Zombie 510 Experiment

View and post your 510 project(s)
djfootball

Zombie 510 Experiment

Post by djfootball » 10 Oct 2012 07:58

Just want to start out by letting the world know that I'm a TOTAL noob when it comes to cars, 510's, engines, tools and women.

I'm currently married, have 3 dogs, a newborn and I have (for some reason) taken on this project that I call the "Zombie 510 Resurrection". I call it that because it's pretty much dead, rusty and zomb-a-fied. My intentions are to bring it back to life and I need all the help I can get.

I ran across depthofspeed.com and became fascinated with a 510 wagon that a guy had built and decided to start my search for a project I could work on. After realizing that it was going to be harder than I thought to find a 510 project car, I ran across a CL add that contained the phrase, "Absolute Junk not even worth scrapping". I called the guy up and decided to take a look and this is what was sitting in the back of his shop.

I know, i know.. it's gone. I'm going to make it live. .. well, I'm going to try.

My plan is to strip the shell of EVERYTHING, sand blast it, patch it up and prep and paint it. At the same time, I plan on pulling the L16 engine that was included and start working on getting it started on a stand.

I'm going to have a lot of questions and I'm determined to move forward with what little monies and knowledge I have. Feel free to review, comment and advise.
Last edited by djfootball on 19 Oct 2012 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

James

Re: Zombie 510 Resurrection

Post by James » 10 Oct 2012 08:11

First question: how many of the missing parts do you have? Finding a lot of the stuff can be hard - but with $$ and patience it can be done.

I admire the effort that you are setting yourself up for.
Finished is better than perfect......

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 10 Oct 2012 08:11

djfootball wrote:I'm a TOTAL noob when it comes to cars, 510's, engines, tools
djfootball wrote:I ran across a CL add that contained the phrase, "Absolute Junk not even worth scrapping".
djfootball wrote:I'm going to have a lot of questions and I'm determined to move forward with what little monies and knowledge I have. Feel free to review, comment and advise.
This is a recipe for disaster, my friend. Say you got that heap for free (and you should have). Even if you paid $4000 for a solid, complete, running, driving 510 in CA and paid another $1000 to ship it to you in NC, you'll be an easy $10,000 under what it would take to bring your current car up to that same standard (of a survivor, not a show car). Much more if you end up trying to build an SR/fresh-paint wonder.

With no mechanical knowledge, no 510 knowledge, no tool knowledge, I do not see how you'll be able to make any headway with what you have, unbridled enthusiasm not withstanding. I'm not in any way sure that you can even properly assess the car you have. Even if the car you have was in good shape, simply replacing all the missing parts will cost you thousands since you're on the other side of the continent from where most of the 510 parts are.

All of which sounds like I'm trying to dissuade you from attempting what you're proposing. I am. I'm not, however, trying to dissuade you from 510 ownership. Buy a stock runner, drive it, learn mechanical skills from it, read and reread everything in the thread I linked you to, and at some future point you can jump into a project like you have. Heck, I've been involved with 510s for 18 years and I would not jump into your project.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 10 Oct 2012 08:19

So, i borrowed an engine hoist from the guy I bought the car from and bought an engine stand from harbor freight.

Here's some progress photos:

The engine seemed to have a bit of oil in it but now I'm wondering if I need to break the engine down or just add some new oil, put the covers back on and try to see if it will fire. I have a Hitachi carb but it needs a lot of work, cleaning ect.. In the mean time, I bought a cheap media blaster, 50lbs of glass and I plan on testing out how the blast process is going to work with my tiny air compressor. If my compressor is too small I'll probably have to rent one from the local equipment rental place. I'll probably start with the blasting on the trunk.

HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC » 10 Oct 2012 08:40

Unless these pictures are really misleading, I think the motor is going to be the least of your worries.

Look at that car...like Okayfine said in your other post, these cars literally rust from the inside out. On top of this, they are unibody cars, meaning layers and layers of sheet metal under every structural piece that is likely rotting away on your car. Your plan to blast the car, patch it, and repaint it may be a great idea if all the car had was some surface patina, but your car seems to have much more than that. You can't really just "patch" problems like this. We're talking about replacing frame rails and rocker boxes, rebuilding fender arches and wheel wells. This is serious...serious metal work. It takes a wizard to even recreate those panels, much less weld them in properly. Patch panels for these cars are more of a DIY or make-it-fit proposition, so unless you've got a full sheet metal shop in your garage, you're going to have to pay a wizard to make them for you. Okayfine is not exaggerating the cost of such a proposition.

You also need doors, trunk, hood, a full interior. You basically need an entire second car worth of parts to resurrect this one. Many people buy two 510s to start with. It makes sense to have a parts car. Trust me. Make this car your parts car. Find another solid shell with all the parts you need and no rust, and start working on that one.

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 10 Oct 2012 08:40

James wrote:First question: how many of the missing parts do you have? Finding a lot of the stuff can be hard - but with $$ and patience it can be done.

I admire the effort that you are setting yourself up for.

I'm glad you asked that question because I really wanted to go in depth on my purchase but felt like I was writing a book on my first thread.

