ace028's 72 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
ace028

ace028's 72 2 door

Post by ace028 »

Hi, I introduced my self in the introduction thread but quick background, use to have a 710 but ended up selling it, but it was fun. I worked at a nissan dealer for a while, then got recruited to work for Mercedes Benz, then I decided I wanted to try something different so I joined the Army, and let me tell you I miss wrenching, and my tools are very lonely and need love so its about time I get a project, but I am about to get deployed so the project will be waiting for me when I get home. ( just bought a new (to me) home with garage, so perfect place to finially start) Got tired of paying rent lol.

I have been wanting a 510 for over 10 years now, and while looking through craigslist I stumbled across this 71 shell for $1000. I really didn't have the money for one at this time, I didn't think I would find one for a while that was less then 2k and wasn't rusted out, so while i'm not sure if $1000 was too much for it, I couldn't pass up a opportunity to buy a solid car with virtually no rust as it originally came from Oregon. Since the car was 3 hours away, I didn't want to go all that way and not be able to buy it if it was infact a half way decent car, so I managed to scrounge up the funds I didn't really have (still recouping from Christmas lol) and talked to the guy and we worked it out. I didn't bother to haggle price since he would be towing it to my house, and it would be cheaper for him to do that then for me to tow it. He will be delivering it by Wednesday, so hopefully everything goes ok, and i don't get screwed, I used paypal for the majority of the payment so some protection there. I just had to post so you can see my project, and I am finally a 510 owner!

Now he is said he would give me the extra door he has, as well as 2 dash frames and one with a vin. Not sure if that is something of value or not. The car supposedly has zx brakes in the front. I noticed it is missing the rear drum on pass side, and there are some broken studs. He also told me that the car had fiberglass fenders and hood, and he traded those off to get the steel ones, but the bolts are missing so thats why the door is off and the fenders are just sitting there. It has all the glass except for the driver door. It does have the front valance but not installed, but its fiberglass. So as you can see from the pics the car is missing quite a bit of stuff, like trim, and seats and bumpers. But from what I can tell there is hardly any rust except one spot on the front lower part of the front window. I didn't really see any dents in the car except a few below the doors. The car has been hit on the pass side and repaired, when I looked it didn't look like a very good job had been done, but I will get it properly repaired, or learn to do it my self. I only saw minor surface rust except one spot by window, I will post more and better pics when I get it in my garage.

CL and text photos

Photos when I went to see it. Thats not me in the pic btw, accedently got him in the pic. opps lol. Thats my pathfinder LE in the back ground BTW (love it!)

So hopefully this will be in my garage by wednesday.

Plans for the car

Will be used occasionally during the week as a DD, but not everyday
Can take to autocross/gymkahana
Basicly a steet car that I can just have a blast in like all you other datsun guys do, and go to meets and have more fun.

SR20DET blacktop w/ 6 speed trans
Willwood or brembo big brakes all 4
Coilover suspension and camber plate setup
Tilton style brake setup (reverse mount master/clutch cyl) maybe.
Too many other things to list that I want to do. It will be similar to most of the other awesome sr20 swaps you guys have done that I have seen on this forum.

I know just the first 3 things I listed are expensice, so this will be a build as I have money slow build, and I am about to deploy so it will be waiting for me when I get back, and while I am gone hopefully I can pay off some bills, and buy some stuff online to be shipped home so I have parts to start working on when I get back. Feel free to offer advise, and any recommendations of venders products or if you know something will work better throughout the build.
Last edited by ace028 on 29 Jan 2011 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: ace028's 71 2 door

Post by okayfine »

That crash repair looks nasty. Rest of the pictures look alright. Driver's door is gonig to take some work.

My concern is that you want to attempt to build a high-end 510 with little cash over time. It can be done, but the typical result is either the project goes on for 20 years and no running car results from it, or you spend some thousands on parts and get to a point you're sick of not having a running car (or the wife is sick of not having a running car) or you don't have any more money to drop into the 510 pit.

As you are leaving on deployment, that makes the next bit harder - you might want to consider finding a complete runner when you return, and drive it for a while. Between then and starting in on your ultimate 510 project, you can amass knowledge and parts, all the while driving a 510. Or buy a complete runner to drive while working on the two-door you bought, and after you're done with the two-door you can sell off your runner and likely not lose a dime.

Your situation is complicated by your location, nevermind your deployment. You may be able to buy the high-dollar items like suspension kits or motor sets and have them shipped home, but you won't be able to buy all the little trim bits that you car needs. Unless you get deployed to Eagle Rock, CA, in time for the Feb 20th meet!

I don't want to dash your dreams, but big-time projects need up-front funds, or a very determined owner with a very methodical build plan. See again my How To Plan A Project thread. Also read Goichi's build thread, part of his project occured while he was thousands of miles away from his car.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks for your concern. I haven't had a chance to read your planning writeup, but I will. I understand that this is costly and will take lots of time. I figured this would be my foot in the door so I jumped on it. The repair does look bad, but the rest of the car looked pretty straight, but I do understand that it can get frustrating not having a running car, this is also something I have wanted for 10 years, I only hope it don't end up taking 20 years.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Where there's a will, there's a way. That's often the lesson learned from 510 projects. That and making sure your wife is on board with a long-term project. I'd suggest you will need a good plan to have your 510 project progress, but it won't be impossible to accomplish your goals, merely difficult :) Mostly that's due to your deployment/being away from the car. Pick up some associated skills like welding, if that is possible during your stint in the service. By the time you get out you may just be able to make your own mounts for the SR/trans, instead of buying a kit. The more you can do yourself (right, the first time), the less costly the overall project will be. And, IMO, the more pride you will have in your car that you built.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Got the car delivered today. It turns out its actually a 72, was listed as 71 but its a jan of 72 on door plackard, and title says 72, no big deal. What a project, almost overwhelmed, but I am going to read the how to plan a project thread, and give my self a plan. The repair job is just as it looks in the pics, BAD, but I will prob take it to a shop to have the pros fix that, as I am a mechanic not a body man. I wonder if they can put it on a frame straightener and check to make sure its all good.

