Gordy's ecotec 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
Sleepys-14

Re: Gordy's ecotec 510

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Well, I got to work at making the subframe and trans mount. I wanted to retain as much factory parts, so I could change engine setup or swap between the steering box and steering rack if need be. I took the mounts I had previously made for the Ka and LS1 off, and made some for the LE5. Here is what I came up with...

I then had them sand blasted and powder coated along with the strut tubes.

I then really got busy on the suspension and got all of the parts I needed to put the rest of the suspension on the car. I had a couple long talks with Koni and Ground control to put together a setup that works for my setup. I was really nice talking to them about suspension setups in general, they were very helpful and knew what they were talking about. Got my brakes and wheel bearing all put together at the same time. So I assembled everything and installed them.

Really cool double adjustable caster on these camber plates

Started assembling the fronts.

Got my control arms and tension rods bolted in.

Assembled with bump steer spacers.

I then went to the back of the car and installed the rear subframe and diff. Bolted the coilovers in at the same time also.

I put the clutch(exedy stage 2) and flywheel together and tossed it on the engine. Then the engine went in for the final time after I got the steering column mounted. The steering column is a used nascar collapsible shaft with an adjustable roll cage mount, so you can pretty much mount it where ever you want. Pretty sweet.

I also got my adjustable rear swaybar and front poly blocks.

Thats it for right now, but more to come.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Man that was a hell of a run! That is a cool steering column mount.
Looks good
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have to admit, I am liking those rear Koni coil-overs.
Are they adjustable for both compression and rebound?

When you get it sitting on it's wheels, and sitting at ride height, can you let us know how much bump/droop you have at a particular cross member installed height? I'd really appreciate it, and maybe some part numbers and costs on that Coil over set up :D

Thanks, watching with great interest.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

The car looks like it is really coming together!
It looks like you have enlarged the hole on the top of the strut towers to improve adjustment clearance for the camber plates.
Care to enlighten us on how this was done? It looks very well done. Did you weld in thicker material as well or ??

Also, where did you purchase the K-sport E-brake?
TIA
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
miguel sss

Post by miguel sss »

Hello!

Your project is very good .... I wanted you to help me with a measure ... wanted to know about measuring the shock front, open and closed and the measures the yellow part ....

This koni shock you placed, is shorter than the shock of origin for the 510?

Thank you and come more news :wink:
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Sleepy,
Holy sheep dip man, you have been working. Dude That cross member is a serious piece of work. Very nicely done! I'd like to second that request for info on the coil overs. It's interesting to see this kind of outside the box project and you're unique solutions. Please keep the posts coming.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Byron- The shocks are just rebound adjustable. They valved the shocks for the weight and spring rates of my car. Everything for the rear coils came out to be $525. Not to bad, still expensive but they should be better than your average bear. Once I get them on the ground I will get some measurements for you.

Kayakdude- I had some plates laser cut for my upper mounts, I wanted a little more adjustment, but I hate those bolt in strut tops. I placed the piece under the strut tower and welded them from the top, so there is no chance of the plates breaking loose, not that they ever would. The e-brake I bought used from a guy, I am actually selling it right now if you want to pm me about it.

Miguel- The only measurement that I took was of the front strut body length. 13"

Ronm- Thanks, You should talk to Jay at ground control ( emailing him is way faster). He is their "datsun" guy. He really helped me a lot. I was about to get some mr2 inserts before I talked to him... Basically the only reason people use them, is because they fit, not because they are right. He said the valving on the koni's is made for the 510 specifically (not mr2 ect.), from ground control's specs. Im not saying that they are going to be perfect or anything, but I am going to guess that they should work better than something that was designed for another car.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

I was able to put it down on the wheels and roll it outside to sweep the garage! Still got a ton to do, but im working on it pretty steadily now. With 3 days a week, I think this will be done by june/july????? I hope.

I also got to ride my bike a bit, while it was warm out. Time to put it on craigslist so I can focus on my 510.

Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Ill install my axles this week once I do some more fab work. I need to really get the steering column done so I can steer this thing.

StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Looks great. WCR cv axles? Troy Ermish? The right side looks shorter than the left. Custom length or optical illusion? Are your cad-plated cv bolts allen or hex head? Are you going to safety-wire them? I used safety wire and loc-tite and nord-lock washers. Then found out my axles were about 1" too long. DOH!!! So I took it all apart and haven't yet had custom new shorter axles cut. Sigh.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

They are troy ermish axles. The boots are squished on one of the axles, so the shaft looks shorter... Not to worry. Not even sure about the bolts yet. Once I get to putting them on, then I will take some pics.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I used blue Loctite and still had the bolts come loose.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote:I used blue Loctite and still had the bolts come loose.
Julian, what axles do you have? Blue LT is what Tory Ermish recommends for his setup and it seems to do the trick. I've heard from the guys at Rebello that WCR axles sometimes have trouble with bolts backing out even with loctite and require safety wire. Regardless it's always a good idea to check them on a regular basis.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Sweet XS man!
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
qship510

Post by qship510 »

I made my own CV axles and had the same problem with the bolts coming loose. I don't think it matters which vendor, I solved my problem by buying the proper Snap On socket for VW CV bolts. Just wasn't getting them tight enough with an allen wrench.

However, I safety wired that set for good measure, and would recommend the same for others.