas- still hashing out the details on that one. May fix it, may not. Multiple factors playing into that decision. Big job.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Greeting Realm! Happy New year!

House is still on the market, and as predicted, The Hillbillies next door are hampering the sale. Someday I'll tell the story. You can't make this stuff up. Most wouldn't believe it.

Sold the last Mazda, and actually made a decent profit, for nothing more than collecting and storing it. For the first time since I was 16, I am Rotary Mazda-free.

On a sad note, my commuter 95 Honda Civic EX coupe was STOLEN from the Boeing parking lot on Dec 30th. I had just completed its refurb, and it was really nice. I had planned on driving it for another 200K. Security (HA!) said there has been a LOT of theft in the last few months, and my era Honda was a PRIME target. Must be true, as the same day mine was taken, one in the lot next to where I was, was stripped. Apparently, they are 'easy' to steal. Mine was very clean, not a 'kids' Honda, stock appearing, with later model Si wheels. I admit I would look at it as I walked up to it, and would tell myself "That car is a target-its too nice"... Guess I was right. Insurance is going to pay me for it, how much I can't guess yet, but the agent wants all my receipts (Rebuilt engine, trans, parts, tires-2 weeks ago!) and has given me the impression I will be compensated. Time will tell.

The Datsun's are on the back burners. I am going through the the BMW (Brakes/shocks/suspension/steering/etc) and have the engine out of my recent aquisition 2004 Honda Civic EX sedan, which I picked up for $500 (SCREAMING deal-its super clean- just has 254K miles on it and a leaking head gasket). Its going to receive the same treatment as the 95. At least the 2004 model is harder to steal, with its better security and key system. Add to that its a 4 door, so I would like to think its not as 'desirable' to the punk theives.

To add to all of this, I leave Sunday for Las Vegas to repair the 777 that caught fire on take off a few months back. Big job, sporty schedule. Back in late Feb.

I'm still lurking in the background, gathering 510 knowledge from the Master's. Someday, I may actually get to apply some of it!

Cheers to 2016. All the best to you and yours.
Darryl Cavanaugh
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey, same to you.

Having been a fan of Jean Sheperd's writing, in the short story collection: Wanda Hickeys Night of Golden Memories, he has hillbillies next door, the Bumpus's, and has major runs ins with their hounds..hysterical. So, my minds eye has filled in a lot of blanks, but, you must tell us one day!

For those of you NOT familiar with his writings, the now popular movie: A Christmas Story, is by Sheperd, and of course we see the hounds off and on through the movie, with the turkey finally falling victim to them.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
spriso

Post by spriso »

I'm amazed that they are going to fix that 777. I figured that one would have been a write off for sure! It sure looked like that fire was into that spar.

Kudos to the work you do-- from a guy who spends waaaaaaaay too much of his life on commercial aircraft!

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Camano510 wrote:sporty schedule
Great term. I'm going to pick that up and drop it on the usual suspects at work.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I considered labeling them 'Bumpases', but figured Hillbillies would be easier understood by the majority. Same meaning, for sure. The last few years have been a mixture of sad, funny, ridiculous, unbelievable, firearm discharges, and an example of one family's excessive use of the local law enforcement's resources. What I will offer at his point is that through all of the 'opportunities', never ONCE did I call 911, although there was 1 time that I had to have that internal debate, concluding with the feeling that my streak was worth preserving.

777 repair is happening because (as EVERYTHING does) of money. Its like having too many totaled cars in your driving history. They are spending the money to fix it to avoid the insurance premium hike. Front spar is fine, because the leading edge assembly protected it. She'll be good when we're done, as always.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

48 days in Vegas is about 45 too many. Not my kind of place.... Only made it to The Strip a couple times. My wife came down for a few days over Valentine's weekend, and got to goof off with a few of the other wives- She had a blast, and got to see the real glamour of AOG. 12.5/day, everyday....

Repair was a battle from start to finish, discovered a couple other issues during the work that had to be addressed. Airplane was delivered in 1998, and the current parts needed massaging to fit. I rebuilt the engine strut (Never done before by us), working through access holes, with mirrors to see what I was doing, etc... It's funny that while I'm home, I'm antsy to get out again, and after a few weeks, all I want to do is get home.

And speaking of home, we sold at the end of Feb, and will be out by March 30th. House passed inspection with NO findings, which I was amazed at- They ALWAYS find something. I guess my focused attack last summer did the trick. Rental house all set up, storage unit rented, and a 40ft container is at my buddies place to store the shop and projects. Delivered the 510 and the Z yesterday, and will take the big tools there later. Been missing a lot of work, but my management team is super cool about it, since I have never refused a call, and they know I'll knock this out, and be ready to roll ASAP.

Police found my stolen Civic in early Feb. Stole the wheels off it, and dumped it. But, not after beating on it pretty good. Big dent in the oil pan, which I believe is affecting the oil pick-up. Car runs, but I'm thinking they ran it until it shut off, then bailed. If I had more time (and space for the next couple months), I would have fixed it. Instead, I sold it to a friend nearby, who already has the parts needed to put it back on the road. He will use it just as I had- Back and forth to the Boeing factory. Glad it will live on. I am about 1/2 the way through the rebuild of the 2004 Civic, which will be my commuter.

Ok- you're all caught up. Cheers!

I swear, someday I'll be talking about the car itself!
Darryl Cavanaugh
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We still need to hear about the "Bumpus'es"
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer