A 510 30 years in planing.

View and post your 510 project(s)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: A 510 30 years in planing.

Post by two_68_510s »

Hey Ron, sounds like it will be safer for those drives over the hill to Santa Cruz :wink:
You know HWY 17 is your playground! :twisted:
Glad you are still at it.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Joel,

Yes Sir, That is the first fun run I have planned. You know if I'm really feeling feisty I might take 35 all the way there. Now that would be epic. I haven't dropped the ball all together, but I sure as hell haven't been wrench, or driving the Yellow Menace these days. I'm getting pulled in other directions as I'm sure you can relate. I wish I could say I've got some bitch'n project up my sleeve, but in all reality, my big imagination is being stored in a small box these days. The wife and kids went back east to visit the in laws for a week, so I was darn lucky to carve time to swap the gasket.

BE good pal and I hope to see you on the hill soon.

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Well, it's been a while, so I thought I'd post another update on the Not So Mellow Yellow 510. It took much longer than I expected to get the car back on it's feet after rebuilding the head. While doing the work I found a really nice solution for safely running any ratio gas/ethanol blend. Zeitronix makes a fuel sensor and ethanol content analyzer that provide data to the ECU so it can adjust tune for any blend like a flex fuel system. Installing this was easy, but it required specialized programing, and dyno tuning. I got the car in line for an opening at Rebello, but while waiting... well life just kept going. We discovered extensive water damage in our kitchen due to a leaking dishwasher. Dealing with insurance BS and doing the work myself occupied much of my play time and play money. Then Dave Rebello's father passed away, and they shut down for a while. This backed things up at the shop and it took them quite a while to recover. Once everything had a chance to settle the kitchen turned out great and so did the car.

When the shop got back on it's feet, Bryan did the tuning. Pushed on e85 at 14 psi the car made just under 300HP. This was as much as could be expected running the stock s13 cams. Bryan said he tried pushing to 16psi, but it produced no more HP. To be honest, I don't want any more power, cuz 300 is already stupid fun. If anything I might look for stage 1 cams that would produce more low end. Right now it's a bit of an on off switch between at around 4K rpm. If I could get more HP pre boost, I'm thinking it might fill in the gap a little. I'd also like to see if a little overlap and duration on the cam would improve quicker boost. I know it has more to do with displacement and turbo size, but having restrictive exhaust via cam (pre turbine) can't help. If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Here are some photos of the motor now. The ignition system is a total melting pot. Half Nissan half GM harness, GM coils, and Toyota plug boots. So far everyone is getting along just fine.
Attachments
motor.jpg
motor.jpg (218.55 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
coils.jpg
coils.jpg (182.79 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
plugs.jpg
plugs.jpg (155.82 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Last edited by RonM on 27 Apr 2015 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Also tidied up a few things. I modified the plumbing on an aluminum catch can to make a rad overflow reservoir.
Attachments
can.jpg
can.jpg (170.13 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM LIVES!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Love the Can. Did you make that?
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

A bit worn, but still kicking Okay.

No Matt. I picked it up on Enjuku for like $75, then modified / repurposed it to suite my needs.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Howdy Ron, did you wrinkle up the roof yet with all that power?

Glad it is back up and running.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Joel! Been a while man.

Maybe I forgot to post the update, but I actually replaced the old metal roof with a bullet proof, twist-O-flex 3000 ply-resin composite roof. I also installed a pull down diaper dispenser under the dash. :lol: If it weren't for the roll cage, I'm sure the car would be a pretzel by now.

Everything about the car is pretty normal until it climbs into some boost, then all hell breaks loose. It's fun, but a hard to control. I really shouldn't disparage Bryan's tune at all. It has crisp throttle response even in the upper rpm range, but subtle throttle input is next to impossible when you're being tossed around under all that power. I'm hoping to rase some more low end and program the ECU to ramp the boost to flatten the power curve a bit.

I also think I'm in need of stiffer rear springs. Get on the power and the ass end squats a good 2". Makes it kind of interesting powering through a corner when the wheels are pointing in two directions. :shock: Hello, semi trailing arm! You know Joel, I'm beginning to believe the word "done" is systematically removed from the Datsun owners vocabulary.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

DONE...does not exist!

sounds like a few of our cars. You could try changing the throttle leverage, to slow down the throttle.

