Noobie's 510 project

View and post your 510 project(s)
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Noobie's 510 project

Post by DADZSUN » 19 Sep 2019 10:56

broke wrote:
28 Jul 2019 15:45
I like what you're doing with the plug-in CV axles. Very simple and elegant.
Thanks! The upcoming electric steering kit will unfortunately not be as simple, but the end result will still be a super slick setup IMO.

I don't have any pics to show of the steering kit yet but I can finally share some details as I get closer to production:
  • The kit will be 100% bolt-in and reversible using the existing under-dash location
  • Weight gain is expected to be under 15 pounds
  • The kit will include a complete & tested steering column, new firewall plate, new steering shroud and accessory mount, mounting brackets, gold-plated high-end steering U-Joints and stainless shaft (steering shaft/joints are 100% bolt-on, NO welds), wiring and fuse.
  • The OEM column unit will offer collapsible functionality ~2"
  • Tilt, will be offered for LOTS of adjustability. :D
  • Steering wheel depth can be tuned - although not as quickly as the tilt.
  • Pricing has yet to be finalized but I'm confident that it will be in the same range as the CV axles
'72 Datsun 510 - Orange w/Watanabes & KA24E
'76 Datsun 280z - Current rebuild project
'76 Datsun 620 - Future DD
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com

DADZSUN
Supporter

Steering kit update

Post by DADZSUN » 28 Nov 2019 08:15

I've been getting quite a few messages regarding the status of the steering kit so I figured I'd post a 'quiet' update to the Realm faithful.

First off, a substantial change has occurred in the last couple of months regarding my profession. The good news is that I'll be going full-time on Datsun Restomods for the short term future. 8)

Despite the lack of updates, I've been eating & breathing Datsuns daily for close to 60 days now. A lot of time has been focused on building axles and furthering the development of the steering kit. We're close enough now that I can start to share a sneak peek of the final prototype layout - keep in mind the refinement will be further improved.

Adding to the list of updates in the posting above, it's looking like the kit will be sold for $850 USD. I tried as hard as possible to reduce it further but I was unwilling to compromise on the quality, durability, and safety - the steering joints are gorgeous (and pricey!), the steering shaft is stainless, and there are several custom brackets, not to mention 3D printed components.

I'm in the process of finalizing two Beta test kits, one for Andrew and one for Mike. They will provide feedback on the installation instructions, and document any variances in assumptions or difference in tolerances (known to occasionally happen on '70s Datsuns!). If there's no surprises I'll likely offer a small first production batch, at a reduced rate, for some early adopters - no different than how the axles were rolled out.

Steering_1.jpg
Steering_1.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 211 times

This is a rough idea of the master bracket. It will fasten to the OEM mounting location.

Steering_2.jpg
Steering_2.jpg (105.43 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Here is the column mounted along with the control module located in a safe and dry location. You can see one of the two ujoints and new firewall plate.

Steering_3.jpg
Steering_3.jpg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 211 times

A quick view of the ujoint connection to the stock steering box.

Obviously there's a lot more to this, wiring/fuses, steering/hub mount, and column accessories that will be shown in the coming weeks/months. For now I think this gives a good idea of the progress and the amount of R&D that was involved.

Also, I'll be soon posting updates on my 280z build http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29692. With the axles and steering kit being available for the S30 as well, it only makes sense to get mine on the road. Finally, I'll be starting a second build on my 620... let's just say it will be a first-ever. 8)

MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC » 28 Nov 2019 08:34

Nice Job!
If all else fails... try again

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 29 Nov 2019 14:51

Question:

If you have a worn worm and sector gear, how does this system work?

Is it strictly to act as a power steering unit to lessen steering effort?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE » 30 Nov 2019 12:27

Keith, modern cars are going away from hydralic assit units as the weigh more (steering gear pump, lines fluid etc.) this unit is an electric assist that is teamed up with a manual gear/rack. It does need 30-60Amps to work it so a better than stock charging system will most likely be needed. (more steering assist is needed at low vehicle/engine speeds) this is a very cool and compact unit and will be a great addition to these little cars! Watching with great anticipation. These have been used on other hot rods/modified cars as I think this was stated in an earlier post.

DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN » 30 Nov 2019 17:22

Hi Keith, the unit itself is always 'connected' (even with no power), so initial response will always default to your stock setup prior to install.

If the worm drive has slop I imagine the electric motor will quickly pickup the slack. Case in point, my stock steering box is a little sloppy and the electric assist actually seems to take some of that away - per Andrew's comment that it almost feels like a R&P setup. Of note, these are Toyota units so they're very reliable to begin with.

Good call-out Duce on the charging system. I've tested 40A fuse without issues but will be providing 60A Maxi fuse & holder on 8ga wire (11 foot run to accommodate either a front or trunk-mount battery).

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 30 Nov 2019 17:44

Ok, thanks guys.

I think my alternator is a 60 amp'er, would that do it?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer