1969 510 Wagon - Green bean.

View and post your 510 project(s)
izzo

Re: 1969 510 Wagon - Green bean.

Post by izzo »

So sometime after my last post I received the "It's me or the car addiction". Dumb move, I chose her. She left anyways after I sold this car.

Here's the replacement.

I wake up with a message from a friend saying there is a goon for sale for 500. Now I was kind of looking for another car, but kind of not having to move soon. But for 500 bucks, it was worth it.

I bought this thing sight unseen except a picture or two, had a buddy run over with the cash and pay for it so I could go and get it. Drove from Kelso WA to north seattle to the meet up at Golden Gardens (2 1/2 hour drive). From there we cruised down to the ferry and headed over to bremerton which was another hour or so. All I brought with me was a set of sockets to a car I have never seen/driven before and unknown problems. A little scary, but an adventure for sure.

We show up, check the oil/water. Good to go. Fire it up, and head over to the gas station. No gas gauge, temp gauge disconnected and wire MIA. Charge light on, wire missing off the alternator. Got some gas, hooked up what wire we thought was missing on the alt (light stayed on), added some oil, adjusted the carb as it dies every time we stop (borg warner auto with shift kit! tired L16 with weber)

Its about a 45 minute drive from Bremerton to my buddies shop in Puyallup. We get a mile down the road and it pukes water everywhere! Pulled over, turned out to be the overflow had filled up and spilled out (pespi bottle haha). Filled it up, put the pedal to the floor and cruised a cool 70 mph! Stopped off at my buddies shop, double checked the oil, water, air in the tires.... And drove it another 3 hours on down to kelso without a single issue.

No interior shots yet, but its very decent and i am pleased with it. Only rust I saw was on the hatch, and driver door. Not much else. Has carpet, that was dry, good looking window with no cracks/fog.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

They're still out there. Nice find!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
izzo

Post by izzo »

Jeez, when you get one more seem to show up :lol: