BradMartinfl's 1970 4 door project

View and post your 510 project(s)
BradMartinFL

BradMartinfl's 1970 4 door project

Post by BradMartinFL »

I just recently bought this car. I've always wanted one and I finally found one so here we go! This build won't be a featured build by no means due to my current situation. I am a college student, working part time, going to school full time, taking care of my sisters kids *long story..* and also working on an internship and joining a fraternity to get that networking even better than what I have now! I am going to keep the current engine in the car for a while, it runs great, probably gets decent gas mileage, and is all I can really afford right now. However I would eventually like to put a ca18det in it if I can find one for a decent price. I plan to do a cream, deep-dark red two tone.. maybe. I'd also like to lower the car and put some 14" wheels on it. Perhaps the 6-spoke 280zx wheels. Other than that, I'd like to do a red carpet, cream seats interior and custom gauges because these stock gauges are pretty weak. Anyways, I look forward to your feedback on my car, always enjoy the input of others. The journey begins!

For those that didn't see my intro thread I'll re-post my pics of when I got the car.

Last edited by BradMartinFL on 10 Mar 2012 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
BradMartinFL

Re: BradMartinfl's 1970 4 door project

Post by BradMartinFL »

What I have done so far:
-Change
-spark plugs
-plug wires
-coil
-alternator
-voltage regulator
-distributor cap
-rotor
-coolant flush
-oil change
-fuel filter
-carburetor
-air filter
-headlights along with all other bulbs

Today I decided to do a little tinkering on the car, I installed a Wink rearview mirror (super cool, love it) I was surprised at how cheap it was $20 at the Pep Boys I work at.

I also did a little cleaning in the engine bay.. Before/after
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

BradMartinFL wrote:This build won't be a featured build by no means due to my current situation.
Featured Build isn't max dollars spent or blingy builds, but quality of work and quality of build thread.

Keeping everything status-quo is the way to go until you really drive it a while and figure out what you want. Start sourcing the "How To Keep Your Datsun Alive" book. Factory 510 info is available on The 510 Archives.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Abebooks.com and amazon.com have copies for $55 plus s&h.
Not too bad considering how useful the book is for maintaining a stock 510 if you're a noob.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Totally worth it at that price. You might question that judgement, but that book is seriously good, and invaluable to a new 510 owner. The illustrations themselves are works of art.

Heck, I bought that book off the shelf before I'd even bought a 510, so impressed was I by the entire thing.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

That Dime looks to be in really good shape. You've got a great car there. Like OK said take your time and really get to know it before modifying. Over time the car will tell you what it needs. Welcome to the Realm and Enjoy the ride.

With all that free time you should get yourself a hobby... like pottery, or basket weaving. :lol: :lol:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
brian99eh

Post by brian99eh »

I might be letting the front struts, springs front and rear, and some brand new t3 camber plates go. The struts are 81 200sx that were shortend by Dp racing with dp lowering springs 240 z front calipers tockiko 5 way adjustables for a 300zx and some other parts go fairly cheap. im in tampa so i could meet you half way if your interested. id like to see them go to a nice car. I think this is a perfect set up for some one who is not going to build a track car. I have all the paper work for the parts. also a momo wheel with datsun logo and a few other ods and ends.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Post this stuff in the classified sections, that's where you need to announce parts for sale. Take some picts, break it up into individual adds and you should be able to move it. This is the kind of stuff people are looking for all the time.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
brian99eh

Post by brian99eh »

I was just hoping to help another Florida 510er
BradMartinFL

Post by BradMartinFL »

Thanks, Brian, I sent you a PM we can talk about your stuff over PM. Check your PM inbox.