Daily Driven Track/Autocross 4 Door 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
Uber Deaf One

Re: Daily Driven Track/Autocross 4 Door 510

Post by Uber Deaf One »

Ncracing.org by far the cheapest track day group around here. I'll be doing Thunderhill 3/22, maybe Laguna 9/1.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Cool I will keep that in mind. March is out of the question for me as I most likely wont be done with my paint and body work. But Sept is when we were looking.
looking for pass. side arm rest
Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

I completely forgot that the Marina Autocross site is airport concrete... which means extra grip. After looking at the pics in this link I'm pretty happy with the suspension and alignment right now. I'm running 1000 lb rear springs atm, if I was running 1200 lb springs I probably would have ended up in a wall.

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web140125/61/index.html

My buddy with the red Solstice GXP was running street tires and 500 lb front springs, he had no front grip whatsoever under braking. So if you're tuning your spring rate based on how much body roll you have.... not necessarily the correct way of doing things.

If I want better shocks (so I can run better tires like Star Specs), what are my options? I don't need $3500 racing shocks, but I need something better than the KYB AGX I'm running right now. I have these shocks maxed out with the 275 lb springs and street tires I'm running.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's what we found when we used to run on the old Boundry Bay airport...concrete = GRIP.

It was 1945 concrete also, so, it had really open pores, which just ate tires over a season.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

My daily commute is 1.5 miles one way.... no point in driving the 510. It doesn't even get warmed up all the way :\ So I finally got around to getting this thing registered. :)

Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

Ditched the cheap fuel pressure regulator for an AEM unit. Now the AFR is much more steady. 13.1:1 WOT all the way to redline, 14:1 at idle. Works for me.

Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

Track day #3 done. There are a few things that need to be done before the next track day.

The stock fuel tank obviously wasn't designed for this kind of driving, I get fuel starvation every lap in turn 2, as well as coming out of turn 1 sometimes. At Laguna Seca I was getting fuel starvation coming out of turn 2 if I had less than half a tank of fuel. I think it's time for a fuel cell, need to do some research before I make any decisions though. Not sure if I like putting that weight behind the rear axle line, but at least it will be lower than where the stock tank is.

The steering column angle is, well, terrible. I doubt this will happen before the next track day, but this thing needs a full cage and I want to custom mount the steering column... I feel like I'm driving a bus. -_-

I'm an idiot and I left the GoPro on during the lunch break... battery died in session 3 just as it was getting exciting. :( At least I got session 2, it's funny watching me deal with the extra weight of a passenger :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCAgtl5eEtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkry7krxPKs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not sure if this would solve your problem, it eliminated any issue with the Specialty 510's. The stock pickup is on the right side of the tank, so with any hard long'ish corner, the pickup uncovers, on right turns. I too wanted to keep the weight between the rear wheels, keeping the polar moment is good as possible. This well let me run minimal fuel if I wanted to, to keep the weight down.

we drop our steering wheels down about 1", which helps with the angle.

Or, for short events, i have my 2 gallon auxiliary tank, so I can run with zip for weight in the main tank. I have a 6 port RV valve in the trunk, that I can switch from the drivers seat.

Cool Vids!
Attachments
the whole system.JPG
the whole system.JPG (133.06 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
diff catch can.JPG
diff catch can.JPG (118.03 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

I was gonna look around for those exact pics.... lol. Thanks for posting them :) I really like that 2 gallon tank... hmmmmm.

You were able to lower the steering column 1"... is this the stock column? I spaced mine down a bit with washers, if I go any lower something binds (can't remember off the top of my head right now).
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, 1" aluminum spacer block, stock column, no mods. I can't think that anything bound, that would not have been acceptable. A few of us have done this up here.

I can take a picture tomorrow if you like, of the spacers.

Best thing I ever did was my auxiliary tank, it both gave me an additional 2 gallons of fuel for even just regular driving on our trips, almost like a back up reserve. Then, for VERY spirited drives, I used to keep C-16 race gas in there, then, should I run up upon some unsuspecting Porsche or other so called high performance car, I would just switch over to the aux. tank for the major battle that was about to ensue, have the boost up, then administer the coup de grace!

It was great at the hill climbs, as I would pump my main tank empty..weight...then just run up the hill with the 2 gallons, which i knew would get up up there under full throttle, and the cruise back down.

The other little tank is my methanol reserve.
Attachments
battery well.JPG
battery well.JPG (112.5 KiB) Viewed 5025 times

Keith Law
Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

Signed up for another track day at Laguna Seca, June 20th. I have a set of these on the way... finally this car will have decent tires. :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes
Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

I got new rotors for the track pads (the old rotors didn't like swapping between ceramic pads and semi metallic pads) and popped them on this weekend. Discovered these cracks in the track pads.. has me kind of worried. I've only done 3 track days on these pads... not sure if I need to upgrade to XP10s? Def need to get some brake ducts setup. I sent Carbotech an email, we'll see what they say.