Adventures of the Deathmobile (II)

View and post your 510 project(s)
MtnGoat

Adventures of the Deathmobile (II)

Post by MtnGoat » 04 Jul 2012 22:36

I thought I might as well start a thread about a slice of life for the six eyed eyed beast.

This weekend did a 5 day camping trip to fly slope gliders at two different mountains in the central Cascades. We spent three days at Table Mountain and 2 days at Roaring Ridge.

What I found when I got to Table, stopping me from the campsite..
IMG1280S.JPG
IMG1280S.JPG (94.34 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Took a while but I handled it
IMG1284S.JPG
IMG1284S.JPG (88.1 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Morning view at Table Mountain
IMG1298S.JPG
IMG1298S.JPG (127.6 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

MtnGoat

Re: Adventures of the Deathmobile (II)

Post by MtnGoat » 04 Jul 2012 22:41

Where you wind up when your airplane turns itself off in midair for reasons unknown. This is called the Walk of Shame and this is the hill we call the cheese grater. It chews up planes and people. Every rock moves when you walk on them.
IMG1332S.JPG
IMG1332S.JPG (182.22 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
Better times at Roaring Ridge..howling wind, great conditions..
IMG1344S.JPG
IMG1344S.JPG (140.03 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
How much fits in a 510, planes under the car
IMG1348S.JPG
IMG1348S.JPG (118.65 KiB) Viewed 5466 times

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » 04 Jul 2012 22:43

Hero Shot on Chumstick Mtn, 5810'.
IMG1352S.JPG
IMG1352S.JPG (88.88 KiB) Viewed 5466 times

Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 » 05 Jul 2012 05:32

Ha, fantastic! You should add 2 more fog light to cover the whole grill. That looks so weird with the fog lights right there. It reminds me of a 3 eyed fish. I love hearing about these great back woods adventures!
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » 05 Jul 2012 10:42

I hadn't thought of that...8 lights! I'm concerned about cooling with the hilll climbs I do so I think I'll let someone else take that leap.

A couple bonus shots for this morning..

The road down from Chumstick peak is pretty exposed and often hated by female passengers, who seem to spend their time fixating on staring straight down the drop off. I'm pretty lucky in that my favorite girl loves this stuff, here's a sample of the road...
IMG1383S.JPG
IMG1383S.JPG (74.88 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
There is a spring with very good water pretty close to the top of Chumstick, we pulled over on the way down to wash our hair and get some backroad grime off of us. Here's the girlfriend getting her kit together, ready to freshen up in the freezing cold water!
IMG1385S.JPG
IMG1385S.JPG (119.04 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Funny story from my return home last night. On the final leg through Goldendale about 40 miles from home this Subaru with a Yakima box on the roof pulled out in front of me from a side road. Whatever. So I back off and let them get up to speed, sort of....after 5 minutes of no constant speed and never at the actual speed limit I've had enough and decide to pass them. There are lots of straights on this section of road and the next one is a long one with no oncoming at all, so I pull out and begin to pass. Well, the dillweed in the Subaru decides he doesn't want me to pass him and starts speeding up.

So I push the pedal all the way down instead of part way and proceed to pull on past him anyway. By the time I'm far enough ahead to pull back over, my speed is approaching one beginning with 9. Meanwhile Mr Subaru has a bit of blue smoke coming out the back..and as I pull in ahead of said Dillweed in spite of his best efforts, Karma shows up and the clamshell Yakima box pops open and immediately begins disgorging it's contents all over the highway. Resulting in a very big laugh from me...if he hadn't pushed it the lid probably would have stayed shut.

If I can have this much fun with the modest but tolerable L20b, I can hardly imagine how entertaining it will be torturing other numbskulls with VG30 'goon someday in the not too distant future.

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » 14 Jul 2012 22:52

Stylin' during a Home Depot run in support of some termite inspired deck work.
home depot 071412sm.JPG
home depot 071412sm.JPG (133.73 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM » 15 Jul 2012 11:06

Always puts a smile on my face to read your posts Mr Goat. I love to see a Datsun really being used and brother you drive like you stole it. Dude, I'd a paid money to have seen that Subi spill it's beans. Karma is a bitch, aint she. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

510rob

Post by 510rob » 15 Jul 2012 12:44

thumbs up!!!

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » 31 Jul 2012 14:11

Thanks guys!

A couple so so pics of our adventure last weekend to good old Bench Lake on the Yakama Nation's chunk of the E side of Mt Adams. They recently graded the road...meaning it was only horrible not double plus godawful. These darned stratovolcanoes are piles of unconsolidated choss, volcanic ash dust and rocks of all sizes. Grading merely means scraping off the worst of the smaller stuff and leaving the monsters embedded, blasting merely removes the obvious ones and reveals two more. Basically the road is like broken bowling balls in 3" of dust.

