PoorMtnKids 70 2DR

View and post your 510 project(s)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

PoorMtnKids 70 2DR

Post by PoorMtnKid »

I decided to start a project build topic for my car to document all the things I have done. I little background on the car. I picked it up at the end of Sept from Reno NV. I live in Las Vegas so I was lucky enough to be able to drive it the 7 1/2 hours home with not a single problem. This is how I picked it up.

Since then I have done a few things. I have taken out the cut stock springs and replaced them with some other cut stock springs. The ones I put in are not as low which is much better since it does not bottom out and I have a way smoother ride now. I have also taken out the side marker lights and shaved them in and did a little bondo work. That was my first time experiencing with any body work but I feel did a pretty solid job. Also I was able to piece together all of the grill parts that were in the back seat and trunk of the car. I did a little paint job and buffing of the chrome.

looking for pass. side arm rest
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: PoorMtnKids 70 2DR

Post by PoorMtnKid »

My latest project on the car was to try and make some door panels. I had my dad help me with this. It was my first time doing it and he has not done it since he was a kid. We used a 1/8 Masonite for the backing of the panels and also an 1/8 foam and a carbon fiber look alike vinyl. Also at the upholstery shop we got out materials from they had clips that worked perfect in the original holes that were on the car. Here are a few pics of the panels. I rate them a B. There are a few spots that I could have done a better job on and I think I can fix those areas with out making all new ones.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Looks like a good start. Those are the kinds of projects I did at first on my first 510!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
n0rm510

Post by n0rm510 »

are those sss emblems on the rear vents???
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

n0rm510 wrote:are those sss emblems on the rear vents???
No its the 510 emblem. And its only on the one side. I need to take it off.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Last weekend I got around to installing the rear seat out of a 95-98 240sx. I purchased the seat on craigslist from someone for 40 bucks. I seen on here someone else do it and it looked clean so I decided to give it a go. Pretty easy install. All you really need to do to make them fit good is un hook some of the hog ties on the bottom cushion and cut back 3-4 inches of the foam. There is some steel bars that you will need to hack off after wards. I cut mine back to the next horizontal bar so i was able to pull the cover material back over and re hog tie them down. As for the back of the seat I just had some L brackets that were pretty small that I just screwed to the back of the seat and then bolted it down to the back where the speakers are suppose to go. Overall I was pretty satisfied with everything how they turned out. Now for the few pics. I never realized how hard it is to get good pictures of the back seat!

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Over last 3 months or so I have been collecting the parts to swap over all of the 280zx brakes. I have the front strut and break set up now ready to swap in with Ground control coil overs. For the rear just a few days ago I followed the Dime quarterly "how to stop and dime on a dime" issue to make the back mounting brackets. My dad was the one who said that we can make them on our own. I was skeptical at first my them came out pretty good. I have not welded them up yet because I still need to get tires for my 15 inch wheels then I'm going to swap it all at once. Any way here is a pic of the mounting brackets. I will update some more pics once the whole swap is complete.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

We do the DQ stuff specifically for guys like you. The brackets look good.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Nice!! How did you cut the brackets out?? they look nice, not quite laser cut but damn nice!! it had to be hard to cut that shape....please tell me what tools you used to cut them., thanks, Rich
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I like the rear seat install. From looking at the metal rear wheel hump, it looks like the S14 seat back is a lot thicker than the stock seat. Did you loose a lot of rear leg room by installing these seats?
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

goichi1 wrote:Nice!! How did you cut the brackets out?? they look nice, not quite laser cut but damn nice!! it had to be hard to cut that shape....please tell me what tools you used to cut them., thanks, Rich
To cut them I used just a hand grinder with a about 8 four inch cutting wheels, the real thin ones. We basically cut everything in a strait cut with that then once we had it as close to the shape we wanted we took it over to the mounted grinding wheel on my dads work bench and just used that to get the exact shape we wanted. I still want to smooth them out but that will come right before welding.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

S15DET wrote:I like the rear seat install. From looking at the metal rear wheel hump, it looks like the S14 seat back is a lot thicker than the stock seat. Did you loose a lot of rear leg room by installing these seats?
I really cant say how much thicker the seat is too the stock because I never had the stock rear seat. I did not add any extra foam where you would actually sit on the seats and it feels great. I did add extra foam in between the two but parts because on the s14 there would be a hump there and the foam was think which it wrapped around. So I just took some foam about 5 inches thick or so and hog tied it in the middle so it was not so thin there.

As for the leg room. It does over hang from the metal part the goes vertical from the floor but once again not sure how much it took away from stock. But back seats for the 510? Why did they even come with them in the 2 door lol?
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

okayfine wrote:We do the DQ stuff specifically for guys like you. The brackets look good.
I know I love it. There are so many good articles. Im waiting for the next one when they do the custom fuse box. When I got this one where they break down the differences I looked into mine and found out that a few of mine are completly missing from the box. It looks like the metal clips that hold the fuse in place got hot and melted the plastic of the box.

Thats why I want to see this next article so I can jump on building a new one.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Just yesterday I installed my 280zx struts in the front and also put on my 280zx 15 inch wheels. I also got new brake hoses since the ones from the junk yard were crap. Next thing to do is the rear discs. I almost have everything ready I just need to get the BMC and new rear hoses. Now the pics!

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Today I was able to take the old drums out and put in the 280zx rear discs. Overall I am pretty satisfied with how they came out, and how easy it really was to do this type of work. My welds are not the best so dont bag haha. Just waiting on a master cylinder and I will be back on the road, should be here by the end of the week.