1971 White S15 SR20DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
e510

1971 White S15 SR20DET

Post by e510 »

My name is Eric and have worked on 510's for a while now but was distracted with roadster's for the last 5 years as I live in Corvallis OR, where SPRISO motorsports lives. I was lucky enough to develop a great realshonship with Mr. Spreadbury and was taken under his wing for a while now. I have taken part in several builds over the past few years and have learned a ton. I was very lucky to take the opertunity to build a very nice 69' roadster powered by a S13 SR20DET.

Well now that the old vg33e is out I have gotten to work on the new project.

So I have been working on the 510 when I have extra time. Never enough time. But anyway I have gotten a lot done in the last few weeks. I was able to snap a couple photos on the way and so her you go.

The 510 when I pulled it in ready to pull the engine.

s15 SR20DET motor set

So now the work begins. I decided to mill the supports on the base of the oil pan that hits the center link.

A good friend of had a 68 cross member that was already flipped and had motor mounts made so we threw that in there and now able to put a mock in block to start fab work.

Now becomes the real work. Exhaust manifold. I want a tubular manifold that looks cool and is nice and strong as well as has good performance. Well you already didn't notice I can't put a normal sr manifold on the car as there is a steering box in the way. The steering box is really a change to get around. So I decided to build my own. I want stainless and something that wont crack right away. So I decide to buy a couple flanges and 100 bucks worth of weld elbows that are sch40 304 stainless. Nice and thick. This is the same stuff that full race, Peak boost manifolds are made of.

So I started by building the merge collector.

After I had that built I now need to find a good home for the turbo. So I think I found a good place for it.

I put the mock up head on and 1/2" mild steal flange and started getting creative. This is what I came up with. I happy with the result.

Intercooler came in. I'm happy with the results.

Made a small bracket and welded it to the intercooler.

Cut out the opening in the core support to put in the intercooler. I ended up bending a lip into the opening to make it look OE.
Still need to work on fit and finish work.

I decided on the moroso oil pan and happy with it especially for the money.

I will try to upload some more when I have time to snap some shots of the detailed engine.

Thanks
Eric
m33pm33p
Supporter

Re: 1971 White S15 SR20DET

Post by m33pm33p »

So that's why the motor setup was for sale.. hehe. Nice manifold, should be fun welding those tight corners in there. Looks like a solid piece though. Throw up a couple more pics of that roadster, it looks real slick as well.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Eric, I'd be curious to see the progress through welding the manifold runners together, & to the head flange, & to the turbo flange. Intermediate pics showing process during progress would be appreciated by us Luddites.
macdatty

Post by macdatty »

Hey Eric,
Do you have more photos of the roadster? And the 510 before the SR20?
Those first two images look very nice!
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

GREAT idea milling the clearance in the upper oil pan!! This might give me more room for the rack I'm using. Could you post more pictures post-cut? How thick is the remaining material in teh "wet" area?
Great manifold. Great work all around!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Nice work - thanks for posting the string of photos in the build.
I wish I had the room that your manifold has for my L motor, I'll need to package mine really tight because I have an intake manifold above that exhaust! I also bought steel flanges for both the head and the turbo, but have been debating whether or not to use steel or stainless steel for the actual tubes. Weld L's are available all over and make it easy I guess. What size did you choose for the weld L's (inner diameter measurement)?
Keep the pics coming, I love anything technical.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
e510

Post by e510 »

I was able to get about 8 hours of work on the car today. It took about 5+ just to weld up the manifold. I'm really happy with end results I'm just waiting for the turbo flange now. I was able to also weld up a upper water neck using the stock s15 cut to still have the turbo water supply and bleeder and then used the 90 deg. end from a Sentra SE-R. I then polished and adjusted the dipstick around the turbo.

The photos are how I had to weld it up as access is a challange. This manifold project was a very challegning yet rewarding project and very happy I was able to do it myself.

Some pictures of the detailed engine. I have not yet decided on a valve cover color.

The upper water neck worked out well and looks good after a polish.

Hope you enjoyed.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Awesome work - that looks sooo nice!
I'm your huckleberry.
sexyL

Post by sexyL »

Loving the manifold...
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Yes, yes, very nice fab work. Also, thank you for going to the trouble of taking pictures through the process and posting them. It is helpful for all of us to see how each other person is making their own way through their own individual builds.
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

That is a very clean car. I like the intercooler and keeping the lights functional with this swap.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Awesome fab work! I like the main pics. Was it a bitch to weld everything together, It seems if the right plan of attack was taken some connections would be covered by other runners making some spots difficult to weld. Did you run into any problems like that?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Nice to see proper prep work as well, beveled edges, Acetone, back purged I'm assuming?

Did you have to pre heat the flange when welding your primaries to it? Great work! Can't wait to start on mine.

Scott.
e510

Post by e510 »

Did you have to pre heat the flange when welding your primaries to it?
Thanks

I didn't preheat the flange as I didn't want to put any more heat then needed. The stainless wets in very quickly and you don't want to do long beads as you want to keep the temp under 800 deg. as that temp changes the stainless properties.

I actually didn't back purge it as it would be very difficult to do and with the thickness of the metal you don't get the crystallization on the inside.
Did you run into any problems like that?
By cutting it apart and welding those unreachable welds then reassembling it worked very good.
What size did you choose for the weld L's
The weld elbows are 1.5" elbows. That is pretty standard for SR's. I know they make 1.25" but I would measure what the port size and just use that as your limit.
Could you post more pictures post-cut? How thick is the remaining material in teh "wet" area?
I will try to get some more pictures after the engine is in. I just made the thickness the same as everything around it. There are no indentations on the inside so I'm not worried about any thin spots.

This is a build thread of the car as it was no small project. enjoy

http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9124
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

Wow. That manifold looks beautiful. I hope to be able to build a beautiful piece like this someday. Thanks for posting it!