Junk Yard Restoration

View and post your 510 project(s)
tr6racer21
Supporter

Re: Junk Yard Restoration

Post by tr6racer21 »

Since there was some appreciation for the TR4A, I thought I'd put out some pictures of the shop even though it's a mess right now. Getting ready for the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point on friday so progress on the Junk Yard Dog will have to wait until next week
Engine bay on the Yellow IT/ Vintage car
Engine bay on the Yellow IT/ Vintage car
The Yellow Zinger
The Yellow Zinger
Good Company
Good Company
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

4dr time warp 510 031.jpg
Some old British Iron
Some old British Iron
Blue IT/ Vintage Car getting ready for the Killer 1600 full prep motor
Blue IT/ Vintage Car getting ready for the Killer 1600 full prep motor
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

4dr time warp 510 034.jpg
4dr time warp 510 035.jpg
4dr time warp 510 037.jpg
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

4dr time warp 510 038.jpg
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Wow. Nice shop. I need to get down there for a visit and see all those dimes up close.

Good Luck at the turkey bowl.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Yeah David. Come on down and we will get everyone together :) Jamie can bring the green SR 4 door as well. Chip's shop is awesome. It's as big as his house lol.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Well, its time again to provide some updates. The Tokiko Illuminas for the front end came yesterday. I was able to sneak out to the garage this afternoon and prep the strut housings and install the Tokikos. Removed the left side strut assembly in anticipation of installing the shortened struts.

The 510 is a little quieter now...My friend the fabricator( James Bowler ) performed his magic on the front down pipe. He was able to completely cut off the old flange and make up a new one

I also replaced the transmission output seal and gave her a new speedo cable. However, that didn't fix the speedo. I took the whole assembly out, took it apart and had to replace the speedo head with anther used unit that I had on the shelf. The threaded boss on the back of the speedo had come loose and removed itself from the speedo housing. While I was in there I checked all the dash light bulbs and made sure all was good. Replaced the signal bulbs and did a little patching on some of the dash plastic that had been butchered. Since the temp gauge had been erratic from the start I replaced the sender. Now the temp gauge works but reads to high...I will get to that at a later date.

Since I won't be using it anytime soon I removed the A/C belt and idler and installed a new alternator belt. I also repaired the broken off bolt in the alternator adjustment bracket. I had a few extra grommets for the Triumph stuff and a couple of them actually fit into the holes in the firewall for the speedo cable and the throttle cable to help with the noise into the cabin.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

I also decided that the cut stock springs were not what I needed in the rear as in order to get a high enough rate too much spring was cut which would require spacers. I ordered a pair of the D-50 springs recomended in DQ. For the time being I have only cut 1/2 coil from the springs and installed them with the original bump stops, making sure to locate the end of the spring in the a-arm recess. I will be able to better asses the ride height when I have the shortened front struts installed as the car will sit a bit more level.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

I am hoping to gat her back on the road this week.
Attachments
The old down pipe flange
The old down pipe flange
D50 spring installed
D50 spring installed
Comparison of stock spring, cut stock spring and 1/2 coil cut from D50 spring
Comparison of stock spring, cut stock spring and 1/2 coil cut from D50 spring
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

A little time in the shop over the weekend and I will be enjoying the ride!
The fabricated down pipe flange
The fabricated down pipe flange
The shortened front struts complete with moveable collars for ride height  adjustment , and Tokikos installed, tube cleaned and painted
The shortened front struts complete with moveable collars for ride height adjustment , and Tokikos installed, tube cleaned and painted
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Looking good. Nice work.

Where did you get the D50 springs? Which ones did you order?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just a cautionary note:

Be very careful, at the rear, that you DO NOT hit the bump stop. I cannot quite see in the picture, if it is all
still there. Before I removed mine totally, I had trimmed it down. It is very easy to blow through travel and hit that damn thing, with the subsequent instantaneous loss of traction...been there!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Time to get to some updates. Dave the rear springs are D50 front springs from RockAuto, part #RC2278...1980 2 litre pickup. Since I last updated I have cut the rear springs now a total of 1 complete coil which seems to be much better for both rate and ride height. I will need to slot the crossmember in the future a tad to compensate for changes in camber and toe, but its not that bad! I used Top End Performance bump stops in the rear to allow for the change in travel due to lowering. The front struts are also installed, along with 1" RCA's. The lower control arms seem to be at about the correct angle. After test driving, the Tokiko's are set at position (4) and I have no issues with bottoming...the ride is nice and firm. I have also installed a full set of Halogen headlights (Hella) from Susquehanna Motorsports. In order to complete this conversion I completely rewired the headlight system and added relays. Nice to have some good lights! The latest project has been to redo the interior. I stripped everything except the dash and began the process (1) Ospho (2) POR15 (3) Dynamat (4) padding/heat barrier (5) carpet (6) new seats maybe! I also figured out what I was going to do for tires and wheels. I ordered a set of Rota RB's with a 20mm backspacing (they are not a stocking item so I will wait for the container from the Philipines) and a set of Yokahama s-drives in size 195/50r15...can't wait to get those square tires of the 510. Thats about it for now...here are some pictures of the progress.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

4dr time warp 510 046.jpg
4dr time warp 510 045.jpg
floor boars with sound deadening removed and surface rust exposed
floor boars with sound deadening removed and surface rust exposed
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »