The Greg Terry Memorial Build

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: The Greg Terry Memorial Build

Post by Byron510 »

I didn't post pictures from a couple weeks ago when I got my seats back from the upholstery shop. Man they are so much better.

Obviously the seats were in need of refurbishing, but I went one step further. The reason I picked James to do the job was that I wanted to re-do the springs in something heavier - springs that would support my 250 lb frame which is a huge step up from the 100 lb frame these seats were originally built to support. But I wanted to retain the stock look. I believe both criteria were met very well. These stock (ish) seats are actually comfortable to sit on - in the shop at least. Ask me after a 12 hour drive and I'm sure any seat made in the last 20 years would be preferable, but I do hope it's a step up. Time will tell if the G note was worth the investment in this pair of seats.

You compare the photos below, and you can see James hit the look bang on for originality. Hard to believe the springs sitting under that upholstery are 2 wire sizes bigger!

James can be contacted here – he is a great guy to deal with – strait up, held to his word on the quote and delivered a quality product;
http://www.classicthreadz.com/
Attachments
old.JPG
old.JPG (32.05 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
new 1.JPG
new 1.JPG (48.2 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
new 2.JPG
new 2.JPG (50.64 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Man those are beautiful! And stronger too! Nice
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Those look great. Totally custom, or slip-over covers? Basketweave pretty similar to stock? Very nice!!!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

S15DET wrote:Those look great. Totally custom, or slip-over covers? Basketweave pretty similar to stock? Very nice!!!
The seats are completely custom. When James took on the job, he came over with all of his catalogs, and we chose the materials. He must have had 60 choices of the black vinyl used on the sides alone, and the material for the center inserts took him weeks to find, and it's extremely close.

The seats were completely recovered, and assembled exactly like the factory did it. I will take a picture of the bottom side, it shows the craftsmanship.

Now that the front seats look so good, I might have to do the rear now just so it matches.

I'm very happy with the job well done.

Byron
70bird

Post by 70bird »

Been two months how's this project going?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

70bird wrote:Been two months how's this project going?
Aside from the arrival of the seats and some plated parts, it's been over 4 months since there has been any meaningful progress.
But don't dispare....I'm not putting the project away, I've just been sidetracked with the usual summer fun stuff.
I'll be getting back into the routine now that winter is here. We'll have one more drive, and I'll get the emissions test out of the way and we'll be back full bore on the Greg Terry Memorial Project.

The goal is to have it at JCS next year - 2013 ... There I dropped the gauntlet publicly.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was mail opening day today.
But a big special thanks goes out to Dave Patton at Futo Fab today.
Dave donated this NOS battery tray and the pair of NOS front brake pad clips for the Greg Terry Build.

Thanks so much Dave, they will both work great on the Greg Terry build.

Byron
Attachments
DSC07895 (Small).JPG
DSC07895 (Small).JPG (42.77 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
DSC07897 (Small).JPG
DSC07897 (Small).JPG (49.94 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I also received the NOS fuel hoses and the fuse block cover parts I purchased from Michael Spreadbury this past week (actually they came last week but I was out of town for work).

Again it's so nice to receive parts in a timely fashion, well packaged and in the condition they were advertised as. Michael also donated the relay for the Greg Terry Project - thanks very much Michael, it's really appreciated. I do look forward to getting the car to Long Beach for JCCS this year, hopefully you get to see it there - all going well.

Byron
Attachments
DSC07914 (Small).JPG
DSC07914 (Small).JPG (49.38 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
DSC07903 (Small).JPG
DSC07903 (Small).JPG (45.57 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Byron,

I think it would be a good idea to post an updated list of needed items. This project is so cool and I know people would want to help out. I know I have lots of NOS stuff so I may be willing to part with a few bits to help out. Better to get them on a car then sit in boxes in the garage.

David
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks David,

In a couple weeks I will have some time off work. And aside from re-wiring the 220 power for my lathe, I will be putting in some time on the Greg Terry Car. I will take an inventory and hopefully get a list of what I need. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated for sure.

I appreciate the offer for sure.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, I didn’t do anything on my 510 today, but I spent some time on the workshop. My BMX bikes have been tripped over for nearly a year in the shop, so I quickly made some brackets out of bike hooks and attempt to mount these to the wall yesterday with Tapcon concrete screws – that FAILED big time as I was able to pull the bracket out of the wall by hand – with some concrete attached! This action led to the acquisition of a real hammer drill instead of the ½” hand vibrator which I’ve been using until now. 3/8” taper/threaded Redhead anchors replaced the screws, and we’re good as gold now. The Mongoose is on the right, the Diamondback in the middle. I'd like to polish the Redline up a bit before hanging it up on the left hook which is currently empty.

