The Greg Terry Memorial Build

View and post your 510 project(s)
Camano510
Supporter

Re: The Greg Terry Memorial Build

Post by Camano510 »

FEBRUARY?!

Just joking- Few know more about walking away from projects for long periods better than me.

Free bump!

Cheers!
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Admittedly, updates have been lax on my behalf.
But I do get the odd day in on the car... just not enough of them.

I'll dig up photos and post progress. February is right...been a slacker on the updates no doubt.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

See guys? A gentle prod, and the great ones react.

Looking forward to the progress Byron!
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

ImageImage
I noticed the clear plastic tubes on the majority of parts i got back from Norm to be hard, hazy, red with rust or missing.
I found that I.V. drip hose and fish tank bubblier hose have the right ID to fit over the springs. If you know someone in the health field or tropical fish industry I'm sure you could get some for free. :wink:
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Admittedly, progress on the Greg Terry car has been slow. I have been tooling around in the background on parts, but not getting very close to the car itself – other than putting about 2 miles on the car pushing it around the shop on the floor jack….

However yesterday I finally made a move – one that I have been dreading - disturbing my nice paint work! Back when I installed the drive train, I found that the two fwd captive nuts in the floor pan meant to secure the transmission cross member would need to be repaired. Due to the fact that the “nut” is so shallow, my original intention of helicoiling them was pretty much out of the question. Earlier this summer, I did make some mild steel square nuts, then thinking that these would not be strong enough, I made some more out of 4140 HTSR. Then I doubted the welding of the HTSR higher carbon tool steel to the floor pan… and pondered this for a few months.
Well yesterday I pulled the plug, and prepared the floor pan for the 4140 nuts. They look pretty good in place, but now I need to weld them. And again – I ponder…. Tig or Mig……
Well, I have wanted to set up my used Thermal Arc 150 for a long time – so I used the day to go an purchase a small Argon bottle, a few Lanthinated tungsten’s and a package of 1/16 ER70S and 309L rods.

I’m still on the fence on which method I should use to weld this…

Photos of the nuts in place, awaiting my welding decision.

Then I need to decide on how to repair the painted areas on both sides of the floor pan to the quality that I had originally done. This is the part I dread the most.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_1327 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1327 (Medium).JPG (188.63 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
IMG_1326 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1326 (Medium).JPG (177.15 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Yikes!

I applaud your bravery.... I'm pulling for you. Maybe some of that heat absorbing putty material as close as possible to keep the heat down? Just a thought...

Is the paint clearcoated, or a single stage?
Darryl Cavanaugh
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

The overall heat input will be less with the MIG, stop start, quench in between?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

John,

I certainly agree with you on that one.

Buy the other side of my brain says I'll be able to better control the hea with the TIG...

Still on the fence. But thanks for your input.

Byron
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Here is my .02.

To emulate the look of the original nuts, I would use TIG and only tack it on the corners. A short high amp blast with a quick feed of filler on each corner should do the job. Once you strike the arc, stand on the pedal. Don't try to ease into it, as that will just input more heat into the piece. Definitely do some practice runs on some scrap pieces.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks Duke,

The reason set up the TIG last weekend was to do a clean job of it and grater control.

The practice parts will be the key, get the system down as I wil have only one chance to execute the job.

I'll keep you posted.

Byron
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

If it was me, I would put a couple of Tig tacks in two opposite corners just to hold the nut in place for when you remove the bolt in future R&R's. Use a wrench & a helper when assembling. Hell, I think the ordinal nut was just spot welded in. On second thought, how about epoxying them in place, no heat, just paint.
Byron510

OEM Door Mirror Mounting Instructions

Post by Byron510 »

I had a Realm member request a photo of the stock PL510 OEM mirror mounting instructions, and since I could not email all he photos at once, I thought this would be the best place to file the photos for all to reference in the future should they need it.

Obviously this was a North American Market part number as all dimensions are imperial. I wonder if there is a mirror part number out there that is different only because this drawing is supplied in metric....

Byron
Attachments
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

And a few more detail photos.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I wish they followed these instructions when installing the mirror on my 71 goon. it's like half way down the door. interesting to note that my 68 and 69 mirrors were installed above line A
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Byron, what happened about welding the transmission crossmember nut to the floor?!? too much suspense!!!