My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

View and post your 510 project(s)
Dave Patten
Supporter

Re: My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

Post by Dave Patten »

Rich,
Can you snap a few pics of the Honda center console? I've heard they can be swapped into a 510.

Any thoughts on the possibility of it actually working?
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, I can do that today when I get back home, but this is an automatic, it's a really small console, I'm sure it would work, it sits on top of the tunnel, it doesn't wrap down the sides...more to come. I also know there are two in the Junk yard too that I got the door seals, steering wheel and the heater controls (switch broke off). Mine were torn up pretty good.....paid $20.00 for it all. I had to remove the seats to shampoo the carpet. I might go get the rear window too since I destroyed the rear defroster.....but only if it's cheap......
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Dave Patten wrote:Rich,
Can you snap a few pics of the Honda center console? I've heard they can be swapped into a 510.

Any thoughts on the possibility of it actually working?
Dave,

There are pics of a Honda Civic center console in a 510 located in this thread on Ratsun

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39858 ... ntry626301
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Here's a few, this is a 94 automatic, the 5 speed is a little different I think....
Attachments
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG (80.29 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
IMG_2013.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG (73.97 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Rich,
Thanks for the pics. My wife had a ’95 Civic and I remembered the console being fairly narrow which is good for a 510.

I had seen one on eBay for a 92-95 5 speed Hatchback in Black, that is why I asked, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I’ll see how it works out on my 510 streetcar project.
Attachments
92-95 Civic Hatchback Center Console.jpg
92-95 Civic Hatchback Center Console.jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

This is a good idea, I may look at this on my wagon automatic project, I can just use the forward piece and hide the end under the bench seat.
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Looks to me like the standing-up, rear part of this Civic console has a slot for the handbrake. Not needed, of course, on our 510s. In fact I think it would look kind of odd, having that slot. Or am I missing something here?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

you could install an E-brake handle there if you wanted. There have been many E-brake handles put on the tranny tunnel. In my wagon I wouldn't be using that part anyway as I am going with a bench seat.
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Interesting. I've always enjoyed the quirky handbrake location on the 510, including the fact that it keeps that area between the seats clear of stuff (unless, as you say, the car has a front bench).

Anyway, now I'm curious about why folks would prefer an e-brake on the tranny tunnel. What are the advantages?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I'm not sure about the pro's and con's, but most folks that want to move it to the middle have some liking to drifting I guess. Or just to make it more modern?? I like mine at the stock location too.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

SteveEdmonton wrote: Anyway, now I'm curious about why folks would prefer an e-brake on the tranny tunnel. What are the advantages?
For big guys like me - I hit the damn thing with my leg, especially if it's on when getting in!

From a driving point of view, having an easily accessible hand brake properly working and easily pulled and released can be an emergency life saver in a really bad moment! In this case it's just another driving tool.

However not having it under the dash saves my knees.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Byron510 wrote:
SteveEdmonton wrote: Anyway, now I'm curious about why folks would prefer an e-brake on the tranny tunnel. What are the advantages?
For big guys like me - I hit the damn thing with my leg, especially if it's on when getting in!
I've had that happen a few times on a hill in the dark ...... :shock: ... ... . last time I try to sleep on a hill ..... :lol:
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

picked up these today at Harbor Freight in Everett, also stopped by for a quick chat with Jeff and Frank, then got home a little late, threw some rusty nuts and bolts in it with some glass bead from my blast cabinet and turned it on for about 5 minutes, it didn't look like it did much to them....maybe need to leave them in there a lot longer!!!
Attachments
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG (92.14 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG (93.25 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Now, i know what most are saying, I've even said it too, this Chinese shit is usually crap, but if its works for a little while I'll be happy as it was cheap. the reciprocating air saw was $20.00!!! and the tumbler was about $50.00 so not so bad if it works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

I put a little water and soap (just a drop or two) in with the ceramic abrasives, really makes it work, but it does take hours.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal