Topher, SR 72

View and post your 510 project(s)
topher88

Topher, SR 72

Post by topher88 »

Little back ground with the car. Picked it u a little over a year ago with not to much knowledge of what i was going to do with it. I had purchased a project 510 with a SR20DE (green one in the first pic) that after playing with it for a month i figure was too much of a project for me to tackle

so i decided to pic up this running L20b 510

for the next few month i slowly started gathering parts to make the car my own. i pieced together all the parts to do the 280zx conversion and since i was running 13's i had to source a new set of wheels

after getting the suspension and steering bits all fixed up i drove the car for a months taking it to meets and shows and loved every moment of it.

The motor was never something i wanted to keep and was toying with the idea of re building it or going big and doing an SR20det swap. I have always had a passion for performance cars but now that i had a steady job i knew it was the time to step up and do something that i knew i would love so when a deal came up for a full SR 510 swap i jumped on it and started the long journey of parts

at first i was planning on simply getting the motor in the car and get it running as quick as possible but after a little time to think about it i decided to do it once and do it right. I wanted a properly built motor that i could beat on and not worry to much about messing things up. i picked up a big turbo

Forged pistons

Cams

metal hg

pulleys

After i got enough parts to put the motor together i decide it was time to pull the old motor

once the motor was out i puled the rear end apart and replaced all the rubber with poly along with adding a little stronger rear R200 CLDS and got everything painted and undercoated then everything went back in along with some 240sx rear disk brakes

Got some better breaks

Picked up some other goodies

now the car is at the point that it is today. waiting on a buddy that dose fab/ body work and hes gona help me with some odds and ends that im not comfortable doing on my own.

got the motor bored and decked and everything checked out good. now im waiting on is a flywheel and a timing chain guide to get the motor back together and balanced

im on ratsun alot more but ill be sure to update this when i can
Last edited by topher88 on 30 Jul 2012 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
topher88

Re: Topher, SR 72

Post by topher88 »

[Motor: check

Image[/quote]

New look

Goodies
Image[/quote]

As we were mounting up the trans we relized that one of the guid pins were broke off in the trans so we got that out

After that we were ready to get it in the car

Then once the motor was in cut the tunnel

And beautiful!

Image[/quote]
Last edited by topher88 on 30 Jul 2012 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
doughboi916

Post by doughboi916 »

NICE!! What diff is that??
topher88

Post by topher88 »

its an r200 3.9 open dif but i think i just found a 411 lsd im gona get soon
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Topher, What sound do you hear when you hold a big ass turbo to your ear? :lol: I'm just finishing up a big boost SR swap. I got tons of help from folk here on the Realm along the way. Your definitely in good company here. mean while, how about some details, What ECU are you using? Have you considered e85 vs race fuel, will this be a track car? Also, if you add your location to your profile there may be local help right round the corner.

Welcome.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

What happened to the wheels in the pics at the top? What are they, old, or new replicas?
dp61

Post by dp61 »

And the new tires and wheels, what are the specs, sizes, offset on them? Are they the new 92's that are available now in 15x8?
topher88

Post by topher88 »

Tunnel covered up

And no more flinstone flore pans :)

Image[/quote]

rear floor pans fixed

and fuel cell mounted

Got the 240sx rear brakes on (now i need to make some custom lines)

welded up the strut towers front and back

pretty sure this is where the adjustable proportioning valve is going to go

back seat is gone

Most of the holes are shaved and bay is stitch welded and primer should be going on tomorrow then paint shortly after

topher88

Post by topher88 »

RonM wrote:Hey Topher, What sound do you hear when you hold a big ass turbo to your ear? :lol: I'm just finishing up a big boost SR swap. I got tons of help from folk here on the Realm along the way. Your definitely in good company here. mean while, how about some details, What ECU are you using? Have you considered e85 vs race fuel, will this be a track car? Also, if you add your location to your profile there may be local help right round the corner.

Welcome.
i went to Emance out of San Diego. a few of my buddys have gone there and only had good things to say about him. ill let you know how it went when the motor is running.

planning on running pump gas with 810cc injectors.

its going to be a fun weekend/ track car so i can get some track time under my belt.
topher88

Post by topher88 »

dp61 wrote:And the new tires and wheels, what are the specs, sizes, offset on them? Are they the new 92's that are available now in 15x8?
my wheels were the OG 92's 15x7 +0 just sold them
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm not sold on the positioning of your fuel cell, nor the mounting. The trunk area of a 510 was designed as a crush zone, and one little bolt per corner is not going to do you any favors should the worst happen.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
topher88

Post by topher88 »

Ya I have thought about when I get my role cage done to make a cage around the fuel cell to help protect it.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Looks like it could easily be moved forward to the back of the rear seat panel. The closer to the center of the car, the better.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Topher,

Dude It looks like you're doing a great job on the fab work, and you've got some seriously nice components there. That Black intake looks sick! If you haven't ordered your fuel line fittings already, check out Aeromotive. They make black fittings that would really go well with your set up. Check out my build thread to see what they look like. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15379&start=495

Does your fuel call have an internal bladder? if so, it's designed to withstand being crushed without releasing the fuel. that's not to say you'd want to put it in harms way, but at least you'll have that added bit of insurance.

What kind of HP are you looking to maker? If those 810cc injectors are any indication it would seem you're shooting for some serious numbers. BTW, I've never seen an inter cooler like that before. I don't see cooling fins on it what's the story?
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
topher88

Post by topher88 »

RonM wrote:
Does your fuel call have an internal bladder? if so, it's designed to withstand being crushed without releasing the fuel. that's not to say you'd want to put it in harms way, but at least you'll have that added bit of insurance.

What kind of HP are you looking to maker? If those 810cc injectors are any indication it would seem you're shooting for some serious numbers. BTW, I've never seen an inter cooler like that before. I don't see cooling fins on it what's the story?
It's just a normal fuel cell with the foam on the inside.

I'm looking to get high 300's to 400ish ttw. It's an old school greddy core. I got it from a guy in ocean side that had it in a SR 510 along with the rad