To recap this thread a bit: I finished a full restoration in 2001 (oh man was the car shiny) and had put in a EFI 2.2L L-series motor that was pretty street friendly. It gave me about 10,000 miles of fun before it started having some timing issues, then a few thousand more and the head gasket decided to get funky. I blame my own bad tuning of the EFI in shortening it's life, that, and flogging the life out of the motor in the canyons. I pulled that engine in 2008?
It took a few years to save up but I finally had Ermish build another 2.2 motor for me, this time built for supercharging. But this effort was short lived when I ran out of project cash for all of the punch list items necessary to make that happen, and the car sat for another few years as I got distracted in buying and fixing up a '68 510 race car. The race car engine blew well before I was ready and now I had two 510s sitting around and it was easier to ignore the projects than it was to face them. At some point I sold the race car (4-5 years ago?) and finally started to focus back on the car that matters most to me.
The sale of the race car got me back it the game a bit as I had some money to buy parts. Since I abandoned the supercharged engine I decided to build an NA motor and just get the car running. My dad and I built that one with the kind advice of many folks and a few great vendors.
Just when we got everything installed and hooked back up, we tried to start the car, and my 15 year old Electromotive EFI system decided to up and die. I got about 10 labored revolutions for the motor then, nothing. It was pure joy followed by total sorrow. So I let the the car sit in defeat for another few years while I saved up for another EFI system.
I don't have a wife or kids or a house and if I did that purchase would have ended that, this time I went for the top shelf and got a Motec M130 with GPR software and a PDM15 (power distribution module), along a few other goodies.
As you may have noticed from some of my other threads, I've been doing house cleaning on a bunch a topics I've been avoiding (wheel speed, tires, tucked wiring, etc). I've stopped putting deadlines on when this car is getting running again, but I've got some new energy and I'm starting to make head way once again, one wrench turn at a time.
More to come.