Make sure you have NO toe out...better to have some inner tire wear than have the car steering all over the place.

good to see you back online.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Thanks Keith, good advice as always. What do you think of also trading up to 300 lb. springs in the rear? I'm running 250 all round right now.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Hey Ron, good to hear from you. Are you running the stock ECU? I recently upgraded to a S15 T28 with STI fuel injectors and z32 maf. When I had it dyno tuned at 14 LBS of boost I hit 343 WHP. It was on a Mustang dyno which I have heard both sides of the spectrum of them producing more HP numbers than realty or some people saying they are the most accurate.
looking for pass. side arm rest
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Mt.kid.

It's good to be poking my nose in again. I'm running a Link G4 stand alone ECU.

Wow, those are some impressive numbers. Sounds like you've been busy man, but I didn't see any of this stuff on your build thread. Okay, now I have a few questions.

Are you using a reflashed stock ECU, or stand alone?

Are you running stock cams?

What other modifications have you done?

Are you making those numbers on pump gas, e85, or race fuel?

What is your power curve like?

Do you tune things down on the track so it's more controllable? Cuz 350 must be full goose bozo. I step on mine and shit gets serious quick. It's a paper thin line between driving hard and drifting. With all that going on, trying to set up for the next turn is like putting sox on an octopus. I think I'll take Keith's advice and rework the throttle linkage to gain some more throw.

How are your times with the new monster BTW?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

RonM wrote:Well, it's been a while, so I thought I'd post another update on the Not So Mellow Yellow 510. It took much longer than I expected to get the car back on it's feet after rebuilding the head. While doing the work I found a really nice solution for safely running any ratio gas/ethanol blend. Zeitronix makes a fuel sensor and ethanol content analyzer that provide data to the ECU so it can adjust tune for any blend like a flex fuel system. Installing this was easy, but it required specialized programing, and dyno tuning. I got the car in line for an opening at Rebello, but while waiting... well life just kept going. We discovered extensive water damage in our kitchen due to a leaking dishwasher. Dealing with insurance BS and doing the work myself occupied much of my play time and play money. Then Dave Rebello's father passed away, and they shut down for a while. This backed things up at the shop and it took them quite a while to recover. Once everything had a chance to settle the kitchen turned out great and so did the car.

When the shop got back on it's feet, Bryan did the tuning. Pushed on e85 at 14 psi the car made just under 300HP. This was as much as could be expected running the stock s13 cams. Bryan said he tried pushing to 16psi, but it produced no more HP. To be honest, I don't want any more power, cuz 300 is already stupid fun. If anything I might look for stage 1 cams that would produce more low end. Right now it's a bit of an on off switch between at around 4K rpm. If I could get more HP pre boost, I'm thinking it might fill in the gap a little. I'd also like to see if a little overlap and duration on the cam would improve quicker boost. I know it has more to do with displacement and turbo size, but having restrictive exhaust via cam (pre turbine) can't help. If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Here are some photos of the motor now. The ignition system is a total melting pot. Half Nissan half GM harness, GM coils, and Toyota plug boots. So far everyone is getting along just fine.

Damn nice it is!!!! But couldn't help notice what looks like the plug well booths are not or do not seal around the well the way it should. I'll go out on a limb and say those Yoda plug boots don't fit. Magna core makes a set for the RWD S14/S15 NA SR20DE as I worked with those guys getting plug boots that fit and wires that were long enough because the stocked wires they had were to short and the plug insulator was too long and boots didn't seal. But we got it figured out and done
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Its the stock ECU with a nistune re flash running on regular pump gas. Yes right now I'm on stock cams. Basically all I have done is Full exhaust from turbo back, front mount intercooler, s15 spec r t28, z32 maf, sti 520cc injectors. Thats about it. Here is a picture of the power band from the dyno run. And sorry I need to correct my HP numbers its 334 not 343. Just mixed the numbers up.

looking for pass. side arm rest