Heading up the White Salmon River towards Mt Adams you pass through the lovely burg of BZ Corners, a minimart, a cafe, and a bunch of rafting companies..
IMG1673S.JPG
IMG1673S.JPG (74.84 KiB) Viewed 5166 times
After enduring the insane rockfest and choking dust clouds, the destination pays off with some fishing for a 6 year old..
IMG1717S.JPG
IMG1717S.JPG (87.89 KiB) Viewed 5166 times
And some floating with the southern shoulder of Mt Adams peeking out from behind a closer mountain...
IMG1704S.JPG
IMG1704S.JPG (52.94 KiB) Viewed 5166 times

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » 31 Jul 2012 14:30

Being on the reservation land means no fire bans, and unlimited firewood since they've been thinning bug killed trees...
IMG1721S.JPG
IMG1721S.JPG (68.29 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
One more of the Beast in it's preferred element..
IMG1720S.JPG
IMG1720S.JPG (85.86 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
Sunday afternoon we finally grind back out and as always the dust is so thick I can't see a thing out the rear window. The consistency of flour and inches deep makes for some really fierce conditions.

I note the WO2 sensor is reading really rich, but I chalk it up to slow going in first gear on the rocky road. However, when I get back to pavement...it stays pegged at full rich, 10:1. And it's driving like it too...doggy and a bit of a fog out the tailpipe. Not good! I decide since I'm on pavement and it's only a half hour home to pull the filters...HUGE difference. Meter gets to a bit above the 'normal' range I had it dialed in to, now it's running leaner than I had it set. Doesn't go above 16:1 and spends much more of it's time in the 14-15 range which is great. Not only that, the motor is noticeably snappier and happier than usual, as am I.

So it was an interesting trip and I learned something, and now I'm going to get rid of the smaller dual filters I've been running and fabricate a SSS style single large oval filter setup. I want more surface area so it can breathe better and not load up so quickly either. I'm going to poke around filter catalogs until I find some very common oval filter it won't be a pain to get. I know the subies used them for years and if anyone else has a tip on a commonly available oval filter long enough to fit and about 3" thick, I'm all ears.

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS » 31 Jul 2012 15:51

I dont think a 3" filter will be enough for dusty gravel roads. Have you considered an oil bath filter ? i have one on my 52 dodge m37 and after a weekend of wheeling i have seen more than a cup of sand in it. my buddy has a huge 5"x16" paper type on his m37 (251cid) and after a weekend of dusty driving his filter is packed to the point of choking out the motor. I have a tiny foam filter on "6"of rust" and im afraid to take it out when its dry and dusty. i imagine the crosshatching in my bores have been polished out to a mirror like finish from the few miles i have done in the dust. :( if i go turbo i will fit an oil bath in there somewhere, even if i have to make a custom oil bath
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM » 31 Jul 2012 22:11

I go to Burning man with a bunch of buddies and we've always had trouble with our generator crapping out after every dust storm. Our only option was to shut it down during white outs. Three years ago one of the guys fitted a custom made oil bath filter to it and bingo, problem solved, Not sure how it will effect performance though.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 31 Jul 2012 22:54

You know Goat, what impresses me the most is that you do these treks for your kid too!
He's going to grow up knowing he had a way cooler dad then his buddies have, and look how dad got him there!

Awesome, I miss the days of the beater 510 - and trust me I had many of those.

Here's to living vicariously - thanks man, keep the pics coming.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor » 01 Aug 2012 08:10

I like the oil bath idea. Perhaps figure out a way of modifying your current setup so that you can add the oil bath ahead of the paper filter. Design it so that it can be added for your back roads trips but removed for regular use when maximum air flow is required.

And I, like Byron am reminded of my childhood by your adventures although we didn't stray nearly as far off the beaten trail. Keep it up.
1972 Yellow 4dr

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 01 Aug 2012 08:25

Guys back east sell a setup using the oval Subaru filter. Filter edge is exposed to the air, unlike the SSS air cleaner which is sealed except for the small oval intake.

Anyway, if you make/buy something like the exposed Subaru filter setup, then look into one of the sock-type things that the V8 guys use around their big round air cleaners. A pre-filter of sorts. Carry a spare with you on trips like that, change it out at the half-way point.

BTW, your WBO2 readings were a big higher than normal without the filter because even a clean filter has some air-flow resistance. That was part of the air/fuel settings when you did them originally. Without a filter it could pull just that much more air in.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson