71' SR20VE 510: the new daily grind

View and post your 510 project(s)
SyCK

71' SR20VE 510: the new daily grind

Post by SyCK »

Well after 4 years with the GS300 I grew bored of it and decided that I wanted something fun to drive for a daily again. So I promptly listed it around on a few forums and started looking for something. I wasn’t sure what I wanted at that point and was initially looking for a swapped SC300 or a well taken care of and modified 240. I later came across a thread somewhere with some bad ass OG Japanese rides and I then got hooked in the idea of owning one. At one point had a trade worked out for a 72’ Celica coupe in Kentucky but with bad timing and bad weather it didn’t end up working out before the guy had a cash offer for it. After a bit more looking around I happened upon this 1971 4dr from Cali that, in looks, reminded me of the Datsun my parents had when I was growing up. So I contacted the owner and worked out a good deal, put a deposit down on it and had it on the way here a couple weeks later. It finally showed up mid last week and man… this thing smaller than I remember! Being 6’2” 230 it’s a bitch to get in and out of but once you get seated there is plenty of room and it’s actually comfy.

Driving it is a blast and the handling it has is way better than I had expected. It’s also a bit faster than I thought it was going to be and once the VVL kicks in the thing just screams. The crap tune it has is on it is rich as hell but it runs great, I haven’t had a chance to find a place to weight it yet but the guy said it was right around 2000lbs. With some cams, lightweight flywheel and a good tune this thing will be a beast.

Body and panel wise it is very solid, some surface rust here and there but nothing bad. The interior is pretty much stripped aside from the carpet and door panels so driving in the rain is going to be LOUD!

Motor and go stuff

S14 SR20DE block with SR20VE NEO VVL head (11:1)
R&D Factory high capacity oil pan
Custom Danstoy intake manifold, AE111 ITB’s and T3 velocity stacks
One off DGR equal length stainless 4-1 header
Custom DGR aluminum radiator with 12" electric fan
RCI aluminum overflow tank
LS1 coilpacks
2.5" exhaust with stainless Magnaflow muffler
S14 5spd with short shifter
Modified S14 driveshaft
4:38 JDM Subaru LSD
RCI aluminum 10 gallon fuel cell with walbro pump

Electronics

Haltech E6X EMS
Custom S14 wiring harness
Greddy oil pressure and water temp gauge
Pivot 80mm tachometer

Suspension

MADDAT engine mount kit with 1" front swaybar
MADDAT steering box brace
S14 Meagan front coilovers on 280Z spindles
Techno Toy rear coilovers
Techno Toy RCA’s
Techno Toy Camber plates
Techno Toy tension control rods
Cusco strut bar
280Z front disk brakes

Interior

Recaro SRD seats with schroth harnesses
Nardi Deep corn 350mm wheel, ACR (Japan) Steering wheel adaptor and Works Bell quick release hub
New carpet
Odyssey battery/bracket relocated behind passenger seat

I had a couple friends take some pics of it for me Saturday. We were only able to hit 2 spots that day so we’re going to shoot some more soon.

Couple of edited pics

95' M3 GT35R
95' Supra GT42R
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 71' SR20VE 510: the new daily grind

Post by okayfine »

You should seriously consider moving that fuel cell. I hate it when people put the fuel cell in the spare tire well and take no precautions against Enfuego Pinto action.

I have around here somewhere a picture of an accordioned 510 that was rear-ended. Despite all the damage, the stock 510 fuel tank would have been undamaged. I'll try to find it.

Otherwise, I'm glad you're happy with the car and hope you got a good deal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

smash.jpg
smash.jpg (16.55 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
This is it. Move that fuel cell!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Great car, nice pictures. I bet the intake sound is wonderful.
Joshh

Post by Joshh »

okayfine wrote:
smash.jpg
This is it. Move that fuel cell!

god dam... i hope the doesn't happen to me!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Aside from 510 owners spinning their cars off into trees, curbs, and shrubs themselves, I'd figure the rear-ender is the most common 510 wreck. Small car, no CHMSL, modern distracted driver...
smash2.jpg
smash2.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
Datsun got the tank placement perfect and engineered the rear crush zone accordingly (pun? :lol: ).
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

You spelled it wrong- It's accordion-ly! Solid advice.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Barring the discussions about the fuel cell and things of that nature, I'd say the car is perfect and looks like it will be a hell of a lot of fun for you. Welcome to being a 510 gear-head.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, I continued with the pictures as this is in the General Discussion forum, though it reads like the beginning of a Project thread. Perhaps the OP would take his OP and make a new thread in Projects?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

or, if he wants it moved, we can just move it over - so, what do you want Mr. OP?
SyCK

Post by SyCK »

My bad, I figured this is where it went. Feel free to move it :)

I'm probably going to get a new fuel cell and move it further into the cabin area but that is down the line on the list of things to do.
95' M3 GT35R
95' Supra GT42R
510rob

Post by 510rob »

there, moved - not an issue at all. rock on.
Rubhamusan

Post by Rubhamusan »

S15DET wrote:Great car, nice pictures. I bet the intake sound is wonderful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUYdqga ... ata_player
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

In the video, it sounds as though it's cutting out or is that the rev limiter?? nice video though!!
Rubhamusan

Post by Rubhamusan »

The ve is so gangsta with ITB's but that's to much money and not enuff power.unless it was one of those money doesn't matter and I would do same swap except rev it till 10k.but I'm poor so red top it is.