1972 510 4dr "restoration"...

View and post your 510 project(s)
HardParkInc
Supporter

1972 510 4dr "restoration"...

Post by HardParkInc »

Well, I finally gave in and picked up a 510. It is a very very sad 1972 4dr, original color was I believe red and someone repainted it a slightly darker red later on in it's life.

It does not run (removed engine), it is rusty. Came with a 4spd and a L18, r180 diff and a bigger sway bar in the front.

The L18 will be for sale as well as the 4spd. Which last time I saw the car ran pretty good.

The plan for this car is to "restore" it and swap a ca18det or a ka24de with a mp62. Engine management is going to be a MS-I v3.... I always end up with these somehow on parts trades.
(if anyone needs a MS-I v2.2 with a 12ft harness let me know)

Can anyone tell me what wheels those are? They are 14 in diameter but I have no clue of the width.

Once my evo is out of the garage, I will probably put this on a rotisserie and it will end getting sand blasted in the back yard after I do the major rust repair.

Here are some photos of the car and how terribly rusted it is:

Goals/questions/figure s#!7 out for this car:
- Clean up rust
- Replace panels that need to be replaced
- figure out the swap.... KA24des/CA18det/13bPP/SR20det?
- get 280zx front struts and brakes
- 240sx coilovers
- eventually make a different rear subframe
- flares: ZG/mk2golf+mk1rabbit?
- color: light oem blue/orange/rally red/grauschwarz?
- to rollbar/cage or not to?
- rewire whole car
- wheels: ROTA RB 13x8(narrow tire since sumitomo 215/50r13 is gone ) or rota rkr 15x8 (225/45r15 hankook rs-3)?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 1972 510 4dr "restoration"...

Post by okayfine »

Good luck. That is some serious rust, and that's just what's in the pictures. It can be done, but are there not other candidates that'll work out better in the short and long terms?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
HardParkInc
Supporter

Post by HardParkInc »

okayfine wrote:Good luck. That is some serious rust, and that's just what's in the pictures. It can be done, but are there not other candidates that'll work out better in the short and long terms?

I'm in Michigan and $500 for this car was decent with a good L18.

There is not that much rust on it.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

HardParkInc wrote:
I'm in Michigan and $500 for this car was decent with a good L18.

There is not that much rust on it.
That you can see. Cars with that kind of serious rust in those place are going to have a lot lurking in places that you can not see. If this plans to be a decent restoration, I would do some exploration into some of the classic problem areas.
What do you suppose shipping a short block would be to the East coast? I need an L18.
HardParkInc
Supporter

Post by HardParkInc »

The engine is already sold locally.

And the shell is going on a roto.
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

that's a parts car where I'm from. I suggest you replace the whole front end not just patch up the rust .that calls for another parts car for the front end doglegs rockers floor pans ect ."frame" rails are toast. Where there is smoke...

real world answers not watered down bullshit. Its going to take a lot of time and money. Its very rewarding to know you did it and see it come to life. It was for me and my 510

get in contact with yenpit and get a real car worth restoring. i think its a better choice all around and at the asking price you will be ahead in the long run
HardParkInc
Supporter

Post by HardParkInc »

philcas1987,
i have looked over the car, did not take more pictures but the car is savable and will not get used as a parts car. For me the car is a perfect starting point for what it's getting. Which rocker needs to be replaced? other than the small section on the passenger side by the arch?

Yenpit and I already spoke, he is the one taking my L18 stuff.

I was actually considering picking up a shell from yenpit a few months ago but decided to just wait and get this one.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The wheels look like or are, a variation of the COSMIC "TURBINE" wheels, from the mid to late 70's. I had a set on my 72'. They could be any width, 5.5" to 7". Likely a 6"...what size tire is on it right now?

EDIT; found a better picture
Attachments
old album pictures 024.jpg
old album pictures 024.jpg (149.16 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Keith, I think I need to come over one rainy day with coffee and donuts and look through your treasure trove of photos!
That last pick of you, with the 914, Abarth and I think 1 124 with various other cars in the background at Boundary Bay... cool photos my friend.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Apologies for quick thread hijack....

Bit of history on that first picture...

That is not ME getting into my car, that is Gary Milligan, one of the fastest Solo drivers in North America right now, in A-MOD. I had spent that last two seasons working on my suspension, by myself. While I was getting fast, I was not fast enough. He and I had started soloing together at the same time, he had a lotus Europa at the time, and was very fast. I put my ego on the shelf, and asked him to drive my car, to see if it was ME..or my car......He instantly put two seconds on me, which is a ton in Solo time. He said the suspension was just fine...so WE know what the conclusion was.....I NEEDED TO DRIVE BETTER! With some input as he watched, I learned where I needed to be smoother. And, I at least knew that my suspension work was going in the right direction, another BIG bonus.

So all you aspiring race drivers out there..it never hurts to let someone faster than you, try your car......

The other fellow standing is Bill Yearwood, at the time a helicopter pilot, who had a very fast BMW. He used to take us on "scenic tours" in the Jet Ranger, buzzing the Boundry Bay airport runway when not in use at 150 MPH, and 20 feet off the deck..Jeez was that fun, what a sense of speed, then he would pull up hard at the end, really feel the G-s build. That was the company perk he had, the use of the helicopter for fun rides for his friends.He even gave me the controls once over Burns Bog......I knew right away I was not cut out to be a helicopter pilot.....He is now the head of our Transport Safety board, investigating air crashes and accidents.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer