1972 1600SSS from New Zealand

View and post your 510 project(s)
broke

1972 1600SSS from New Zealand

Post by broke »

Well where to start?

I've owned this 1972 Datsun 1600 for acouple of years now, most of that time it's just sat around waiting for me to collect parts or motivation to work on it. Recently though, a teenage girl attempting to drive her mother's car totalled my daily driver in traffic, leaving me with a small sum to throw at the Datsun, and hopefully get it painted and road-legal.

So now the build begins in earnest
Last edited by broke on 20 May 2017 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
broke

Re: My 4-door "budget build" - Warning, camera phone pics!

Post by broke »

So here are a few pics of the body minus almost all of the exterior trim. I installed the Recaro seats by myself, they're out of a CC Mitsubishi Lancer GSR. I chose them because they're light ad because IMO they're the most comfortable car seats you can have.
1600-1.jpg
Attachments
1600-2.jpg
1600-4.jpg
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
watts510

Post by watts510 »

Seats are kick ass. :D
Procrastinate now why wait for later ? :)
broke

Post by broke »

Seats are kick ass. :D
Thanks, they were a whole separate nightmare in themselves!

Holy shit, what a nightmare it was getting the engine out! I actually didn't want to paint the engine bay at first, but a friend told me I would be gay if I didn't paint the engine bay too.

"Fuck you buddy!" I replied, "I ain't no poo-jabber!" and set to work.

I figured it would be easier to take the engine (L20B) off the gearbox (FS5W71B) then lift it out separately. Actually it was a total bitch.

For a start, the idiot P.O. (I could write a book about all the things this guy messed up) cheaped out and had the header welded right on to the exhaust, which is one piece right back to the rear crossmember. Even with the engine out it can't be removed with the car on the ground.

Secondly, a lot of careful wiggling of the engine (and swearing and grunting) with the engine mounts and gearbox crossmember totally unbolted was required to get the engine separated off the box and past the front crossmember.

When it comes time to refit, would it be easier to install the engine and box as one piece?
Attachments
1600-6.jpg
There's no turning back now!
There's no turning back now!
-McWicked
broke

Post by broke »

The P.O. had a thing for blue detailing too.. the engine was actually painted blue at some stage. I decided to paint it red, as it matches the plug wires, and everyone knows that painting it red makes the car go faster.
Attachments
First coats of red. You can just see the P.O's fucked-up dipstick tube modification in this pic
First coats of red. You can just see the P.O's fucked-up dipstick tube modification in this pic
A dirty old L series
A dirty old L series
It took a whole can of brake cleaner and a solid session with a wire brush on each side to get to this point!
It took a whole can of brake cleaner and a solid session with a wire brush on each side to get to this point!
Last edited by broke on 26 Dec 2009 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
-McWicked
James

engine re-install

Post by James »

Yes - I would install the tranny at the same time - otherwise you are going to have to go underneath, and re-install the tranny. Its pretty easy to angle the whole thing in. You need to have a leveling piece which allows the unit to tilt.
Also - you can have a flange welded up at the back of the header to allow it to be removed.
Here is a pic of mine going in so you can see the angle ( I took off the crank pulley for more room...) This is with a longer z 5 speed.
IMG_0910_2.jpg
IMG_0910_2.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 6839 times
I have heard of people removing the crossmember and installing the whole thing from below.
Project looks good!
Blue is the stock nissan block color.....
Finished is better than perfect......
broke

Post by broke »

Thanks for the pic James, better to find that out now than later! I think we're using exactly the same type of engine crane too, which helps. Yeah I'm going to chop the exhaust and get it slip-jointed when everyone opens up for business again. Interesting that blue is the stock engine colour, I figured it was painted by the P.O. because he painted the whole crossmember, front control arms, front hubs, struts etc. blue too.
-McWicked
broke

Post by broke »

I'm too much of a pauper for chrome, so I had a go at polishing the rocker cover myself. I really like that it's the early type rocker cover and has the metal cap too.
Attachments
Ugly, dirty, greasy - and that's just my fingernails!
Ugly, dirty, greasy - and that's just my fingernails!
Getting all the grease out of the letters is hard work
Getting all the grease out of the letters is hard work
First I cleaned it with mag wheel acid
First I cleaned it with mag wheel acid
-McWicked
broke

Post by broke »

I used Blue Magic and a buffing machine with a yellow Pacer pad on the rocker cover. I think it turned out pretty well.
Attachments
1600-13.jpg
1600-14.jpg
-McWicked
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

broke wrote:...and everyone knows that painting it red makes the car go faster.
:shock: :twisted: i painted mine green! :mrgreen:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
James

Post by James »

Valve cover looks good!

I figure my yellow spark plugs wires are good for at least 5 h.p. (at least from the mind-dyno).
Finished is better than perfect......
broke

Post by broke »

Hmm, well according to the now-defunct "beaterz.com" and "www.riceboypage.com" yellow is actually the new red... I'm not sure what benefits green gives... better fuel economy? Or more reliability perhaps?
Last edited by broke on 30 Dec 2009 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
-McWicked
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

broke wrote:Hmm, well according to the now-defunct "beaterz.com" and "www.riceboypage.com" yellow is actually the new red... I'm not sure what benefits green gives... better fuel economy? Or more reliability perhaps?
Green is Money, Baby! Money!
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

some brake clean should help with the grease between the lettering.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

You can never go wrong with white on a dime :)