Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Camano510
Supporter

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Camano510 »

Made it home on 6/6. Then it was time to work for real... Catching up on the home front!

Many projects are pulling rank on the 510, sadly. I did however meet up with a realm memeber, clean510 today for some rear doors. The intent was to use them for their exterior skins, but these are in such good shape that I don't want to cut them up. Anyone near Seattle looking for some should contact me. Otherwise, I will sacrifice them. They are complete, less interior panels, and everything is in great shape, except for one small rust spot (2x2) on the passenger door fwd lower corner. They are original, butterscotch color. They'll need seals, but otherwise, are great.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Just was called to go to Melbourne, Australia for a couple weeks in July. Already found a car show/meet that should be very close to where I'll be working/staying, so if the schedule allows, I'm all over it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What's the job in Melbourne?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

787 service bulletins/reliability mods. Nothing sexy this time, other than AUSTRALIA!
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Cool city, super cool people! It looks like I may not have the day off for the car show- I'll most likely get the day before off, between airplanes. This town does get after it on the weekends though, so I'll go to the Garage Cafe right after work either way, just to be sure. Have yet to see a true Old Schooler, but there are some pretty nice older Porsche's running around nearby.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Camano510 wrote:Cool city, super cool people! It looks like I may not have the day off for the car show- I'll most likely get the day before off, between airplanes. This town does get after it on the weekends though, so I'll go to the Garage Cafe right after work either way, just to be sure. Have yet to see a true Old Schooler, but there are some pretty nice older Porsche's running around nearby.
Enough of the cars. Grab your camera and head to the beachs we want Aussi Babe pics,,,,Ok and 510's also :D
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Well, it's winter here. No bikini's to show..... No shortage of VERY attractive ladies, though..... Won't get the car show day off.... Bummer.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

I raced to the rotary club meet, got there by 9:15, but they had left. Chatted with a few of the VW guys who were hanging out. Great collection of guys. No matter where you are on the planet, cars seem to be a common ground. Had a great time there. I will continue to pursue this kind of meeting wherever I go, and will alway seek out old school Datsun's and Mazda's. Just because I can.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

In New Jersey.... Air India 777 got damaged by a catering truck. Pretty standard stuff for us. Another plane 'ferry-flight'-ed to Michigan from a Middle Eastern location after a bad landing. Details are sketchy, but the plane is pretty badly damaged. Really good chance that I could end up there to do that repair, too. That'll push my return home into October.......

I swear that some day I'll be able to give the 510 (and the other car projects) the time they need!
Darryl Cavanaugh
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Camano510 wrote:I swear that some day I'll be able to give the 510 (and the other car projects) the time they need!
From reading Dilbert, the way to not get continually assigned jobs because you do good work is to do poor work. Don't suppose that's really an option given you fix aircraft, so you might be stuck :(
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=166754

I take it this is the one?!

I find your job fascinating.

A bad enough landing must be a pretty hard hit...what all gets damaged on something like this?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What doesn't the WWW know?
BpS_mH2CUAIK6B7.jpg
BpS_mH2CUAIK6B7.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
That'll buff right out.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Nice find. That's the one.

If you search 'Airliners.net', you find several poster's who claim things like the plane is being parted out and the like. Sadly, the truth of the situations are never as exciting as people hope they are. Stuff gets damaged, and if it makes sense financially, they get fixed.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It is the Dilbert curse. Not being good at this isn't an option.
Darryl Cavanaugh
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

So I guess the question I have is...based on your previous postings, you strongly suggest flying only carriers under the thumb of the FAA - so why do these other airlines (India, Ethiopia, Indonesia) spend the big money to have you come out to fix their junk when the local regulations aren't as rigorous?
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

okayfine wrote:So I guess the question I have is...based on your previous postings, you strongly suggest flying only carriers under the thumb of the FAA - so why do these other airlines (India, Ethiopia, Indonesia) spend the big money to have you come out to fix their junk when the local regulations aren't as rigorous?
Too big an investment to risk them falling out of the sky??
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal