A 510 30 years in planing.

View and post your 510 project(s)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: A 510 30 years in planing.

Post by two_68_510s »

Looking Good Ron! Don't you want to drive it down to Ben Lomond? Highway 9 is calling! ;)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Joel,

Thanks Man. I owe it to you to get out there, but I'm not driving any more. I would love to do a road trip in the car with my brother. He lives in San Mateo so maybe we could. Been exorcizing my patience dealing with the electrical under the dash. You'd be proud, huge LED floodlight and magnifying glass. :shock:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Work has continued on cleaning up the wiring and for the first time sense owning the car, all the lights and gauges work properly and have continued to work for more than a week. Had to reroute the fuel level sending wire. I originally ran it along side the battery's positive power cable to the dash, but that messed with the low voltage signal giving false readings. Pretty much rebuilt the entire rear wiring harness for the blinkers, brake lights and reverse. Traced out and removed all the unused wires under that dash. In the engine bay, I routed the main harness bundle along the lower frame rail and base of the strut tower instead of along the top near the camber plate. Honestly don't know what I was thinking when I did that. Ugly as Chuchill's older sister.

bay.JPG
bay.JPG (184.57 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
2ECU.JPG
2ECU.JPG (206.12 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
2colom.JPG
2colom.JPG (166.99 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Last edited by RonM on 14 Jun 2018 15:50, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Also after installing Jeff's Rack&Pinion kit it needed some serious tuning. With all that immediacy at the wheel, the rest of the suspension was feeling pretty soggy. I sold a bunch of parts and upgraded my coil overs with T3 adjustable. We spent half a day on the alignment rack dialing everything in. With the interest in a lightening the wheel, we pushed the castor all the way to 3.8 degrees with the first setup and still have no bump steer issues. Mind you, the wheel doesn't spring back to neutral straight like with 5.5 degree, but it felt like taking 1000 lbs. off the front of the car. Turn the wheel with one hand and it snaps in that direction right now. the handling is stupid crisp and responsive, but getting used to it is going to be another learning curve. I predict we'll add more castor before we find the sweet spot.

strutJPG.JPG
strutJPG.JPG (197.21 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
2plate.JPG
2plate.JPG (149.67 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
2REAR.JPG
2REAR.JPG (152.33 KiB) Viewed 2074 times