1969 510 Wagon - Green bean.

View and post your 510 project(s)
izzo

1969 510 Wagon - Green bean.

Post by izzo »

Yeah, i go thru a lot of datsuns. But been working my way up the chain till i get something i want. I love the early dash (full sweep baby!) The controls, and the rear side marker lights. Oh yeah :D

Anyways. Picked this up today. 1969 510 wagon. Its been re-sprayed. Same owner since 1975, Pretty straight. Owner had a new motor put in it in the mid 90s so it has an L18/4 speed. I dont think he ever changed the valve cover gasket, motors nasty but can be cleaned.

Doesn't run, i think it jumped some teeth. No biggy tho, ill fix it up soon.

Only rust is the front bottom fenders (car body is fine, just bubbled fenders), hood has some rust at the tip, and there was one spot in the driver rear wheel lip that got tapped. so ill replace that and fix the rust issue there. Bumpers are so so. Needs carpet/seats something fierce. Valve cover has leaked for years, most built up/nasty thing ive ever seen.. ever,,, ever..... eew :\

Pretty straight, body is rust free (cept what i mentioned) Glass is good, all lights/signals/heater works.

Only plans right now --
Clean engine bay/engine
Get it running
Carpet
Seats
Windshield gasket

can do paint later...

Pics! (ill do more later, been a long crappy day)

okayfine
Supporter

Re: 1969 510 Wagon - Green bean.

Post by okayfine »

Noice!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Nice one Izz!
Jason
izzo

Post by izzo »

Thanks guys!

I really want a 2 door, or 4 door thats in decent condition. Maybe next year tax returns.

As for this goon, i need some parts! Hopefully i can find them at a cheap price lol..
izzo

Post by izzo »

Radio Delete plate, Locking gas cap. Im pretty stoked. I got friday-saturday-sunday off!!!!#@!#@!#@! Going to be working on it between the rain showers lol. I really should finish my 720 4x4, but its hard to work on it with this being at my house :lol:
izzo

Post by izzo »

Story time...

Picked this up from the second owner who purchased it in 1974, the 1974 wa state titles are different. Printed on tractor paper :rofl:

Ken bought it in 1974, and drove it up until last year. In the 90s he had an L18 crate engine put in it. It was original the cream/tan color when he bought it. You can see some damage in his pictures. He had it painted in 1992, man this thing was a real head turner. Hope to get it back there soon. Just have to see what 620kevins schedule looks like.

As of now, the front fenders need replaced, all the interior/seats, rear bumper, windshield seal. Currently not running, acts like it jumped teeth on the timing. I ordered new timing gear, gaskets from napa auto parts, picking them up tomorrow. might get to it this weekend, but well see. Still need to throw my 720 back together!

I already ordered new windshield gasket, bought a matchbox dizzy, and waiting for word from mario about a carpet kit. need to find seats soon! Needs door hinge fixin on the driver door.

I got these pictures from ken, and he wanted me to make sure and let everyone know they are copy written. Credit goes to the previous owner, Ken Layton

Here it is in 1974 when he got it. Notice the fender lights are stock, hoods dented, then look after it was painted...

izzo

Post by izzo »

Here she is current state

could use a new cam cover gasket ,but looks like new starter

ImageImageonly real rip in headliner..bad oic of it thoughImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImagea couple of haynes type manuals and a cd rom about 510`s Image
izzo

Post by izzo »

Car runs like butt, got some more tests to do before i tear it down. I have all the gaskets, timing gear etc to redo this (just not rings, or the tools to get that done right now)

The vent on the valve cover is blowing a decent amount of air out, probably more than usually. I am going to compression test it tomorrow and see what kind of reading i get, then adjust them properly. Was nice to hear it run tho :D

TerryHackman
Supporter

Post by TerryHackman »

It looks like the first five years of its life were pretty rough! Rode hard and put away wet.
izzo

Post by izzo »

Yeah, but then that green paint job. it looked nice. hood/bumpers etc were replaced then. Now its beat down again.

I might be able to borrow a garage for paint this summer. I can do the bodywork outside, then paint in a garage. think it will be fine as long as i wash/rinse the body with mineral spirits or something before i paint... (??)
izzo

Post by izzo »

Checked the valves for clearance. They were all way to tight, i set them to cold specs. still runs like poop. i can hear it backfire out the tail pipe now and then. not sure whats going on yet, i did notice the rad was low.

buying a compression checker tomorrow after grandma picks a few of my kids for church, then ill check compression and go from there. I will need to drop the oil pan and timing cover really soon, the chain guides are toast... no rubber left, just metal lol
izzo

Post by izzo »

Compression test results

1. 25
2. 140
3. 142
4. 50
izzo

Post by izzo »

added some oil to #1 and #4 pistons. cyl one gained 5psi, cyl for was 7-8psi gain..
izzo

Post by izzo »

F' it on a bucket..

Have new rings/main & rod bearings in the mail. Already have new timing gear and gaskets. Buddy is bringing over a cherry picker this weekend. Ordering a new clutch.

Motors getting rebuilt. hopefully that will get me by for a while, car is eating up all my funds..
izzo

Post by izzo »

Got all my parts, now just need to get on it. Hooray!

Been working on my 86 720 KC 4x4 in the mean time till i can get a cherry picker for the wagon. Trucks now a runner, just got to button up a few loose ends and get it titled/tabbed