PoorMtnKids 70 2DR

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: PoorMtnKids 70 2DR

Post by bertvorgon »

I would think that would be ok, as long as they are not really crapped up.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Last weekend a few friends, my dad, and I took a drive from in Vegas out to a town called Overton. The road follows lake mead and has some nice curves and great desert scenery. After getting to overton we went through the valley of fire and back to vegas. It was a good 150 miles round trip, super fun day. Here are a couple of pictures from the day of my fathers Fiat and of my car.

Image.

looking for pass. side arm rest
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Looks like you had a good run,
I'd have been there if I hadn't been in SoCal that weekend.
BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Bike papa wrote:if I hadn't been in SoCal that weekend.
You bastard! :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Bike papa wrote:Looks like you had a good run,
I'd have been there if I hadn't been in SoCal that weekend.
BP
Let me know when you want to get together, I would do it again. The only thing was the drive through the valely of fire was too crowded and the road was rough, so next time I would just come back through the same way. Plus we would not have to pay another $10 for the valley of fire....
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

any more pics of the fiat? reminds me of a renault my uncle had..
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

NICKLE&DIME wrote:any more pics of the fiat? reminds me of a renault my uncle had..

2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Fiat 124 sport coupe. That's something you don't see anymore, at all!
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Went out to the autocross today for the first time in a while. It started off a little dull since I have been use to the track days and multiple laps. But the second half of the day got more interesting as I was able to work on getting my times down. I went with my friend with the crazy Miata below and he feels the same as I do. But then we were competing against each other and it made it more fun.

My first run of the day was a 61.2, I was able to get down to an unofficial time of 56.7 but due to a hit cone it was still my best time of the day adding two seconds on ending at 58.7. What got my time so low on the last 2 laps was I started shifting down to 1st in this tight hair pin instead of staying in second and bogging down. It actually helped out a lot.

Unfortunately with the motor swap I'm in SM class with two Subaru STI's that go on a monthly basis. The second place of the group got 55.988 and the first place guy got 51.906. He was the second fastest of the day only behind a shifter cart. Overall though with my last run getting the 56.7+ cone I was pretty stoked I was able to bring it down that much, it actually makes me want to do more events.

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Did another autocross this weekend. Here is a video of my best run. http://youtu.be/DeYN8N_baSc
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

So I know our cars are as aerodynamic as a semi truck, but a friend of mine is starting a new shop here in town and I wanted to help him out. He has been wanting to build me a splitter so I let him go about it. I'm hoping it can help out on the track days with cooling more than down force. Its made of wood wrapped in a hex weave carbon fiber.

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

So went out to a track day and had pretty good results with the car. My lap times were not the best but I finally overcome my overheating issues. Since the last time I was out I upgraded the turbo to be more efficient as Bert was saying some time back, I also added the splitter which some people said should help direct air to the radiator. I still have the issue of after so much abuse my turbo nuts/studs to the manifold backing out and loosing boost. I'm going to ditch my manifold and save up for a new manifold with vband clamp for both manifold to turbo and turbo to down pipe.

My buddy and I also mocked up some wheel spats to compliment the splitter.

And here is a video of my best lap, running only 10 lbs of boost due to manifold leak.
https://youtu.be/puTeqd2cH6g
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Wow, that's some nice footage there kid. I love the reflection of the sky in the hood. :D eye candy. Looks like you've got that car really dialed in. Congratulations.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

With my ongoing battle of blowing turbo/manfiold gasets I decided to really eliminate the problem. I went to a DOC Race turbo manifold. This manifold allowed me to use a vband instead of the 4 bolt standard flange. I had to get a new exhaust housing for the T28 turbo Im running and also go to an external waste gate.

The set up was the biggest head ache ever. The manfiold is HUGE compared to the crappy CX racing mani I had on before, plus the external waste gate casued some issues with where it sits off the manifold. Overall even though I had to change alot to get this all to work Im pretty happy so far with the outcome.

I was able to lower the boost down 2lbs and still get the same 330RWHP and 300 TQ. The big benefit is that this manifold allowed the spool up to start so much sooner that I picked up 40lbs of tq between 2500-4000 RPM! I have yet to get it on the track to see its longevity factor.

This is the best picture I can get of the set up during installation. And now Im working on the new intake pipe which was made from a "donut".

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I still see huge gaps between the rad and the rad support. I would seal those up for sure, then still shroud in the inter-cooler also. The end tanks on that inter-cooler will cause the air to stall there, and/or go everywhere but through the cores.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer