Gordy's ecotec 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
Sleepys-14

Re: Gordy's ecotec 510

Postby Sleepys-14 » 10 Jan 2012 06:54

Byron- I think I ordered them directly from you. I might have just misplaced them over the last few months of working on my car, so im not worried about it at all. I'm still very happy with them, and in no way blaming you. If I had to guess, I had them and lost them.

Rnorrish- I decided not to move the mounting points up a half an inch, but instead move the subframe and mustache bar up a half an inch. That way the axles will be at a better angle and the suspension will also be improved. 2 for 1
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson

RonM
Supporter

Postby RonM » 10 Jan 2012 07:34

What did you do to move the "subframe" (or X-member as some call it) up 1/2"? Do you have picture of that :?:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 10 Jan 2012 23:02

Sleepys-14 wrote:Byron- I think I ordered them directly from you. I might have just misplaced them over the last few months of working on my car, so im not worried about it at all. I'm still very happy with them, and in no way blaming you. If I had to guess, I had them and lost them.

Eh Gordon, I was actually wanting to send you a set of spacers if you wanted, just to make it right - contact me if you wish, regardles I would like to get you the right bits, unless unless you feel that your good to go. :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 11 Jan 2012 07:32

Byron- Thanks for wanting to make it right, but this works perfectly fine. No worries at all. Thanks again

RonM- I didn't take any before and after pics, but I will make sure to take some pics when I install the rear suspension. I am just basically cutting a 1/2" of the poly bushing/inner sleeve off the top of the mustache bar mounts and also doing the same to the subframe mounts, so it just raises it up about 1/2". Nothing crazy here, but I figured that it is beneficial to raise the diff and the suspension up, and at this point any little bit will help.

indy510

Postby indy510 » 11 Jan 2012 08:49

You might want to check for clearance issues if you plan on having this car LOW ..... . . my 4dr's U-joints hit the body, after I "notched" the body for more rear control arm travel

with the shortest rear coilovers availible, the rear control arms will not hit the body,, because the shocks bottom out first .... and at that point the tires are rubbing anyways

raising the X-member 1/2" along with Byrons brackets will "probably" be fine,,, if the car isn't really low ...... just check your outer U-joint clearance and Rear trailing arm clearance

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 11 Jan 2012 10:31

Thanks for the insight, I will be sure to check that out when I install the rear end ( hopefully very soon ). I'm not planning on having the car lay on the ground, but I want it as low as possible with out going past the usable suspension operation and axle angle. Basically tucking tire, not tucking wheel. I used to have a 240sx and I was spoiled with how low you can get without really doing much else. Some hammering and notching, but all very easy. I had 18x10's with 265/35r18's and I still could get a bigger wheel under there, and it was tucking wheel. Spoiled... I am just planning on running 15x7 with a 225/45r15 on the 510.

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 18 Jan 2012 19:28

I decided to put the engine and trans together and give it a go. I picked the coldest day of the winter so far and with no heat ( ran out of propane). It is 8 degrees out in the garage and it is supposed to be -6 tomorrow night (-25 wind chill). Brrrrrr. But I did actually get some stuff done. I got the engine in the bay... and for the most part it fits pretty good. It is kind of a tall and slanted motor so it looks a bit wierd, but I am just happy it is all aluminum and pretty light (300lbs w/o trans and 170hp). Here are some pics...

This is where the stock oil cooler is kind of in a bad spot. The coolant hose is running directly in to the firewall. I will have to cut it off and weld a 90 degree elbow on it to get it to work. That is really the only fitment issue.

Here is the shifter location. I had the hole cut for my ls1 swap from before. I still need to cut it back couple of inches.

RonM
Supporter

Postby RonM » 18 Jan 2012 20:18

Is that the actual mounted location, or just a rough mockup? At that hight and angle it looks like you may have trouble getting the hood on,
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 18 Jan 2012 20:28

It is a rough mockup as of tonight. My feet froze to the ground, so I had to come in the house and get some warm soup. That was the end of my night, nice and warm... MMMM. So, I was planning to get the front subframe under it tomorrow, but it is going to be so damn cold I might just take the night off. I really want to get the motor mounts and trans mount done this weekend though.

And about the pics, the back of the trans needs to go up about 2-3 inches, so that is why the engine doesn't look level.

defdes
Supporter

Postby defdes » 19 Jan 2012 03:35

What does the motor set look like w/out that big plastic cover, is it necessary?

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 19 Jan 2012 06:22

I will have to grab some pics this weekend of the motor without the cover. It is not necessary, but I think it looks better with it on. Kind of a personal thing... I might use the cover, I might not. Although the steering rack look like it is going to be a tight fit. I might have to modify the oil pan a bit.

RonM
Supporter

Postby RonM » 19 Jan 2012 09:28

I can only imagine what working on a car in -6 would be like. I think I would take the whole winter off. :shock: Mad respect for your level of commitment.

goichi1
Supporter

Postby goichi1 » 19 Jan 2012 10:11

you should get a heater in there, I used a kerosene heater last back before I insulated my garage, it worked great, but it still wasn't as cold here as your place....back then I tried a few different type heaters that were on the cheap side, the kerosene worked best but the fuel is costly. A nice gas internal type heater would be best but they are a little more expensive....but no open flame to worry about. Get some heat in there and then you can really enjoy staying out there!!

Sleepys-14

Postby Sleepys-14 » 19 Jan 2012 10:50

Yeah, I hear ya. Dettached garages real suck the heat right out of anything. Even with the heater, it wil cool down with in 15 mins. If the outside temp is about 20 degrees or so, then the heat last much longer. It seems to be when the temp is hovering around 0, it is pretty much useless. Today's high is 3....

510wizard
Supporter

Postby 510wizard » 20 Jan 2012 08:50

One of the best things that I ever did was put a heater in the workshop with a thermostat. After the installation, it was one of those moments of why didn't I do this years before.

Return to “Project Builds”