'69 510 - Lysholm Twin-Screw Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
VelvetHammer
Supporter

'69 510 - Lysholm Twin-Screw Project

Post by VelvetHammer »

Well, after checking out the project build two_68_510s is working on, I'm inspired to start a thread about my own supercharging saga.

It started about 10 years ago after I finished restoring my car. In it's finished form it was a 1969 with a 2.2L, Electromotive EFI, 40mm individual throttle bodies, coil overs, slotted cross member, 4:11 LSD, 240sx 5 speed, Comp header and Borla exhaust.

I was pretty happy with the result. It dyno'd at 135hp/ 138 torque at the rear wheels @ 13.5 AFR. The EFI/ throttle bodies/ 4:11 created fantastic throttle response and torque in 2nd and 3rd gear, and sounded amazing.
I beat the holy hell out of that engine, including one glorious day at Thunderhill before a Mount Shasta event, and it lasted about 15k miles before I discovered that I had a head gasket coolant leak. Once I cracked the engine open I also found it had a massive amounts of carbon deposits, probably from running rich by taking so long to learn how to tune the EFI system correctly.

Now that the engine was apart, and I had some project cash, I decided it was time to make it bulletproof for some forced induction.
I felt a "sleeper" needed an engine with a little more "wow" factor when you popped the hood, and I was tired of all the SR guys asking me, "Why not a SR??"
The answer to that is because I'm an idiot, and I don't do things that make sense. For some ungodly reason I like the L-Series engine, and the only way for it to make power is to stuff it full of air/ fuel.

So for years as the car sat I researched "Turbo vs. Supercharging" and made my brain spin with all the informed and incredibly uninformed opinions that the global interwebs has to offer.
But finally the decision came down to this: I have never seen supercharged 510. Actually let me re-phrase that. I have never seen a running supercharged 510. I've seen pictures of custom intake manifolds, mounts, pulleys, etc., but never video of one actually working. PLENTY of turbo setups, but no SC.

After I decided "Supercharging", I spent another year researching Twin-Screw vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal. For a number of reasons I went with twin-screw, and none of which I care to debate..

With my decision finally made I did my best to build a bulletproof engine: Torque-plated clean up, ARP stud kit, Carrillo rods, forged pistons, o-ringed block, copper gasket, Rebello flowed head (probably not necessary with FI, but what the hell), 8.5:1 compression, angry secret-sauce Rebello cam, etc, etc.

In the spirit of "When in Rome" I also completely took apart the interior of the car to fix a few things I didn't like about my original dashboard restoration (more on that later).

All of this became overwhelming (my once perfect car was in pieces again) and I was suddenly out of time and patience for all the fabrication that was no doubt waiting for me, and it was then I realized why I have never seen a completed supercharging project. It sure ain't easy.

SO after 5 years of sitting and collecting dust, and slowly disintegrating before my eyes, I am finally polishing the dime back up and getting ready to finish this thing.

I'm trying my best to avoid my normal hyper anal-retentive methods, and just get the f'ing car running again.

Phase One: Get the f'ing car running NA, finish dash/ interior
Phase Two: SC fabrication/ installation/ tuning
Phase Three: Patch, paint and polish
Phase Four: Twin-charging???

The new engine has been un-bagged and is now in the car and the battery has been relocated to the truck (to make room for the future SC).
Last thing I did was start to put the EFI system back together, and contemplate moving the alternator to the opposite side of the motor (also to make room for the future SC)

...more to come.
510rob

Re: '69 510 - Lysholm Twin-Screw Project

Post by 510rob »

interesting project. me likey.

do you have any conceptualization of what you will construct for a blower-to-engine mount?

even before that, which Lysholm blower are you going to use or did you settle on?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Very sweet project. I too am interested in SC. Keep the updates coming.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Just found this, ignore my other question!

Great stuff, looking forward to your solutions.

Cool project, I like it when we push the envelope!!
Those are definitely good looking turbo/SC pistons, did you have that machining done on the tops?
(BTW those rods make me very jealous!!)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

The ultimate sleeper, I loved this car from the first time I saw it at Shasta. From the prefect choice in color to the tweed covered seats, the super clean interior and the fantastic L series, a very nicely done car. Some pictures from Shasta 2001. The car has to be seen in person, you will probably say what I said, WOW.
Enjoy the Ride!