I will post more pics of it later, I'm going to the field so will be gone for a week and half. There were some trim stuff just sitting in the car that wasn't attached, so I will sort that out, too bad there are no screws or bolts to the loose stuff.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Got off work early today, leaving tomorrow for a week, but I got a few min to clean it out and see what parts it does have, and take pics.

Ok, here is a whole mess of pics, but this is what I have to work with. Supposed rust was under driver front part of window. Car was covered in snow when I went to look at it, and the inside was full of stuff. Prob should of shopped around more before buying it, but too late for that. I really love the awesome repair to the right front, makes me wonder if people actually drive cars with repairs like that ( I already know they do, its sad) And this car got hit HARD, its hard to tell in the pics but the firewall is pushed back a bit, as you can see the a pillar is kinked and the inner door jamb where the hinges goes is bowed. I'm wondering if this car is worth saving. I think it is, because the back of the car looks really straight, but its going to need alot of work. The floor pans need replacing as there is holes in them, didn't see it at first. I don't really want to do much of anything until I can get the front end and floor pans figured out. What do you guys think? Id really hate to not save it as these guys are getting more rare, and harder to find, and rotting away.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ace028 wrote:the firewall is pushed back a bit, as you can see the a pillar is kinked and the inner door jamb where the hinges goes is bowed. I'm wondering if this car is worth saving. I think it is, because the back of the car looks really straight, but its going to need alot of work.
That's not really a question we can answer. Can it be saved isn't really the question, anyway. Yes, it can be saved. The question really is, can YOU save it?

It will require expertise in body repair, and not just a willingness to learn as you go. With things like the pushed-in firewall and kinked pillar - those are serious issues that need the knowledge and tools from years of doing heavy crash repair.

Again, it can be saved. Can you save it? You don't have the knowledge or tools to save it, so the question then becomes, do you have enough money to save it?

Even supposing you do, is it worth it? You don't have an emotional attachment to this car, and from your posts you seem to currently not have the time or money to start down the path of reconstructing a significant portion of the car.

Starting with a better shell is nothing to be ashamed of, and will absolutely, assuredly save you money in the long run. That is, of course, if you take your time and lessons learned when you go about looking at another car. Either buy from a respected seller here on The Realm, or take an experienced member with you to look at prospective cars. The lunch you may pay for could save you thousands.

In short, it can be saved but you may be wrecked from the (financial) effort. 510s are getting rarer, but they generally aren't worth the kind of investment you're looking at with your current shell. SAVE EVERY GOOD PART from the car you have and find a complete runner. Drive it, figure it out, and go from there.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Is that whole right-front inner fender section held on with puppy farts? :shock:

I'd be interested to know what the seller said about the damage/repair. Anyone reputable would have had a ten minute speech just about that section of metal.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

I am willing to pay to have it repaired properly, but of course it will take time and saving. I will be in a better financial standing one I return from my deployment. I'm fine now, but its not like I can drop 2k out of the blue on a engine and parts, got to save and plan for it. But I agree, it may be better to find a runner that would obviously be more complete. I guess I jumped the gun when I bought it, and I didn't realize it would be covered in snow when I went to look at it, and full of stuff.

Yeah its all held on with puppy farts.

He said a car hopped over the curb and hit it, and it got repaired, later he said he repaired it. I didnt think it was that bad till I brought it home, I knew it was a bad repair job, but I guess I didn't realize the severity of it. He seemed pretty proud of his work, so I didn't want to say uh who the heck repaird this? But prob should have. lol. I guess you can say I was blinded by my love for 510's lol. I guess live and learn.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

PM tycot1 here on The Realm, have him look at your pictures. He's an excellent body guy and knows 510s intimately. He can give you an educated assessment of your car and the approximate cost to fix it.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks, I'll do that now.

Looks like the shifter had wrinkled the tunnel a bit as well.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Tyson (Tycot1) is currently working a blue 4 door for me that looks worse off than that one. He's repairing it now and it looks pretty impressive considering what he had to start with. He'll be documenting the repair (on a budget mind!) a bit later when he's done this weekend. He says I need to pickup the car and clear his floor space on saturday :-)!
Jason
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Jason you got a link to your build? Thanks for some words of encouragement, if you say yours is worse and your getting it fixed, makes me feel better about fixing this one.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

quick question, is there any advantage to have a rack and pinion setup over stock, i know a rack is prob better, but is it worth the hassle, or are there simple swaps for it? From what I can tell it is totally custom. I would like the rack setup, but looks like more of a hassle then its worth, or am I wrong?
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Hi Ace, no link to a build yet, I don't think I've ever done one before! However, we did start a thread on the acquisitions .... More'll come as Tyson finishes as he's been doing all the work and taking all the pictures. Probably this weekend for the updates ...

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16025
Jason