Zombie 510 Experiment

View and post your 510 project(s)
HudsonMC

Re: Zombie 510 Experiment

Post by HudsonMC » 25 Oct 2012 07:46

djfootball wrote:Oh wait. does anyone know if 4dr panels will work on my 2dr? If not, door panels are not a big deal to me.
I believe the 2 door doors are longer, so no.

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET » 25 Oct 2012 09:08

But check out the rest, rear quarters, floors, rockers/sills, trunk floor, etc. If any is solid it's worth saving.

HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC » 25 Oct 2012 09:14

S15DET wrote:But check out the rest, rear quarters, floors, rockers/sills, trunk floor, etc. If any is solid it's worth saving.
True that. The glass is a huge bonus too. New windshield and rear glass. SCORE!

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 30 Oct 2012 04:04

I've decided instead of using the 1/8" thick tube steel, I'm going to break some 22g sheet metal to the exact size it needs to be. I found that using the 2" tube steel leaves about a 1/4" gap and I don't want to mess with trying to shim it out. Until then, I've managed to clean up my engine bay and it's ready for POR15 and a top coat.

blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed » 03 Nov 2012 07:57

DJ! I've got a metal brake here in the shop wide enought to make that front section, so make sure you don't pay someone unless you have to. That said, when I've bigger jobs, like recreating the rockers, B+H Sheetmetal downtown Avl was great - very easy to work with and they accurately made me two outer 510 rockers from my simple ("bend down, bend up, match this profile" -type drawings

22g might be fine, but I'd suggest 18g or so for that front section though (A little more good steel is important when tying in to the chassis -and there's precious little good metal left on the Zombie- anyways for 18g sheet - if I don't have any around you can often find it cheap (just by weight) at BIMCO downtown (the metal recycling yard). They get scrap from Altec, a factory that fabricates truck service bodies, they get scrap from Buck Stove, which laser-cuts sheet steel, and they get scrap from several local machine shops, so if you're patient, and can "go browse a few times" you can find clean, unrusted sheet, tubing, and sometimes little "drops" of rod or billet. It's much nicer to have clean steel - much time saved, and the weld result is better, and paint pre less....

I can see you've got your teeth sunk into this project, and folks are pointing you straight! - rock on - I'm happy to help when I can - J

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 14 Nov 2012 04:28

I'll be dabbling here and there on this zombie project from here on out due to the fact that....

I GOT MY WAGON !!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dream has come true in the form of an orange painted, iron beauty !!

Somehow in the past 3 months I've acquired 2 510's, a plethora of parts and a "Mr. Miyagi" type Datsun Sensei, friend that lives just down the road from me, high a top a beautiful mountain where he's got me carrying water and punching boards in order to mold me into a championship winning Datsun mechanic. :lol: :lol:

I just want to say that I appreciate all the info and help (again) so far, that all of you guys have given me. The idea of starting over and finding something with a more tangible goal was the best decision ever made. I'm glad I could make it happen.

Now, the big question. Is Ratsun the place to post wagon builds? Are there more wagon builds on 510 realm? Is 510realm and Ratsun friends? I'll create a build thread once I get the facts. :lol:

Until then, here's a teaser.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 14 Nov 2012 06:20

I'd love to see you keep the build here, wagon or sedan would not make a difference in any way. And certainly there is no lack of wagon specific knowledge here.... That said, browse at will. There are many who browse both sites, keep your horizons broad. I just wish there were more hours in the day myself.

Can't wait to see more photos of your new project, what are your plans for the wagon?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 14 Nov 2012 06:53

Ratsun is more Datsun-centric, in that they have forums and members with just about everything Datsun produced over the years. The Realm is 510-centric. Which you post to is more a matter of which culture you mesh with better.

Glad you got a solid 510 to play with. Once you've got a few cars under you, Zombie will look more and more possible.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

djfootball

Post by djfootball » 14 Nov 2012 11:01

I decided to stick with the realm for now. So here's the wagon thread:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24710