I also modified a pair book shelf brackets I had laying around, and mounted up another pair of twin tube florescent lights above my work bench. I’d been without this light since my lathe took over the former spot for the work bench. Now it’s time to consolidate tool boxes and clear that bench for good, but that will wait, it’s time to get back on the Greg Terry car!

However I had a debt to pay, in a way. A friend of my father, who has helped me out quite a few times in the past couple years including recently pulling wire for the lathe, needed some machine work done to some cast Chev Colorado 6 cyl motor mounts. He’s installing the engine (with 5 spd) into his 48 Ford and the mounts needed to be swapped side for side, which meant some re drilling of the holes. It was interesting playing with cast iron motor mounts, but we were able to machine up a solution for him which will work well. At one point I needed to make of a cantilevered washer/clap, but had nothing but aluminum on hand. In the scrap pile I had an unknown (possibly 280ZX) steering arm, which donated itself to be used for this clamp. As it turned out one section initially still had the Datsun part numbers on it, and we joked about leaving them in place just to screw with someone down the line. But as it worked out, the numbers ended up getting machined off.

Back to Datsun’s tomorrow.

Byron
Attachments
DSC08230 (Small).JPG
DSC08230 (Small).JPG (51.24 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
DSC08237 (Small).JPG
DSC08237 (Small).JPG (44 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have actually been doing quite a bit of work lately on the 510’s, but I haven’t been posting much on the Memorial Project here. So here’s an update;
Last weekend I assembled the wiper linkage. As some may remember I disassembled all the parts, and sent out the steel linkage for cad plating. Last weekend I managed to coax some grease into each of those funny little pressed and riveted mono ball joints and finished cleaning and polishing the die cast aluminum pivot stanchions – which are entirely not visible… the joys of restorations :D
However with the studs detailed, and new mounting hardware at hand, I assembled the linkage to the car last weekend. This weekend I attached the detailed wiper motor (which was disassembled for card plating the steel parts as well, and assembled and tested last fall). Finding the correct screws to mount it to the firewall proved a challenge, but I did find them after some serious searching. Just remember that I did not disassemble this car – it came to me in about 200 unmarked boxes! These are fun times. However I’d like to thank board member Martin Dunn, from Australia, who sent me the new electrical connector for this wiper motor – certainly finishes off the part very well. Thanks again Martin, it looks great.
Attachments
DSC08306 (Small).JPG
DSC08306 (Small).JPG (35.97 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
DSC08309 (Small).JPG
DSC08309 (Small).JPG (38.98 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The next step was to “simply” install the cowl vent…

Ha!

Again, remember that I didn’t take this apart…and what screws were there anyways???!!! Thankfully I have a couple of reference vehicles, without this I’d truly be lost. Then it was trying to find some identical screws that were in worth shape for this project. Thankfully my stock of old bits of hardware is large. I think I assembled the wiper motor and linkage in less time than it took me to identify and locate these five screws!

But it looks good in place. Man it sure feels good to be bolting things on!
Attachments
DSC08310 (Small).JPG
DSC08310 (Small).JPG (40.63 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
DSC08311 (Small).JPG
DSC08311 (Small).JPG (41.37 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
DSC08312 (Small).JPG
DSC08312 (Small).JPG (28.6 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So, in keeping with the ‘bolting on of parts’ momentum, I simple grabbed a box and front end bits was what came to hand. I took these babies out of the box for the first time, and was likely the first person to put any finger prints on these pieces of trim since they left the manufacturer headed for a Nissan warehouse. … And a I was back scrounging for bloody screws again! But the first installed pieces of chrome looked good I must say; The first of many, many OEM parts that will go into this car.

Enjoy the eye candy.
Attachments
DSC08313 (Small).JPG
DSC08313 (Small).JPG (48.07 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
DSC08314 (Small).JPG
DSC08314 (Small).JPG (35.26 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
DSC08321 (Small).JPG
DSC08321 (Small).JPG (42.36 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

And since I was messing around with the front of the car, I figured it was about time to install more OEM parts - the headlight buckets complete with new Toshiba lights (well three of them anyways - I was short one new hi/lo, but chose a suitable used one for the build). And again, scrounging for the right screws in good condition.
Note the stampings on the new housings - I find the 510 one interesting. I guess this is so the parts don’t get confused on parallel assembly lines.

So looking back at the day’s progress, it looked good. And then I realized that I’ll need to take those headlight buckets out again to install the chrome trim under them. And actually I don’t mind, because I didn’t Never Seize the screws on assembly so I can correct both issues when I reassemble :D

It’s coming together though. I hope to get back on the interior, and somehow figure out all the linkage in the doors for the glass tracks and winder mechanism.

Byron
Attachments
DSC08322 (Small).JPG
DSC08322 (Small).JPG (52.65 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
DSC08339 (Small).JPG
DSC08339 (Small).JPG (55.51 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
DSC08340 (Small).JPG
DSC08340 (Small).JPG (51.05 KiB) Viewed 3889 times