Re: A 510 30 years in planing.

Post by icehouse »

Is the rack and pinion in yet?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Not yet Jeff, it's all still sitting in a box on my work bench. Just waiting on the bushings. Literally haven't made it out to the mail box to see if they're here. Been one hell of a week with no end in sight. It's likely Troy will do most of it as my confidence with the wrenches is waining. I want to be sure it's done right.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I know how life can be!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Just checked the mailbox and the bushings are here. I've run out of excuses.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

The realities of getting old are not excuses, they are the realities of getting old. Oh wait, I'm repeating myself...
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Another reality of getting old.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

After a solid month of playing intermediary between conflicting personalities, four different parts venders, and an impatient brother, we are picking up the 510 up from Troys Ermish's shop tomorrow. Turns out there was more to installing Icehouse's rack than anticipated. Let's just say not all SR swaps are alike, and there's no one size fits all solution for converting an early 70s Datsun 510 to a late 80s Toyota MR2 rack and pinion. For my car the down pipe needed to be rebuilt, the oil return from the turbo needed to be re-configured, and the motor mount brackets had to be lovingly modified for my newer blacktop S13. I'm thankful Troy and Jeff's patience held out long enough to get the job done. Looking forward to getting the car back in my garage.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

I was down at Laguna Seca for the Historic Races this weekend saw Troy kicking booty! He won both races on Sunday. One thing was interesting, he was the only driver warming up his tires ! https://youtu.be/HgF9hBX57MM Sorry about the crappy video, oh well!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

It's funny, no one told Troy vintage racing is supposed a demonstration of history. Boy takes that shit seriously. He holds lap records at Laguna, Sonoma, and Willow Springs. Thanks for the vid Joel.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Glad to hear it's almost home!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

The Angel Has Landed!

I've been so damn busy though, I haven't had time to shake it down. Right now it's running like shit so I need to figure that out first. As it's building boost under hard throttle, the waste gate starts to flutter dumping boost and falling on it's face. Sounds like a vacuum hose is leaking/disconnected, or reconnected wrong. I swear, it feels like I've been running in circles putting out fires in all directions these days.

I'll get some picts posted up as soon as I have a chance.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I re watched your video. I forgot you originally had polly mounts engine mounts. I'm sure that alone makes the car feel WAY different. I did polly once.... WOW it was to intense for me. I daily all my 510's though.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I've been cleaning up the rats nest behind the dash, tidying up the engine compartment, new brake and clutch master cylinder, new spark plug wires, and a fresh set of shoes.