When i saw the shell, it basically contained a rusty shell, trunk and hood with working latches, no front quarter panels, no doors, included some old tires and wheels, no rear glass panels, no seats, basically what you see in the photo. I agreed to take it off his hands and when I did, the parts just started falling from above, literally.

This nice gentleman started rearranging his entire garage on my behalf just to get to parts that have been stored away for no telling how long. He ended up giving me a ton of extra parts lighting assemblies, air filter assembly, trim parts, complete doors (one panel in tact), both front quarter panels (one needs work) ect... The gentleman was very fair and offered his tools and garage at my disposal only knowing me from the purchase of the car. In some ways I feel like I was meant for this... .. I currently have his engine hoist and need to return it. He's building a 510 race car and has an old goon as well. All of this 3 min. from my house!
I wouldn't doubt that he's a member but for now I'd rather not disclose his info.

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 10 Oct 2012 08:47

I'm liking where this is going. All this info is awesome and I'm taking notes as I'm receiving feedback already! Thank you so much for your honesty and advise as i'm taking what everyone is saying into consideration but either way i'm going to have to work with what I've got or it's nothing at all unless someone knows where a cheap shell is in my area.
Last edited by djfootball on 10 Oct 2012 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

James

Post by James » 10 Oct 2012 08:48

L series engines are tough. I would clean it up, get carb sorted - it will probably run.

I don't know. If you want to spend your time this way - no problem. It probably won't be easy - but it could be somewhat fun. I like this project better than someone who is cutting up a decent stocker for a V8 swap.

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 10 Oct 2012 09:06

looks like it's going to be a long trail of tears but all I really have is time. Hopefully a better shell will fall into place but in the mean time I'll clean up the carb and see if I can get it installed and try and turn the engine over. Anyone have any links to good L16 projects and how to get them started on a engine stand?

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 10 Oct 2012 09:12

djfootball wrote:Thank you so much for your honesty and advise as i'm taking what everyone is saying into consideration but either way i'm going to have to work with what I've got or it's nothing at all unless someone knows where a cheap shell is in my area.
:shock:

So...thanks for warning you off of spending all your time and money on a bottomless pit, but you're going to do it anyway because you don't have the money? :roll:

You're not reading what we're writing. If you want to do it anyway, it's your wallet. But then don't ask for advice if you're not going to at least take it into consideration.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 10 Oct 2012 09:16

djfootball wrote:in the mean time I'll clean up the carb and see if I can get it installed and try and turn the engine over. Anyone have any links to good L16 projects and how to get them started on a engine stand?
If you don't lay out this project and plan for success, you're just going to be jumping from one fire into another and getting burned. Do you have a factory service manual for your car? No? Get one.

Second, read this three times, slowly:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13589

Take that and plan out your project. As Hudson suggested above, the L16 is the LEAST of your concerns. Anything that is wrong with it can be put right for small-to-medium amounts of money. Parts are available for that online or from your FLAPS. The engine is going to be an afterthought in the scheme of your overall project.

James

Post by James » 10 Oct 2012 09:24

Indy 510 would drive that the way it is - only way lower with stupidly wide rims........and then slowly dissect it and disassemble it - with a beautiful photo documentary until it was a pile of metal on the gravel in his drive :D .

That car - with the parts you have could come back as a ratsun rod style car a lot easier than heading towards show car stuff. There is no right or wrong - especially with a car like that.

Okay is right though. If you were to drop 5k and find a nice(r) stock car you would be WAY ahead. Work on it - get it running, and keep your eyes open for a better shell.

Some good video for you to watch would be the guys from sweden who purchased a "rust free" Z.

Project never got finished - but you can see what happens to these cars with the rust. The videos are well done - worth the time to watch them all. They had 3-4 guys, a shop and $$$. It still didn't get done - don't really know why.

http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mull/wmv/

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 10 Oct 2012 09:43

Maybe he was a little too self deprecating in the top post. He obviously has SOME knowledge in order to be able to use hand tools and remove the motor/tranny, even if he did do it the hard way.

OP, tell us the condition of the floors and rockers, that'll help indicate the ammount of work ahead. Oh, BTW, the bolt-on front side body work are properly called fenders, the quarter panels are in the rear.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 10 Oct 2012 09:43

James wrote:If you were to drop 5k and find a nice(r) stock car you would be WAY ahead. Work on it - get it running, and keep your eyes open for a better shell.
OP, what's your budget for getting this car you have running and driving? What's your goal for this project?

Until and unless we get close-up pictures of the rust this car has, I think it's too early to say that Indy510 would even have anything to do with it! Indy admits he didn't know the extent of the rust before he started cutting. Though I figure he was going to do all the cutting anyway. That said, we all warned Indy early on about his project, back with the other car and the motorcycle engine...and he later said we were right. Didn't stop him, but...

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 10 Oct 2012 10:27

S15DET wrote:

OP, tell us the condition of the floors and rockers, that'll help indicate the ammount of work ahead. Oh, BTW, the bolt-on front side body work are properly called fenders, the quarter panels are in the rear.
Who is OP? or what does it stand for? I'm going to take photos of the floor and rockers and i'll post them asap and thanks for the correction on the fenders.