Last edited by 510wizard on 19 Nov 2011 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

WOW indeed!, what a great execution! It is a REAL sleeper! (the great stance gives it away a little, but who would know?)
Thanks for the photos.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Very nice car!! That is exactly how I want the wagon to look, right down to the black vinyl roof!! I love the interior too, I was planning to have my seats done in fabric to match the stock color and stitching, wasn't sure how it would look, but now seeing it.....it's freaking nice!! Seeing this car now makes me want to tear my car apart and do the entire shell.....very nice car!!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510wizard wrote:The ultimate sleeper, I loved this car from the first time I saw it at Shasta. From the prefect choice in color to the tweed covered seats, the super clean interior and the fantastic L series, a very nicely done car.
Well said, so I won't say it again. This car is also why I looked at adapting the 13" bullseye caps to 14" steelies.

I'm sure you'll execute the new project with the same polish of the original.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
70bird

Post by 70bird »

I absolutely love the interior especially the seats! Beautiful car!!
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

510rob wrote:interesting project. me likey.

do you have any conceptualization of what you will construct for a blower-to-engine mount?

even before that, which Lysholm blower are you going to use or did you settle on?
I'm using an Autorotor blower, it looks similar to this one (random image pulled from web):

It's been so long I can't remember it's exact displacement (don't worry i'll figure it out soon enough), but I vaguely remember it's around 2.1L??
The reason it's so big is because the original goal was to produce 350 rwhp. Yeah, L-series engine, crazy, I know, I know. I'll probably shoot for 200rwhp and go from there.

The blower to engine mount is what has been vexing my for all these years. I have essentially zero fabrication skills, plenty of design ideas, but no real way to execute. That said, it's time to man up and give it a go.

I finally bought a second 2.2L block (who knows how long this new one will last..) and now that's it's on an engine stand I'll use it as my fabrication mule. It feels like the blower weighs about 20 lbs! So whatever I construct will need to be tremendously rugged.

It'll be on the passenger side of the engine compartment, and it needs to completely "roll" with the engine, so it can't be mounted to the engine compartment in any way.
There's not a lot of attachment points on that side of the block...
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

two_68_510s wrote:Just found this, ignore my other question!

Great stuff, looking forward to your solutions.

Cool project, I like it when we push the envelope!!
Those are definitely good looking turbo/SC pistons, did you have that machining done on the tops?
(BTW those rods make me very jealous!!)
Yes, Troy Ermish built this engine for me so he figured it all out. I wanted a "safe" compression, but since I had the engine built I've seen a lot of talk in the forced induction community about running higher and higher compression ratios. It seems totally counter intuitive, but with good EFI tuning or adding methanol or water injection it seems people are doing it a lot to great success.

Here's an interesting thread
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/t ... index.html
Last edited by VelvetHammer on 19 Nov 2011 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

[quote="510wizard"]The ultimate sleeper, I loved this car from the first time I saw it at Shasta. From the prefect choice in color to the tweed covered seats, the super clean interior and the fantastic L series, a very nicely done car. Some pictures from Shasta 2001. The car has to be seen in person, you will probably say what I said, WOW.
Enjoy the Ride!"

Thanks for sharing some pics! It's crazy that I don't have any photos of the interior of my own car. Would it be possible for you to email me some high-res versions of these?? I'll PM my email address.

I'm in the process of totally revamping the dash. It took me 10 years but I finally found all the trim pieces with ALL the chrome lines intact, and I got another 69 dash that didn't have the radio cut out of it, and I bought a NOS OEM radio. I'm looking forward to piecing it all back together!
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

Last week's adventure: Wolf Creek Racing CV kit install. It turns out my dad used to do some safety wiring back in his Navy days. I hope I never have to take them off, what a pain in the butt!

Pre safety wire:

I'll post some detail photos of the wire work for posterity later.
Last edited by VelvetHammer on 19 Nov 2011 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

VelvetHammer wrote:
510wizard wrote:The ultimate sleeper, I loved this car from the first time I saw it at Shasta. From the prefect choice in color to the tweed covered seats, the super clean interior and the fantastic L series, a very nicely done car. Some pictures from Shasta 2001. The car has to be seen in person, you will probably say what I said, WOW.
Enjoy the Ride!"

Thanks for sharing some pics! It's crazy that I don't have any photos of the interior of my own car. Would it be possible for you to email me some high-res versions of these?? I'll PM my email address.

I'm in the process of totally revamping the dash. It took me 10 years but I finally found all the trim pieces with ALL the chrome lines intact, and I got another 69 dash that didn't have the radio cut out of it, and I bought a NOS OEM radio. I'm looking forward to piecing it all back together!

I think that I also have some more too, I will look and send what I have your way. If I remember right your dad and you built the car together? Again very nice!
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

510wizard wrote:
VelvetHammer wrote:
510wizard wrote:... If I remember right your dad and you built the car together? Again very nice!
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, it was a father/ son adventure. Actually my dad is the guy in the blue hat in one of the shots.